295x2 or 980ti

gladiatorgloria

Lately nvidia shit the bed on drivers so badly that AMD has beaten them in that regard.

They really did, though I must say the 353.38 hotfix has fixed all of the problems the last two updates have caused me so far.

On topic, I would get a 980 Ti. The 295x2 makes about as much sense as 970 SLI now it's matched by a single GPU.

As long as it is in its thermal limits running cooler doesn't mean that much. The 295x2 will still heat the room more despite the card being cooler as the water pump more efficiently transfers heat. The 390's do have a better power efficiency than the 295x2 which translates to less heat expelled from the case. The 295x2 aren't overclocked enough to beat the 390's in crossfire either and has less usable memory to boot.

HE was saying to get 2 290x's, and yes it will heat the room more, (why I don't want one) but its not like its noisy or will melt inside your computer.

HE was saying to get 2 290x's, and yes it will heat the room more, (why I don't want one) but its not like its noisy or will melt inside your computer.

My bad I saw the 390 recommendation a line down and thought you meant a 295x2 would beat both of them.

Ya but you said 99% of the time which covers nearly all possibilities. My point still stands though if they were the same price would you still pick the 970? Also not an AMD fanboy. I'm just a fan of performance at a good price. What people don't realize is that AMD is currently decimating Nvidia at price per performance which the exception of the Fury X. Personally I still pick Nvidia because my computer is generally in a room with limited space and every bit of power savings helps prevent more heat in my space.

Also the price to performance ratio is better on the AMD Xfired 390's by a noticeable margin. Yes SLI and Crossfire has some issues and they get exaggerated with more cards and that tends to lead to a stigma against them altogether.

Exactly we aren't fanboys we just value the performance per dollar that everything boils down to at the end of the day.

the best solution is the one that give you the best FPS at the lowest price. THAT IS ALWAYS THE BEST SOLUTION.

Any other feature, or imaginary "quality" aspect of software made by humans is secondary.

Every benchmark you can get will show that the 295x2 HAMMERS every Nvidia card released. Not even the Titan Z (dual Titan card) has a chance against it. What does that tell you? It is THE SINGLE BEST SINGLE PCB SOLUTION SO FAR. There is no single card solution that is better, FPS wise.

Feature wise it can be beaten. Yes it does not have gameworks stuff, no it doesnt have CUDA (which to 99% of the people here have little practical need for in their daily life other then being a neat feature once every blue moon).

Does it support variable sync rates through Freesync, yes

Has Freesync reached a level of quality, both in monitors and functions that make it worth taking over Gsync, yes they are pretty equal. Gsync has better range, but costs way more.

Does it support VSR (AMDs DSR)? YES, albeit VSR need some work (it doesnt work outside of 16:9 and 16:10 ratios for hte time being)

Does it support Eyefinity? YES, is Eyefinity better then Nvidia Surround? Yes way better (both at noob and pro levels)

Does it support Zero-core? YES, so in the event that it can not use one of the cores it shuts it down, thus its power draw becomes WAY less (still high, but way less)

What does Zerocore do? It completely shuts down the GPU to the bare minimum. "Long time draw" as Nvidia and AMD define their standby power draw by is down to 3W with zerocore (when screen saver activates it draws 3W in standby... Nvidia draws 20-35w on their most efficient GPU at standby)

So all in all. Does the 295x2 have features worth mentioning? yes

Does these features ALSO make it a more appealing purchase? well yes

Does the 980 Ti offer anything other then lower power consumption AT FULL THROTTLE (remember, when you are not loading the GPU enough it shuts off half the card to save power) not much.

Gameworks, even if it DOES cripple AMD, to some extent, and believe me, as an AMD user i can tell you straight away that it isnt anywhere near how bad people want it to be.And that is the most important aspect. Several users on these forums simply do not WANT AMD to have anything to offer. They claim they want them to beat Nvidia or pressure Nvidia so Nvidia gives them better stuff. But the second AMD does that the same people instantly start bashing their products for reasons that are usually trivial or unoticable to the end user in a day to day scenario.

Take AMD vs Intel power draw... There is a difference. Where i live that surmounts to around 100-150 NOK (14-20 USD) with 3 hours use EVERY day for a whole year.... EVERY DAY. That is the cost difference between 88W and 125W in realistical power draw. Now a graphics card is pulling a lot more then that. But Nvidias 980Ti is 250W i believe, the Fury is rated at 250w and 390/390X is rated at 275-290W... and the 295x2 is 550W. However, the 295x2 is also WAY faster then a single 290X (and each GPU is clocked higher).

So if half the 295 is running, then its essentially 275w power draw vs 250w (i know, 980Ti uses more in real life and so does the 295 and 290x and 390 etc).

25w, that is 20ish USD a year for the AMD card....

For the 295x2, this is a pointless argument because the power draw at full load is so insane, but if you use your PC like me, spending a lot of time looking at videos and puttin it in standby while gone. Then AMDs 295x2, while its "on" state draws a lot compared to a 980Ti, its off state slowly recuperates this draw.

I do not have time to do these calculations, nor the patience. But if you do like me, put your PC in standby/turn off the screen and let the PC just go into hibernation/waiting/standby whatever. Then AMDs Zerocore technology really smacks Nvidia in the face. Nvidia, to this date, simply has NOTHING to offer in return. Which is odd.

Clearly an AMD fanboy not even going to read all this shit but yeah.

There are still a lot of pro's to choose a Nvidia card over this AMD card. Have you used one of these cards yourself? I tested a 295x2 for a week so yeah I can tell.

Not starting a fight here find somewhere else.

Clearly an AMD fanboy not even going to read all this shit but yeah.

There are still a lot of pro's to choose a Nvidia card over this AMD card. Have you used one of these cards yourself? I tested a 295x2 for a week so yeah I can tell.

Not starting a fight here find somewhere else.

you use a card for a week and claim to know??

If you picked up a 980Ti for a week during these last two months with horrendrous Nvidia drivers, what would your impression be?

Truth be told, you would think that card has major flaws and Nvidia needs to sort them out.

If the 295x2 let you down in that week you owned it, then either you got onto one of AMDs worse drivers, or you had regrets regarding your purchase in the first place.

One week is not enough time to test a card as a daily driver. You can run benchmarks and get the feel of something in a few days, but you wont know what is on your hands before you stick with it for a long while. So i wouldnt count your experience as anything groundbreaking. You had a taste of it and nothing more.

And incase you wonder, ive been using the 295x2 for 6 months soon.

you use a card for a week and claim to know??

If you picked up a 980Ti for a week during these last two months with horrendrous Nvidia drivers, what would your impression be?

Truth be told, you would think that card has major flaws and Nvidia needs to sort them out.

If the 295x2 let you down in that week you owned it, then either you got onto one of AMDs worse drivers, or you had regrets regarding your purchase in the first place.

One week is not enough time to test a card as a daily driver. You can run benchmarks and get the feel of something in a few days, but you wont know what is on your hands before you stick with it for a long while. So i wouldnt count your experience as anything groundbreaking. You had a taste of it and nothing more.

Yes I used a 295x2 for a bit more than a week.

I currently use 970's in SLI with the latest drivers and I have 0 driver issues I don't see your problem.

Oh yes Iknow what the power of that card is and if it's good or not :P

Both AMD and Nvidia have there flaws but you start bashing Nvidia righ away which is unfair.

Also if you look at powerusage the 295x2 uses a fair amount of power when idle you should also add that up and yeah electricity in Europe isn't that cheap as in the US.

I'm not even going to take you serious because most of this is pure shit you are saying.

Take AMD vs Intel power draw... There is a difference. Where i live that surmounts to around 100-150 NOK (14-20 USD) with 3 hours use EVERY day for a whole year.... EVERY DAY. That is the cost difference between 88W and 125W in realistical power draw. Now a graphics card is pulling a lot more then that. But Nvidias 980Ti is 250W i believe, the Fury is rated at 250w and 390/390X is rated at 275-290W... and the 295x2 is 550W. However, the 295x2 is also WAY faster then a single 290X (and each GPU is clocked higher).

Dear lord power is expensive there.... We calculated on average of a 120 extra watts with 4 hours a day use here in the US is 21 USD a year.....

Dear lord power is expensive there.... We calculated on average of a 120 extra watts with 4 hours a day use here in the US is 21 USD a year.....

compared to average income, it is not. It really is but a drop in the ocean.

The average Norwegian makes somewhere7 around 235 NOK/hour....

compared to average income, it is not. It really is but a drop in the ocean.

The average Norwegian makes somewhere7 around 235 NOK/hour....

The average or the median? The average income is about $25/hr (200 nok/hr) here in America but the median is definitely lower.

The average or the median? The average income is about $25/hr (200 nok/hr) here in America but the median is definitely lower.

pretty much both really, the difference between the two is not really that huge...

Yes, income here is pretty darn high. I work as a electrician and make close to 55k USD per year. and i get slightly below the national average salary.... that should give you an indicator.

That being said, prices here are bonkers, in the pricy way. Except electronics, which has 0% import tax, cuz we dun make anything ourselves, so would only hurt us if we added more then the normal 25% tax to it.

pretty much both really, the difference between the two is not really that huge...

Yes, income here is pretty darn high. I work as a electrician and make close to 55k USD per year. and i get slightly below the national average salary.... that should give you an indicator.

That being said, prices here are bonkers, in the pricy way. Except electronics, which has 0% import tax, cuz we dun make anything ourselves, so would only hurt us if we added more then the normal 25% tax to it.

The difference here in the US is like 15k a year USD between the median and the average. 50k ish is the average but more than 60% of Americans make 40k or less.

The difference here in the US is like 15k a year USD between the median and the average. 50k ish is the average but more than 60% of Americans make 40k or less.

there is also a HUGE difference in minimum wages thought.

Minimum by law is 7.5 USD pr hour. Which is around 60NOK.

Now in norway we got laws governing employees over and under 18 years of age without any formal education in the field of work.

So going by that, lowest you are legally allowed to pay an employee above the age of 18 with no formal education in the field of work within the construction buisniss is 21.2 USD/hour. Now some fields of work is way worse paid. Like 16-17 year olds working with harvesting on farms. They get like 11.26 USD pr hour... And that is about as low as wages go here....

So yeah... this kind of puts things in context.

As soon as you got an education, or even without (people who just worked for a long time within a certain field of work has rights by law to be paid as much as someone with a degree) you get paid pretty well.

Then, we gotta reduce income by 36-45% due to taxes, but those taxes cover "free" healthcare, pension/retirement, and other social services.... but yeh. economics wise. running a 295x2 vs a 980Ti is like pissing in the ocean to increase the temperatures before taking a dive.

Hehe after I pay for my crappy insurance and taxes I get to take home right around half of my wages....

Not at the moment, nvidia slowed down and AMD stepped up there game and passed them.

What, just because of the chrome bug?

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

No AMD just improved there drivers within the past 2 months to where they are just as good, the chrome bug was a wake up call though it shows that anyone can make imperfect drivers.

There's just not much for Nvidia to improve upon. Pretty sure the chrome bug is the only issue I've ever had with their drivers, once they fix that it's good. I'm glad AMD caught up though, let's just hope they keep this up.

That being said, I still prefer the Nvidia control panel and GForce Experience over CCC and Gaming evolved.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."