The SoC in the new Nexus 7 is essentially an underclocked Snapdragon 600

nexus-7-s4-pro-APQ8064%E2%80%931AA.jpg

Officially, the Nexus 7 (2013) features a Snapdragon S4 Pro system on a chip. A closer analysis reveals however, that the chip is very similar to a Snapdragon 600 proc, save for slightly lower clock speeds.

uuftD9N.png

The confusion started when Brian Klug from Anandtech opened up the back of a Nexus 7 and discovered that it actually contains an APQ8064–1AA chip which features four Krait 300 cores rather than the Krait 200 cores usually found on Snapdragon S4 Pros like the Nexus 4. It even has 2GB of DDR3L-1600MHz SDRAM rather than the usual LPDDR2 RAM.

So for all intents and purposes, brian has concluded that it is actually more of a lower binned/clocked Snapdragon 600 (Officially Snapdragon 600 chips are clocked to 1.7GHz which may be the reason why Qualcomm decided to refer to this as an S4 Pro).

However most of us here know that clock speed is not the only thing that matters and that is proven by the benchmarks below (you can find more by clicking the source link at Anandtech):

56519.png

56529.png

56509.png

It also enjoys a major improvement in eMMC flash storage modules which allow it to completely outperform the previous Nexus 7 even in storage benchmarks.

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-7-2013-s-4-pro-snapdragon-600-249594/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7176/nexus-7-2013-mini-review/4

very very interesting

when i heard it didnt have a 600 soc i was like ... WHY !!!

the 300 krait core has some great improvements over the 200 krait core

also the fast eMMC is a great addition

ill keep my eye on the nexus 7

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Could this be rooted and overclocked to take advantage of the S600?

I'm sure it will; pretty much every Android device out there can be overclocked with a custom kernel.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I'm sure it will; pretty much every Android device out there can be overclocked with a custom kernel.

You just need to watch the heat from it is all.

You just need to watch the heat from it is all.

Yeah you most definitely can, although this is probably lower binned and therefore you might not be able to overclock very far. Still, being able to get GS4 or at least HTC One performance out of this devices is really cool, even though I don't believe it is worth the sacrifice in battery life.

I wish that AMD could go in the nexus 

dude

i think thats a 3.9 watt AMD chip (A4-1200)

the 600 soc is between 2.5W-3W

rather have a baytrail quadcore chip from Intel which is 2watts and out performs any desktop Atom they made

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

So I'm a little confused on which processor is "better"

is it better to have the S4 Pro, or the S600?

I heard that the internals were supposed to be identical to the Nexus 4, but they didn't seem to include that on the benchmarks

So I'm a little confused on which processor is "better"

is it better to have the S4 Pro, or the S600?

I heard that the internals were supposed to be identical to the Nexus 4, but they didn't seem to include that on the benchmarks

S800>S600>S4Pro>S400>S4 Plus officially speaking.

This one is really weird though, Snapdragon says it's an S4 Pro but really it's an S600 with S4 clock and it falls somewhere in between the usual s4 Pro found in the N4/Xperia Z/etc. and official S600 such as the one found the SGS4/One in terms of performance.

It makes sense that they used a lower binned version of one of their most popular (currently) CPU, what I don't understand is why they didn't just say that outright, underclocked and overclocked CPUs are used all the time in mobile SOCs so I doubt they did that because of confusion.

lol, i just bought the nexus 7, and from this article, i just got really happy all of a sudden.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place