Cpu Upgrade Question! FX 8350 To Core i7 4790.

Go to solution Solved by Faceman,

Is that going to be just as good as the 4790K?

In the vast majority of games, yes, but since you have Microcenter at your disposal, and you aren't in any immediate rush, I would go for the i7 because it will deliver better performance in some games, and with DX12 coming in a few years, the i7-4790k should remain relevant longer than an i5-4690k.  Both will be relevant for a very long time, but the i7 has the clear advantage looking towards the future.

So it finally might be happening...

Lets all say it together! See ya FX and let's hopefully say Hello to the i7!

My main concern is sense this is a locked cpu, is this going to be a issue when playing games (Due to clock speed) or is it possible to overclock to increase performance

(If Needed)?

Would this upgrade also be worth doing?

Let me know what you guys think!

PCPartPicker : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/X3YJQ7

Thank you.

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

If you are going to invest in an i7 why not just pay the extra £10 for the unlocked version.?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If you are going to invest in an i7 why not just pay the extra £10 for the unlocked version.?

Because the mobo is another £20

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/VLRose I like anime, I'm missing at least 50 off this list.

R9 390, i5 6400, 8GB Ram

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) And no hard drives  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

•  

My main concern is sense this is a locked cpu, is this going to be a issue when playing games (Due to clock speed) or is it possible to overclock to increase performance

(If Needed)?

Not at all. Don't worry about not being able to overclock, the i7 will still vastly outperform the FX in any usage scenario, even multi-threaded tasks such as content creation.

If you have a dedicated graphics card though, consider the Xeon E3-1231V3 instead. It's a lot cheaper for the same performance as the i7-4790.

"Rawr XD"

^This and the 4790K is $30 more.

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

Z97 mobo, aftermarket cooler, cost adds up and for people who don't OC isn't worth it. However again if you don't plan to OC, the HT Xeon is a much better choice for the money

"Rawr XD"

Not at all. Don't worry about not being able to overclock, the i7 will still vastly outperform the FX in any usage scenario, even multi-threaded tasks such as content creation.

If you have a dedicated graphics card though, consider the Xeon E3-1231V3 instead. It's a lot cheaper for the same performance as the i7-4790.

Just wanted to make sure about the overclocking and I plan to use my current gpu with the new bulild. (R9 290)

Z97 mobo, aftermarket cooler, cost adds up and for people who don't OC isn't worth it. However again if you don't plan to OC, the HT Xeon is a much better choice for the money

I just saw the price for the Xeon, $209 at my local Microcenter.

If its the same peformance as the i7 4790 I rather get the Xeon and save some money.

It will be fine, as the clocks are higher than a normal 4770k anyways

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

How is it? They're the same chip and you can get the same board.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

How is it? They're the same chip and you can get the same board.

Because with the K Processor you need a Z97/87 board with the non K you can get away with a H97 or even a H81. When I say need i mean it's pointless w/o a Z97 board.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/VLRose I like anime, I'm missing at least 50 off this list.

R9 390, i5 6400, 8GB Ram

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) And no hard drives  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

•  

I just saw the price for the Xeon, $209 at my local Microcenter.

If its the same peformance as the i7 4790 I rather get the Xeon and save some money.

Yep it's the same performance, just without integrated graphics. If you'll never use them, go for the Xeon.

"Rawr XD"

Because with the K Processor you need a Z97/87 board with the non K you can get away with a H97 or even a H81. When I say need i mean it's pointless w/o a Z97 board.

in the uk I picked up the z87-g55 for really cheap, it was £60 which is $94, that was from Amazon.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

If you have access to a Microcenter, you should absolutely just wait until you can afford a Z97 mobo + i7-4790k.  Its not a whole lot more money, and it will improve day one performance, as well as extend the useful life of your system by years.  Just wait until you can afford that Z97 + i7-4790k.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

If you have access to a Microcenter, you should absolutely just wait until you can afford a Z97 mobo + i7-4790k.  Its not a whole lot more money, and it will improve day one performance, as well as extend the useful life of your system by years.  Just wait until you can afford that Z97 + i7-4790k.

I guess I might just have to do that!

I live about 20 minutes away from MicroCenter so I can always go and check out what deals they have on Cpu + Mobo combo's.

I guess I might just have to do that!

I live about 20 minutes away from MicroCenter so I can always go and check out what deals they have on Cpu + Mobo combo's.

Is SLI/Xfire something you are interested in?

You should be looking at the i7-4790k + ASRock Z97 Anniversary, ASRock Extreme3, or Asus Z97-E.

If you don't want SLI/Xfire, then it should cost around $330.  If you do want SLI/Xfire, around $360. 

Before taxes.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Is SLI/Xfire something you are interested in?

You should be looking at the i7-4790k + ASRock Z97 Anniversary, ASRock Extreme3, or Asus Z97-E.

If you don't want SLI/Xfire, then it should cost around $330.  If you do want SLI/Xfire, around $360. 

Before taxes.

Yes and then no.

No as in I don't plan on buying another gpu anytime soon but  the feature would be nice to have just in case I do decide to add one more gpu in the future.

But $330 - $360 is a steal for a i7-4790K + Motherboard. I would probably get the Asus Z97-E motherboard out of those you listed.

I remember paying around $370 after tax at Frys for the 8350 + MSI motherboard last year October..

Yes and then no.

No as in I don't plan on buying another gpu anytime soon but  the feature would be nice to have just in case I do decide to add one more gpu in the future.

But $330 - $360 is a steal for a i7-4790K + Motherboard. I would probably get the Asus Z97-E motherboard out of those you listed.

I remember paying around $370 after tax at Frys for the 8350 + MSI motherboard last year October..

Ouch....

Good luck getting $150 back for your 8350 + 990FX.

Yea, go for the i7-4790k + Asus Z97-E, should be around $360 before taxes.

Ouch....

Good luck getting $150 back for your 8350 + 990FX.

Yea, go for the i7-4790k + Asus Z97-E, should be around $360 before taxes.

Ouch on $150...

Yea I will definitely go with that combo! I should be getting it around September so hopefully prices stay the way they currently are.

Ouch on $150...

Yea I will definitely go with that combo! I should be getting it around September so hopefully prices stay the way they currently are.

If you are waiting until September, you might even consider waiting until Skylake.

If you are waiting until September, you might even consider waiting until Skylake.

I have to take care of my college classes first so I really have no choice but to get it after that.

So if the 4790K is the same price or cheaper I will go for that or if Skylake is worth waiting for then I could go for that.

If you are planning for gaming upgrade cpu then choose i5-4690k 

Is that going to be just as good as the 4790K?