R9 390 vs GTX 970

ved

I want to settle this once and for all. The 390 seems better than the 970 in most ways and for the same price. The damn thing has twice as much VRAM. The temps and power intake are more than the 970 but it isn't enough to really matter. In which situations would the 970 still be a viable option?

IT all depends do you want full dx12 support?Shadowplay?gameworks?

It shouldnt be the same price its still a 290x just improved it should be a lower price for older tech 

Rebrand

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

Gameworks titles, the 970 will win. Other than that, the 390 is a bit better.

Shadowplay destroys AMD's GameDVR, I've used both, Shadowplay is way less of a pain to import and AMD uses a worse variable FPS capture.

Nvidia doesnt have better drivers, but a better frequency of releases and usually way faster multi-gpu drivers.

390 has the core grunt to win in AMD titles

970 has the core grunt to win in Nvidia titles

In a neutral game their close to even stevens... (give or take a percent or two)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

At first I was going with the whole rebrand banwagon then I realized it is similar but isn't a rebrand.

At first I was going with the whole rebrand banwagon then I realized it is similar but isn't a rebrand.

Its more of a refresh.And while im happy that theyv imporoved the 200 series.They are not honest about it being a refresh so personally would buy the 970

Just let the benchmark numbers speak for themselves. The whole rebrand thing is just a pointless argument people make to degrade the card, all that matters is, which card is faster?

I thought the same thing, but the fact that they changed the memory to be doubled and a significantly higher speed, and the small boost in core clocks and power delivery has made it so the 390 directly competes with the 970 like the 290X used to, but now the 390X beats the 970 significantly and is more a competitor to the 980.

Its more of a refresh.And while im happy that theyv imporoved the 200 series.They are not honest about it being a refresh so personally would buy the 970

If it was a true refresh, AMD could have done the smart thing and named it as such, not as an entirely new f***ing card. All that's changed is the better vRAM chips and access to the better drivers.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I thought the same thing, but the fact that they changed the memory to be doubled and a significantly higher speed, and the small boost in core clocks and power delivery has made it so the 390 directly competes with the 970 like the 290X used to, but now the 390X beats the 970 significantly and is more a competitor to the 980.

There's a $100+ price difference between the 390 and 390X :D 

The problem here is you could pick up a 290x that competed with a 970 already.But this refresh is $100 more expensive then a 290x

The problem here is you could pick up a 290x that competed with a 970 already.But this refresh is $100 more expensive then a 290x

The 390(non-x) seems to be on par with the 290x and is beating the 970 (most of the time). The 390 and 290x costs around the same price currently.

The 390(non-x) seems to be on par with the 290x and is beating the 970 (most of the time). The 390 and 290x costs around the same price currently.

I was going to say this but you beat me to it.

And lets not talk about what the prices where at launch for the 290/290X

post-222431-0-43272000-1435721738_thumb.

I mean, you have to talk about the current market price for better performance/dollar. And those prices were jacked up so high due to stock issues.

I want to settle this once and for all. The 390 seems better than the 970 in most ways and for the same price. The damn thing has twice as much VRAM. The temps and power intake are more than the 970 but it isn't enough to really matter. In which situations would the 970 still be a viable option?

Numbers don't lie, if the 390 beats the 970, it beats the 970. For all those people saying,  AMD has poor support for drivers and other secondary minor issues its still beating the 970 as of right now.

And no i'm not a red team fanboy. I have both a 7950 and a 970. Sick and tired of people giving stupid advise for that one time a driver screwed up and its the end of the world, both Nvidia and AMD has had their fair share of driver issues.

What does FPS capture have to do with this? I didn't even mention it.

It's part of the decision process... even if you don't mention it, its something you WILL be looking into at some stage.

Considering how bad AMD handles their variable FPS recording and the importing is a pain on some video editing softwares, its WORTH mentioning, esp if you chose an AMD card to maybe record in the future.

But Its a GPU feature on both cards to record with ZERO performance loss,.. so why wouldn't you be interested in it...

AMD last time I looked was at 720p/1080p @ 60fps @ 50Mbps

Nvidia can do 1080p/1440p/4K @ 60fps @ 130Mbps

It's worth noting the pro's and cons.. or you can't really make an informed decision without being informed.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I never said that. You just started stating facts that didn't correlate with my post and I was hella confused.

You obviously want facts...

OP - "In which situations would the 970 still be a viable option?"

Recording/Streaming features, which I stated, and now you have some facts to check out based on what I mentioned.

I realize that, but idk why I was quoted on it. Lol..

I quote everyone I am talking to. :)

attachicon.gif290290X.PNG

If they started out that expensive imagine how cheap the 390/390x will become.

If they started out that expensive imagine how cheap the 390/390x will become.

They didn't exactly start out that expensive. Launch price by AMD $550/$399 for 290X/290, it got jacked up so high because of the high demand and lack of stock.

They didn't exactly start out that expensive. Launch price by AMD $550/$399 for 290X/290, it got jacked up so high because of the high demand and lack of stock.

Still more expensive than the 390/390X

Still more expensive than the 390/390X

Well AMD does have plenty of backed up stock from the R9 290X 8GB.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL