Sell my GTX 970 SLI and get a 980Ti?

danialzaidi

If you love actually MAXING game settings then a 980 ti is JUST enough for 1080p right now. It has great performance in games like Witcher 3 and GTA V.  I have had dual 280x, 290x, 760s, 770s, 780, titans, 970s, 980s and I can say from experience the 980 ti is the best GPU.  I have always been unsatisfied with performance of all the cards I mentioned in SLI because they simply couldn't max games (980 could but has SLI issues with Witcher and GTA V that I could never really figure out). I say go for the 980 ti, even if you lose a little money.  Many people will say its overkill but I demand 60-80 fps minimum with all settings MAXED.  Reviewers do not max game settings, or at least most don't. Two 980 ti's will be good enough to max everything at 1440p. 4K is too demanding for most newer titles with any combination of GPUs unless you sacrifice some game settings.

What thoroughly worked out argumentation, good sir! :huh:

Pahahah crossfire better than sli.... You must be joking.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

If you love actually MAXING game settings then a 980 ti is JUST enough for 1080p right now. It has great performance in games like Witcher 3 and GTA V. I have had dual 280x, 290x, 760s, 770s, 780, titans, 970s, 980s and I can say from experience the 980 ti is the best GPU. I have always been unsatisfied with performance of all the cards I mentioned in SLI because they simply couldn't max games (980 could but has SLI issues with Witcher and GTA V that I could never really figure out). I say go for the 980 ti, even if you lose a little money. Many people will say its overkill but I demand 60-80 fps minimum with all settings MAXED. Reviewers do not max game settings, or at least most don't. Two 980 ti's will be good enough to max everything at 1440p. 4K is too demanding for most newer titles with any combination of GPUs unless you sacrifice some game settings.

This is what I'm talking about.

I've been contemplating 970s in SLI over a 980 ti. I like the way two cards look and I only play at 1080p but I like to max everything out with a 144hz monitor. With my 4670k and 780 ti I could get a consistent 110fps with everything on ultra (BF4). I usually go for the single flagship card vs dual lower end cards.

I also plan on water cooling my setup, and a single 980 ti hydro copper is cheaper than two 970s with after market water blocks.

I did it for a few reasons. But I game at 4k. Sli caused many graphical issues and the heat output was too much. So far I am happy with my change.

Intel Core I7-4790K 4.5GHz 1.225V, NZXT Kraken x60 AIO Cooler, EVGA Z97 FTW Board, Kingston Fury 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram, EVGA GTX 980 TI SC+ ACX GPU, Corsair Air 540 Case w/ 3x120MM & 3x140MM Cougar Red LED Fans, EVGA G1 650W 80+ Gold PSU, Crucial MX100 512GB SSD, Samsung UD590 4k 60Hz Monitor

I don't think you understood what I said. The FPS was fine. But I was having STUTTER issues. 

I didn't want stuttering, so I returned them. Simple as that.

he only has light stuttering in CoD AW, but Battlefield works fine

• 4 weeks later...

he only has light stuttering in CoD AW, but Battlefield works fine

FC4, GTA V.

My Fury X I have no tears through everything though.

Been around since the beginning of LTT & the forums, but mostly just lurk!