Dell XPS 12. Not charding

samosnik

Hello! I recently got a Dell xps 12 from a friend of mine. Everything works great. Exept from the batteri. It is plugged in and it's not broken. It just dosen't want to chardge. It says: AC adaptor plugged in but not charding. I've red that a bios update might fix it but you need atleast 10% battery to do a bios update :/ Also i am not using the chardger that came whit the laptop. It is rated at 19.5V, 2.31 A, 45W. Is it the chardger or the computer that is the problem?

i7-4770k,EVGA GTX 780, 16Gb Ram, Corsair H100i, Corsair 750D, Asus z87 Pro, 120Gb Samsung SSD, 3TB Western digital x2 and corsair rm1000

Hello! I recently got a Dell xps 12 from a friend of mine. Everything works great. Exept from the batteri. It is plugged in and it's not broken. It just dosen't want to chardge. It says: AC adaptor plugged in but not charding. I've red that a bios update might fix it but you need atleast 10% battery to do a bios update :/ Also i am not using the chardger that came whit the laptop. It is rated at 19.5V, 2.31 A, 45W. Is it the chardger or the computer that is the problem?

are you talking about this charding??

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chard

sounds like a broken charder. Its possible but unlikely that the power jack on the laptop is broken

1. Disconnect AC power
2. Shut down laptop
3. Remove battery
4. Connect AC power
5. Start laptop
6. Open "Device Manager" (right-click on "Computer" -> Properties -> click "Device Manager" in left pane)
7. Under "Batteries", right-click and uninstall "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" (all occurances)
8. Shutdown
9. Disconnect AC power, insert battery
10. Connect AC power, start laptop

You can test the charger with a multi-meter to see if it's giving the correct voltage and working in the first place. Note you must have the same voltage as the original and enough amps to supply to the laptop either the same or more than the old one.

Does your computer have diagnostics? Believe every Dell laptop has one.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Does your computer have diagnostics? Believe every Dell laptop has one.

no :P

i7-4770k,EVGA GTX 780, 16Gb Ram, Corsair H100i, Corsair 750D, Asus z87 Pro, 120Gb Samsung SSD, 3TB Western digital x2 and corsair rm1000

Probably a dead battery, potentially from using the wrong charger.