Fury X Memory Overclocked by 20%

It's hard to say if 20% would make a difference? Well over clocking gddr5 makes no difference so do you honestly think that overclocking hbm which is overkill memory would make a difference? It will probably be a couple years before hbm if something that effects gaming in a meaningful way.

Made a huge difference on my 970

... But if we compare with the R9 390X, then the Fury X should be more bandwidth-limited. The 390X has 2816 shaders and 384 GB/s memory bandwidth; that's 0.136 GB/s per shader. The Fury X has 4096 shaders and 512 GB/s memory bandwidth; that's only 0.125 GB/s per shader.

The 390x is still a GCN 1.1 chip. The fiji is GCN 1.2 and therefor comes with color/delta compression and saves a lot of bandwidth when handling framebuffers.

I didn't say per clock, I said per watt. A 20% OC on the core will give better performance results than a 20% OC on the memory, but will also increase power by a lot more.

I tested this with lowering the power limit with the core overclocked on stock voltage, every time I increased the memory clock, I got better results, the core didn't boost quite as high, but still results were better.

I didn't say you said "per clock", I said that. I was agreeing to where you said if you reach the limit on the core, to then OC the memory. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

With my 760's I could only manage a 100Mhz offset which was pretty awful, despite that it improved performance by an average of 2%. More is more, memory OC's do make a difference period.

yes but when you have to dial back your core by 50MHz for those 100MHz on VRAM, it hurts performance. overclock your core, then if the IMC will take it still, give that a run for its money. by the time you do that, you wont even notice the 2% difference anyway though

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Good to see HBM 0.9a (I made the version number up) doesn't literally just supernova when overclocked. Other than that, I see no practical need for HBM OC at the moment (maybe for getting rid of texture pop-in in Rage LOL gg id Software) 

What I want need to see is voltage control on the GPU itself, if AMD doesn't sort this shit out B E F O R E reviewers get at the Fury non-X they will manage to dealbreak a sale to me for the hundreth time WHEN I ACTUALLY WANTED TO BUY AMD! (I had Fury X in the bag before reviews went up, and cancelled it last moment because no voltage control)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Can't wait for Fury X custom vBIOS'es lol, especially if voltage can be tweaked.

its gonna be maaaaad

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Yeah you are right. You are so right smart guy. I forgot about that extra 1fps you will get from an extra 400mhz on memory.

Actually "smart guy" my gtx 670 gained 3-5 fps  around 50-60 fps which is a great up to 10% bonus fps, when i overcloked the memory by 500mhz, so yeah shut up.

And this gain was consistent across most games, what you compare gpu memory to CPU ram? where the frequency makes no difference, or you actually think you need to use all the bandwidth before OC is required? all wrong, you get extra fps from GDDR5 OC, try it then talk.