Stresstesting my PC

Drooling Guy

Let's say I just finished building my PC what are the programms that I should use to stresstest it, for how long should I run them and and what are some things(temp,...) I should look out for?

Thanks to any responses in advance:)

Prime95 is a great way to go for CPUs, I'd test for at least a few hours.

For GPUs, any demanding game or benchmark should work, you can try Unigine Valley.

If you wanna test your memory use memtest86.

If your CPU gets over about 75c that's not very good.

I wouldn't let my GPU get over 80c.

Hope this helps. :)

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

What are your system specs? Just curious about it =)

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

What are your system specs? Just curious about it =)

i7 5820k

Asus gtx 970 turbo oc

Msi X99s sli plus

8 GB Crucial ballistix sport

Noctua nhu14s

i7 5820k

Asus gtx 970 turbo oc

Msi X99s sli plus

8 GB Crucial ballistix sport

Noctua nhu14s

Oh dear, another super pc  ;)

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

You don't really need to run any stress tests unless you really aim for OC. Just some basic benchmarks like Cinebench, Unigine and 3DMark should give you idea (score) of everything working. Plus running them with MSI Afterburner or another system monitor will show if your cooling is working.

E: I haven't run any since I changed mobo. Just checked that CPU cooler is seated properly and amped my last settings.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You don't really need to run any stress tests unless you really aim for OC. Just some basic benchmarks like Cinebench, Unigine and 3DMark should give you idea (score) of everything working. Plus running them with MSI Afterburner or another system monitor will show if your cooling is working.

E: I haven't run any since I changed mobo. Just checked that CPU cooler is seated properly and amped my last settings.

I concur in part. Stress testing can also reveal if you have any faulty hardware and tell you, before you start trying to play games and the like, whether your system can handle the kind of stresses you intend to use. While most benchmarks and stress tests are overkill, that's the intent. It's like seeing if a word processor can still run smoothly when you paste 50 copies of War and Peace into one document. No one is ever going to do that, but it could reveal problems that otherwise would be missed that could have real world impact.

Let's say I just finished building my PC what are the programms that I should use to stresstest it, for how long should I run them and and what are some things(temp,...) I should look out for?

Thanks to any responses in advance:)

Prime95 has already been recommended, but there are similar applications out there as well. Folding@Home also has a stress tester for the CPU, but Prime95 can stress things much more. For the graphics card, Unigine Valley or Unigine Heaven are the ones recommended most. I'd recommend the latter over the former since it appears to have a more dynamic use of the graphics engine compared to Valley. And for monitoring temperatures, CPU-Z HWMonitor.

And if you really want to check the stability of your system, run both Prime95 and Heaven simultaneously -- yes you can do this. This will tell you quite quickly how well your cooling works and how well your PSU can stand up to the stress you put on it.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Prime95 is a great way to go for CPUs, I'd test for at least a few hours.

Please do not use Prime95 if you have a haswell, haswell-e, or later CPU.  It uses a different instruction set that overvolts the CPU.  This is old and dated thinking back when CPUs had much different architecture. 

I use a combination of the following:

CPU - Intel Burn Test

RAM - LinX

GPU - Furmark

Another good contender (that Linus prefers)

Aida64

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts.