Does the reference 980 ti experience thermal throttling.

maizenblue

Non reference 980's like the ACX 2.0 had some pretty decent factory overclocks but only saw 2 or 3 extra FPS in most games at 1440p, But Non reference 980 Ti's like the MSI Twin Frozr are seeing like 10-15 FPS more for the same overclock.

The Reference 980 ti quickly hits 84C in games with the default fan curve, so im wondering if the card isn't even able to run at normal clock speeds because the card throttles at that point and this is the reason non reference 980 TI's are performing so much better.

If that's the case why didn't reviewers even mention this when they reviewed the reference 980 ti?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

In most cases it's not thermal throttling, but that it doesn't seem to boost as high as non-reference 

"Rawr XD"

In most cases it's not thermal throttling, but that it doesn't seem to boost as high as non-reference 

That makes sense.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

As @Aniallation said, its not thermal throttling, it just doesnt boost as high due to thermals. The titan x does the same with reference cooling, although its more noticeable.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

So basically it really does pay off to get a non reference 980 ti. I just bought an Asus reference model because they were on sale for 604 on Amazon this weekend, but I was assuming the non reference models would only see a few FPS as well unless you really overclocked the shit out of them, then I just looked at some benchmarks today and realized its a pretty big difference.

I was content to just let the thing run at 84-86c, because its rated to 92c and under warranty so who cares, but now that I know it might be costing me performance its a little bigger deal.

Oh well, I can always turn up the fan speed if I can tolerate the noise, which probably wont be the case because I thought my reference 970 was loud even at default settings. Maybe I'll look into a watercooling set up sometime down the line.

The GM200 throttles it's boost at 84 degrees, and at 92 degrees it throttles the stock speeds. Set up a more aggressive fan curve, increase the amount of case fans and/or acquire higher quality fans. If your room is hot, get an air condition.

I'm not sure if you can manually change throttle thresholds, but i would imagine it would void your warranty. Nor am i sure at which point the GPU shuts off entirely, i'm guessing around the 95 degree point, the 92 base clock throttle being a last ditch effort to prevent permanent damage.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

Non reference 980's like the ACX 2.0 had some pretty decent factory overclocks but only saw 2 or 3 extra FPS in most games at 1440p, But Non reference 980 Ti's like the MSI Twin Frozr are seeing like 10-15 FPS more for the same overclock.

The Reference 980 ti quickly hits 84C in games with the default fan curve, so im wondering if the card isn't even able to run at normal clock speeds because the card throttles at that point and this is the reason non reference 980 TI's are performing so much better.

If that's the case why didn't reviewers even mention this when they reviewed the reference 980 ti?

no

GPUBoost2.0 will reduce your overclock and overvolt as the temp increases. but its still higher than "stock"

My card on stock was holding around 1200 MHz completely stock with no changes, I increased the fan profile to run a little more aggressively (still quitter than my r9 290 was) and it was more like 1250mhz. 

I was able to get 1380 MHz on the stock cooler without throttling and with reasonable fan noise

I was able to get 1480mhz on the stock cooler with 100% fan speed (fekn loud!)

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.