EK-XRES D5 Pump/Res combo in Obsidian 750D?

Go to solution Solved by W-L,

-SNIP-

I would mount it right beside the grommet holes (to the right) and just drill some new mounting points or fabricate a bracket to sit flat on that section but alternatively as you have linked mounting it on the front rad is just as possible.

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with mounting a EK-XRES D5 Pump/res combo (https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-xres-100-d5-vario-incl-pump) in an Obsidian 750D case.

I was planning on mounting it on the motherboard tray where the rubber grommets are using the included EK-UNI holder. But after some measurement, I've realized that the existing holes are not far apart enough and I don't have an electric drill to drill an additional hole.

I was thinking about using either one of this:

https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-uni-pump-holder-120mm-fan

https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-uni-holder-50-70

The water cooling setup will be a front 280 and top 360 rad both 45mm thick.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

-SNIP-

I would mount it right beside the grommet holes (to the right) and just drill some new mounting points or fabricate a bracket to sit flat on that section but alternatively as you have linked mounting it on the front rad is just as possible.

I've never owned or used a drill in my life.

I don't mind drilling a hole but I'm afraid of messing it up and damaging the case or something.

What drill bit would you recommend? And do I need to do something like file the edges after drilling?

I've never owned or used a drill in my life.

I don't mind drilling a hole but I'm afraid of messing it up and damaging the case or something.

What drill bit would you recommend? And do I need to do something like file the edges after drilling?

I would say get a fairly budget friendly one it comes in handy even around the house just in case, but for metal just mark the locations and center punch the metal where you want to drill, it will stop the drill bit from walking around when you try to drill through it.

As for bits just look for a decent set of metal bits, for the edge of the holes you can use a a lager bit to chamber the edge in reverse on the drill to remove burrs.

I would say get a fairly budget friendly one it comes in handy even around the house just in case, but for metal just mark the locations and center punch the metal where you want to drill, it will stop the drill bit from walking around when you try to drill through it.

As for bits just look for a decent set of metal bits, for the edge of the holes you can use a a lager bit to chamber the edge in reverse on the drill to remove burrs.

Good news. I just bought the EK pump/res combo and turns out that the EK-UNI holder included has a third mounting hole and it seems to fit the existing holes on the case. So I think drilling might not be necessary.

Funny, the pictures and instruction manuals on EK's website don't show it like that. (https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-uni-holder-d5-v3)

Thanks anyway for all the info. I'll keep that in mind if the time comes when I'm in a situation like this again.

Good news. I just bought the EK pump/res combo and turns out that the EK-UNI holder included has a third mounting hole and it seems to fit the existing holes on the case. So I think drilling might not be necessary.

Funny, the pictures and instruction manuals on EK's website don't show it like that. (https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-uni-holder-d5-v3)

Thanks anyway for all the info. I'll keep that in mind if the time comes when I'm in a situation like this again.

Hmm I didn't know they made a bracket like that actually I can see how that can come in handy for shorter reservoirs.

Hmm I didn't know they made a bracket like that actually I can see how that can come in handy for shorter reservoirs.

Yeah, it's also included with the pump/res combo like I said.

As you can see, there are 2 holes that are used to mount the holder on a vertical surface. The one that came with the pump/res combo I just got has a third hole, which is weird, since EK is usually specific about their products as far as I know.

Yeah, it's also included with the pump/res combo like I said.

As you can see, there are 2 holes that are used to mount the holder on a vertical surface. The one that came with the pump/res combo I just got has a third hole, which is weird, since EK is usually specific about their products as far as I know.

As long as it holds it firmly shouldn't be a problem  :)