Freenas 3x6TB WD Reds?

Hi I need abit of help.

Im planning my freenas build...

I think im going to use 3x6TB WD REDs in RaidZ1 would this be ok considering there 6TB in RaidZ1? I dont know how well RaidZ1 works with 6TB Drives?

Also Would i be able to use 4x6TB RaidZ1? I dont see the point in using 4x6TB RaidZ2 so i thought 3x6TB RaidZ1 made more sense.

\\ Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 5GHz // Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77 X-UD4H  // CPU BL: EK-Supremacy EVO Acetal // Pump+Top: EK-D5 Vario + X-TOP  // Res: Bitspower Z-Multi 250mm  // Rads: Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 80mm 480mm + Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 480mm  // GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X 3GB GDDR5 OC 1100MHz//1550MHz // GPU BL: Alphacool NexXxos GPXR9280M07 // PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850AXUK // RAM: 16GB 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance LP 1600MHz // Tubing: Xspc HighFlex 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD // Fittings: EK-CSQ 13/19mm + EK-AF 45°/90° + Koolance QD3 + Others  // HDDs: 256GB Crucial M4 + 30GB OCZSSD2-1VTX30G  + 8TB Seagate 3.5  // Fan Control: Lamptron Touch 30w x 6 // Fans: Noiseblocker BlackSilent PL2 1400rpm x12 + BitFenix 140mm Spectre PRO 1200rpm x2 // OS: Windows 8.1 X64 // LEDS: Darkside // Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 // Keyboards: Corsair Vengeance K95 + Logitech G13 // Monitors: Eizo Forbis FS2333BK x3 \\

Yup that would work fine. It's not really to do with the capacity of the drives, as it is more an issue with the number of parity drives to total disks in the array.

You want at least 1 Parity drive for every 5-6 disks.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Look into smaller drives. I made the comparison when I planned my NAS, and found the 3TB and 4TB to be much cheaper per GB than the 6TB drives.

You may be able to get that 18TB (12TB usable) cheaper by going for 6x 3TB (4x 3TB + 2x 3TB for redundancy, which also means you can run RAIDZ2 rather than Z1)

Hi I need abit of help.

Im planning my freenas build...

I think im going to use 3x6TB WD REDs in RaidZ1 would this be ok considering there 6TB in RaidZ1? I dont know how well RaidZ1 works with 6TB Drives?

Also Would i be able to use 4x6TB RaidZ1? I dont see the point in using 4x6TB RaidZ2 so i thought 3x6TB RaidZ1 made more sense.

Hey TJSidhu,

Less drives in an array should theoretically mean less mechanical units that can fail. More drives - larger chance of failure. On the other side, if you have more drives and can use two drives for redundancy instead of one that would be much safer than using only one (the RAIDZ2 option). 

Larger drives are generally faster compared to the ones with lower capacity due to data density so you should get faster speeds provided you use the same amount of data. 

It really depends on how much safety, number of drives and speed you are looking for. :) If using more drives or would like more speed (and your budget allows it) I could suggest checking out WD Red Pro: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=iKEJdf

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey TJSidhu,

Less drives in an array should theoretically mean less mechanical units that can fail. More drives - larger chance of failure. On the other side, if you have more drives and can use two drives for redundancy instead of one that would be much safer than using only one (the RAIDZ2 option). 

Larger drives are generally faster compared to the ones with lower capacity due to data density so you should get faster speeds provided you use the same amount of data. 

It really depends on how much safety, number of drives and speed you are looking for. :) If using more drives or would like more speed (and your budget allows it) I could suggest checking out WD Red Pro: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=iKEJdf

Captain_WD.

Look into smaller drives. I made the comparison when I planned my NAS, and found the 3TB and 4TB to be much cheaper per GB than the 6TB drives.

You may be able to get that 18TB (12TB usable) cheaper by going for 6x 3TB (4x 3TB + 2x 3TB for redundancy, which also means you can run RAIDZ2 rather than Z1)

Yup that would work fine. It's not really to do with the capacity of the drives, as it is more an issue with the number of parity drives to total disks in the array.

You want at least 1 Parity drive for every 5-6 disks.

Thanks for your comments...

I was reading somewhere RaidZ2 should be used with 6 or more drives?

Also can I mix drives 6TB's with 4TB's? I'm most likely not going to do this was just wondering.

I'm going to use the Node 605 case it only holds 4xHDD That's why I wanted to go with bigger size and less drives.

Option 1) 3x6TB WD REDs in RaidZ1 - I would like to do RaidZ2 but don't have the budget right now for the extra drive. When I get the money ill get the 4 drive and go RaidZ2.

Option 2) 4x4TB RaidZ2 - Going 4TB's I would save £100. but would lose 4TB of data space and add 1 extra drive space.. don't have the space for 6 drives etc so would be stuck at 8TB/8TB.

other options for cases  [u-NAS NSC-800 or SilverStone DS380] Would have to spend more money as cases cost more and would have to get extra psu for case aswell.

I think I might have to stick with option 1) or find a new case =(

\\ Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 5GHz // Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77 X-UD4H  // CPU BL: EK-Supremacy EVO Acetal // Pump+Top: EK-D5 Vario + X-TOP  // Res: Bitspower Z-Multi 250mm  // Rads: Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 80mm 480mm + Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 480mm  // GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X 3GB GDDR5 OC 1100MHz//1550MHz // GPU BL: Alphacool NexXxos GPXR9280M07 // PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850AXUK // RAM: 16GB 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance LP 1600MHz // Tubing: Xspc HighFlex 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD // Fittings: EK-CSQ 13/19mm + EK-AF 45°/90° + Koolance QD3 + Others  // HDDs: 256GB Crucial M4 + 30GB OCZSSD2-1VTX30G  + 8TB Seagate 3.5  // Fan Control: Lamptron Touch 30w x 6 // Fans: Noiseblocker BlackSilent PL2 1400rpm x12 + BitFenix 140mm Spectre PRO 1200rpm x2 // OS: Windows 8.1 X64 // LEDS: Darkside // Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 // Keyboards: Corsair Vengeance K95 + Logitech G13 // Monitors: Eizo Forbis FS2333BK x3 \\

~snip~

Mixing different sized HDDs in the same RAID array would only limit the size of the larger ones to the size of the smallest. The way RAID works is that it limits the size of all drives to the one of the smallest in the array and the speed of all drives to the one of the slowest.

I'd first consider how much storage space is really needed now and down the road and see if you can get some of the storage space now nad upgrade later or you would need the maximum possible now. If you can hold it with the storage space for now, I would look for a bigger case and more powerful parts and leave the HDD expansion for when more funds are available. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/