Best option for file server & BitTorrent Sync

My company is looking to expand the robustness of our customer facing file server, that will also be able to run bittorrent sync, and be kept up to date with btsync. 

We are currently using a thecus n5500, and the webdisk functionality is ok, if a bit slow. The bittorrent sync module however, is totally out of date (1.4) and gobbles up all available resources, bringing the poor blue box to it knees. Sync was never officially supported, and they have fired the guy who was making all of the great but unsupported mods.

Currently, our staff have bittorrent sync with a pro account. This uploads to the Thecus automagically. Once uploaded to the thecus, customers are able to login to a webdisk portal on the thecus, to view and retrieve files. 

Cost of hardware isn't a really big issue, speed and reliability is. I don't want to spend more than I need to, but I would like a bit of extra horsepower than a purpose built NAS provides.  I would like to avoid proprietary solutions like thecus, or even officially btsync supported devices like drobo, and go with a Xeon, ECC memory, redundant PSU, and UPS for hardware. It should be a pretty basic box to build and configure, as it really only needs to be a http accessible file server, and bitsync pro box. 

Hardware & software suggestions, help and criticisms are more than welcome, and much appreciated. 

Thanks

Have you maybe tried something in the Free Software or open-source domain for syncing (as I hate closed source software, I prefer Free Software the most (GNU licensed programs)) such as Syncthing. Give it a try.

My swag in GNU Fortran.

integer :: swag_level = 9999

I am a Free Software Developer. I run Trisquel GNU/Linux and I love Python, Fortran, GNU Modula, C and Lisp.

Have you maybe tried something in the Free Software or open-source domain for syncing (as I hate closed source software, I prefer Free Software the most (GNU licensed programs)) such as Syncthing. Give it a try.

I have tried sync thing, but the versions I've tried were extremely limited in folder options, and had no GUI. I could use it, but getting users to be able to use it would be a nightmare.

Try it now. It is really good.

My swag in GNU Fortran.

I am a Free Software Developer. I run Trisquel GNU/Linux and I love Python, Fortran, GNU Modula, C and Lisp.

I try to only use Free Software.

My swag in GNU Fortran.