Need IPS monitor help

Light_Wing

Recently i've been looking for a 1080p IPS monitor.

I wanted to get the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM.

Until i heard that the AG coating was bad. I've been looking for some image evidence on how bad it actually is, but I've only come across images of the AG sheet removed from the monitor.

Now, i know that with frosted windows, if you push your finger up against the frosted window, its allot more visible than if you finger was a few inches from the frosted window.

which makes me think that holding up the AG coating in the air is a bad way to prove how bad it is.

So, mainly the question/request is: Is there any real image evidence to how bad/good the AG coating is on the Dell U2312HM?

Now i understand its different per person, and i cant find any stores in my area that have them.

I am also willing to take suggestions on purchasing a different monitor, here is my budget and what i will use it for:

Budget: <$300 (including tax (Canadian) and im ok paying an extra 20 dollers if its worth it)

Uses: Gaming, Semi-professional web design, assorted anime, online video streaming (youtube, twitch), and web browsing.

I do not want any recommendations of the Korean IPS budget 1440P monitors'.

I don't what you were reading, but I can assure you it's total crap.

1- People that complain about the AG coating probably have the monitor right in their face as they use the smallest table in the world where the keyboard barely fits (they are many people with such setup.)

2- Adding AG coating on the monitor is expensive, as you need the back light spreading technology to be adapted, stronger light, and the film itself is costly as it need to block reflection, but allow light to pass through perpendicular to the panel toward you. Sadly, you had some ultra budget monitors where in order to be completly inexpensive, they simply used a textured film added on the panel. Not a special AG coating.. just a texture transparent film. And as it was cheap, people bought them, and that slow word to mouth on how sucky non-glossy screen are is spreading on the internet. This created people who never experience a proper monitor that isn't glossy, think like you, and don't even look at one to know how wrong they are, and spreading this false information.

3- Another complain I was told, is that AG coating, strong ones, give a crystal effect. Well that's true... but you know what you have to do to get this? Put a white screen, close the light of your room, and set the monitor (powered by CFLs, which are significantly more bright than LED backlight... like 0% (on the monitor setting) on a CFL is 50-75% on a LED.. I kid you not) to maximum brightness, where your eyes hurt, like looking directly at a light bulb. And you look closely and move around your head a bit. So again, improper setup, and people who don't know how to adjust the monitor settings or even know about the monitor menu.

ALL professional monitors are non-glossy. All of them (professionals and high end consumer grade monitors). And the AG coating on them, while varies from monitor to monitor, it's essentially close to the same.

As for the idiot that used chemicals to remove the AG coating on his Dell U2711 (yes I found that post), he is a moron, the back light isn't designed for this. And you can see from the pictures that his monitor is way to bright.

Ignore them. Believe me, anti-glare monitors are fantastic, hence why professionals demands them. In fact, the simple fact that it's glossy, it's not even being considered, but rather ignored completely. Its also a complain on Apple products too.

Anyway,

For your budget, the Dell U2312HM is an excellent monitor. Dell also has a fantastic warranty service, where if you need to RMA it, Dell pays shipping for you on both directions. In fact, you get to keep the monitor while Dell ships you the replacement one, where you have a pre-paid shipping label in the box. Very convenient. All companies should do this. If a product fails under warranty, then its the manufacture fault, and they should pay the consequences, not you in paying shipping to send it to them.

As for the idiot that used chemicals to remove the AG coating on his Dell U2711 (yes I found that post)' date=' he is a moron, the back light isn't designed for this. And you can see from the pictures that his monitor is way to bright. Ignore them.[/quote']

You seem to know what you are talking about, But just to be clear, Are you referencing this person?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1674033

/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1216559/h...tor-and-others

Because this is the picture where they where trying to prove how bad it AG coating is.

That, and you said chemicals, this guy claimed to use water. I would like to see the images from the guy that used chemicals to remove the AG coating.

EDIT: also, the whole frosted window thing, i was trying to make a point that the way they tried to show how bad the AG coating is a horrible way.

I assume you are talking about this picture:

uW5z8.jpg

The film got chemically destroyed, plus normally the film is specially bonded on the LCD panel. Again, if it was that bad, no professional artist, photo editor, movie editor/montage, architecture, and engineers, not to mention typist, administration related fields and so on, would demand non-glossy screens. It's for a reason that you only find glossy monitor on cheap laptops and monitors (usually med to low range consumer grade product, with I guess the exception of TV's, where you see (at least based on my observations) more non-glossy ones then glossy one), but then again, TV prices aren't really cheap, so I don't know if you want to consider that on the budget or not market comparatively to computer monitors. Anyway let's not break our heads. The point being is that what you are seeing and what is being said is all crap and should be simply ignored.

