I am working on Active Directory, and wanted to talk about it!

connbob

Hi guys, I have just joined this forum, and I thought I would document my workings as I work through making a decent domain controller of which I can use around my house on some of the computers, mainly laptops.

So, firstly, I will update the thread as much as possible if you want more, and also, I have no prior experience in setting this up, or any qualifications that may help me, which I suppose is why I will post on here, so if people wanted to help me, or as I learn, get helped, I can help I suppose.

Anyway, I have a small old PC with specs: 

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz

6GB Ram

Basically, a old prebuilt PC we used to use that has now become my server.

To test, I use my 2 Cisco (2600s?) network switches, and I will post pictures when I can of all of this.

So far, I started with setting up a SharePoint server, which I will not document much on, and I have also setup a group policy, which I will not show how I setup, until I come to setting up more policies. 

So, here is a picture of what the policy adds.

b29b4aa825.jpg

Right, currently, that is all that I have done, hope you enjoyed this small thread, and I shall hopefully update it soon!

Conn

Nice work. I might set up a domain controller too, once I have enough PCs that can connect to it.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Yeah, I just want to do this as an experiment, as I find it fascinating, it will take some time and effort, but I think it is worth it!

I'm not sure how passionate you are about this area of IT but if its as much as it sounds I'd recommend picking up these two books from the Microsoft Press Store: Windows Server 2012 R2 Inside Out Volume 1: Configuration, Storage, & Essentials and Windows Server 2012 R2 Inside Out Volume 2: Services, Security, & Infrastructure.

That is, if you are going to be running Windows Server 2012 R2. But yeah, if you are really interested in it then I really recommend picking up some IT books, they are definitely worth it IMO. Many people will recommend just gathering material online, which can be useful, but with a book from a credible author you know the material is 100% legit and don't have to worry about its authenticity. It can be difficult to figure out if information online is true or false when you're still a novice yourself. Aaannd there's just something about reading a physical book that I like lol.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I will in the end, currently, technet suits me good, but I will need the reading material, thanks for the recommendations :)