2.4GHz vs 5GHz IP Addressing

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

It's okay from the device's point of view, as they're considered different connections. However, it may be confusing from a logical standpoint. It depends on how much you need to actually do anything with the IP addresses. As you're using DHCP, it's not like the addresses are arranged in any way very specific. 

If it is an issue, you may be able to assign DHCP pools for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signal separately, so they can't overlap. 

Hey everyone,

So I'm new-ish into the IT world. I have a minor in CS and have just finished my first week of my first "real person" job, a Help Desk Analyst position. I'm configuring my wireless network as two different SSID's, one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz. The issue I'm having is that DHCP is assigning two different devices the same IP. These devices are split between the 2.4GHz network and the 5GHz network. My question is that if it's okay to have the same IP address considering they are on the two different SSID's. 

Thanks for all your help! 

It's okay from the device's point of view, as they're considered different connections. However, it may be confusing from a logical standpoint. It depends on how much you need to actually do anything with the IP addresses. As you're using DHCP, it's not like the addresses are arranged in any way very specific. 

If it is an issue, you may be able to assign DHCP pools for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signal separately, so they can't overlap. 

Hey everyone,

So I'm new-ish into the IT world. I have a minor in CS and have just finished my first week of my first "real person" job, a Help Desk Analyst position. I'm configuring my wireless network as two different SSID's, one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz. The issue I'm having is that DHCP is assigning two different devices the same IP. These devices are split between the 2.4GHz network and the 5GHz network. My question is that if it's okay to have the same IP address considering they are on the two different SSID's. 

Thanks for all your help! 

Your router probably handles them as two entirely different networks, which is kind of impressive, so it's working fine I assume?

Your router probably handles them as two entirely different networks, which is kind of impressive, so it's working fine I assume?

It is working fine, I was just making sure it was alright that two devices had the same IP address. It's a Optimum branded D-Link DIR0868L AC 1750. 

Thank you for the advice! I'm not sure if my router has the capability to assign pools. It's a D-Link 868L AC 1750. I'm having issues with reserving IP addresses for devices which I have a ticket open with Optimum about.