I don't know if you ever watched notice Linus monitors, but he uses non-glossy monitors. On my desk, I have the Dell U2410 (which is the same coating as the U2711, and U3011, as well as some HP IPS monitors), Most people (well everyone, except on the few thread you read), have no problems with them. And these monitor have a really strong coating which is awesome if you have really big window, or you have the sun hitting your screen during the part of the day you use the computer, as you perfectly see your screen. I sure didn't notice. Those that do, as they were used to a glossy screen, report that they got used to it after a few days or at worst a week.

The U2412M (and all the monitors that follows the same look within Dell monitors models) have a less aggressive coating, making it ideal for making a good choice for people with non-proper desk setup, or monitor setup, and those used to glossy screens.

Oh, and majority of all CRT monitors and TV's were non glossy, and has similar "effect" than on the LCD screen. So if you ever used them... ask your self if you noticed it, and was bothersome.

You seem to know what you are talking about. And back it up with logic.

I think i am going get the U2312HM, but before i do, you said the U2412M has a lesser aggressive AG coating, and it has a 16:10 aspect ratio.

Is it worth it to get the 412 instead of the 312? I know it comes down to preference, but would like your input,

As you said it does come to personal preference.

If you are doing work on your computer, esepcially with programs with lots of tools bars on top and such, 16:10 is a must. The extra height will allow you to compensate, for the task bars and menus and tools bars, so you have a nice working area. 16:9, you'll feel a bit cramped, as you actual work area in your programs will be smaller, and you'll be trying to fight in getting extra space by continuously hiding and showing menus bars and top bar, or/and move the task bar on the side of the screen.

If you are mostly playing games and watching video's (basically using mostly the computer as an entertainment device) you will be fine with 16:9 aspect ratio monitor. Getting 16:10, in that case, will not provide any real benefits to you.

For me 16:10 is a must. I do software development, I am also a student in Computer Science, and I have my personal commercially available software with of course, it's own web site which I develop and maintain. I use Visual Studio, Microsoft WebMatrix, Dreamweaver, Office (Word, Excel, Project, Visio, Access, OneNote and Outlook), Flash, MySQL WorkBench, mainly. So as you can see all these program are quiet space demanding.

Your in Canada, and I am in Canada too. Something cool with Dell Canada is that you can negotiate a price.. like seriously drop the price.

If you are interested in getting the Dell monitor, be sure to pick up the phone and call Dell Small Business (that's the secret), and place a business purchase. Not only get you'll buisness section warranty service (better than Home), but also the sales representative are experienced and know the system well. You can negotiate a price with them It's easy too.

I know that you can get the Dell U2410 at 450$.. ('cause I got it at that price) possibly 400$ now.

You should be able to drop the price by at least 50$ minimum on the other monitors. Just call, says its for your business, you are freelancer or something, ask info on the monitor, ask question your already know the answer just to make a conversation (like the warranty coverage, and length, how many ports does it have, and so on) ask the price, hesitate a bit, and ask if they make a price. Usually they'll just give you a good price right away. Oh, if they offer you free shipping.. it's already free shipping it.

I just got myself a Asus PA238Q today, ill tell you what i think after i have some time with it!

Alright, I thought I'd update you all, I just recently got a job request, and if it goes through, I should be able to get a 1440/1600p monitor from dell ($550-$700ish).

before I go looking, I want to know if anyone knows if any of the 1400/1600p dell monitors are good for, well my only issue that I could have with these monitors which I doubt I will have, is gaming. I doubt I wont notice any lag, but I would like a 1440/1600p dell monitor geed for gaming. IPS of course.

If you are not a hard core FPS player, then you won't see any lag of any kind even if you try. Then again if you were such hard core FPS gamer, then you won't be even looking at IPS panels in the first place.

The only possible issue, is that your graphic card isn't powerful enough to drive your game at high settings with the monitor native resolution. This varies between game to game, and how much memory you have on your graphic card.

I have a GTX680 EVGA SC with 2GB of ram.

Correct me if im wrong, but with such a high resolution as 1440p at 27", you can lower AA (or stuff thhat does stuff dimiliar to AA) and be better off.

I guess. Well you can still play your games fine at 1440p. Just the most demanding games won't be playable at max settings or near max setting.