Wondering If I should upgrade... Please Help.

CoolMarquis97

I'm on the verge of buying 7970 but people keep saying that the newer models are coming out. Would it be worth it to buy the 7970 now or wait for a price drop or even go as far as to buy the models? Are the new models going to introduce some amazing advancement or would I be good with a 7970 for the next couple of years?

Hi CoolMarquis97. What kind of video card are you running now? Also, what resolution are you playing at? Otherwise I would recommending waiting because I believe the next gen video cards are right around the corner. I'm not upgrading cause I've got two 7970's and I'll wait for the 800 series from nVidia or 9000 series from AMD XD.

You will want to wait - but don't expect anything to earth shattering - most of the new 8000 series are really rebranded 7000 series cards - to satisfy OEM requirements, with the intruduction of a few new models. But, I also think pricing sku's will change somewhat, so will be able to save a few bucks possibly as things get shifted around.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I normally wouldn't wait, but it's only a few months away I think so might wait in this case

Well you might have to wait a little while as their are now rumours going around that the new cards have been delayed to Q4 2013. Check this out.

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/next-generation-nvidia-and-amd-gpus-delayed-to-q4-2013/

I personally think those are ridiculous .

I'd say get it now, as when the new series launches it will be much more expensive considering you can get some great deals on 7970's right now especially with the game bundles.

Will it last you a couple years? Yes (most likely, no one knows what the future holds but chances are you will be find for the next couple years)

Assuming they follow the similar performance step as 6000 to 7000, a 7970 should be roughly equivalent maybe a 10-20% difference in performance (5-12 fps in an average game) to the assumed named 8950. You will however end up saving around $200 which could be put towards a second 7970 when that price drops a few months after the 8000 series is released.

Running 7970 in crossfire could potentially give much better performance than a single 8970.

Of course I'm loosely basing this off what we see now with the 6970 and the 7970.

I'm currently running 2 6950's in crossfire and have no intention or need to upgrade my gpu anytime soon. maybe once Star Citizen comes out if that is able to push the graphics.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

@Ruecan, my 6950s just can play Crysis 3 with everything maxed out at 1920 x 1200 but with just AA on and it gets an average of 23FPS based on Fraps.

So wouldn't it be cheaper for me to get two 6950's? Which models specially do you guys own?