Best anti-aliasing method for 1080p.

centurion_08
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

SSAA is the best quality (a.k.a. DSR/VSR)

SMAA is the best balance

MSAA is somewhat less efficient than SMAA, but more widely supported

FXAA is the best performance

Short and simple question for all of them graphic whores. (me included)

What is the most efficient and taxing method from you experience. 

FXAA is the lightest on the system, It runs well with pretty much any hardware, I use it on my laptop(i3 4010u intel HD 4800.)
The Best one is more up to preference, I like SMAA.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

SMAA is the best balance

SMAA is arguably the most supported since you can just inject it into any game with SweetFX\ReShade. It's just post process AA. MSAA is hardware AA and is indeed really inefficient in deferred rendering engines :(

The most effective AA is most definitely SGSSAA (sparse grid super sampling), but as far as I know that's only supported by Nvidia in some DX9 games. Not sure if that's ever worked in DX11.

Next up is ordered grid super sampling, which can be achieved by downsampling (using DSR or custom resolutions). If you have the hardware, this is the way to go seeing as most post processing AA sucks and a lot of games don't support anything else. Downsampling from 4K is going to kill most aliasing in a lot of games.... though as we get more detailed games, you wind up still having aliasing at 4K. 4K + SMAA works wonders though.

I hate FXAA with a fiery passion though. I'll typically disable that in-game and just inject SMAA if it's not an option.

If you REALLY want to dig into aliasing and anti-aliasing techniques.... Durante of DSFix fame did a lengthy article on the topic.

SMAA is the best balance

What about txaa

CPU: Core I7 4790k @4.7Ghz MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 GPU:GTX 980 Ti SLI RAM: Corsair vengeance pro 16GB 2400Mhz Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 512 GB boot drive, WD black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000I Display: Samsung UD590D 4K monitor Cooling: Corsair H100I GTX Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 Operating System: Windows 8.1

Haven't used TXAA much, but from what I've seen, it looks great in motion (it was designed to eliminate the pixel crawling you see when panning the camera around). It's the next best thing to downsampling in my opinion, so long as you don't mind the amount of blurring you get as a result. I remember playing Crysis 3 for the first time at 1920x1080 with 4xTXAA and thinking that it looked amazing. There was just no aliasing at all and no pixel crawl in motion. 

It comes at a hefty performance cost though, seeing as it combines MSAA with a temporal solution.

The temporal AA in UE4 is really something as well. I haven't messed wit hit too much, but it looks great in the Unreal Tournament alpha and the performance didn't seem to be as bad as TXAA. I think they're also using it in that open world kite demo thinger.

Quite fond of mfaa myself.

i7 4770k/Maximus VII Hero/Titan X/ 500gb 850evox2 r0/1000 EVGA G2