Is it a good idea to have a self-contained water-cooled graphics card besides an AIO CPU cooler?

Go to solution Solved by Midnitewarrior4,

I'll have to see if this particular EVGA model allows unplugging its own loop and can be connected to another. However, i'm not sure if simply connecting it to the H240-X would be enough, i suspect a higher quantity of coolant liquid would be needed (a new, larger reservoir) due to the longer, combined loop. This could be a plan for the future, but at the moment i kinda like the idea of having a graphics card that already comes with built-in watercooling, everything hassle-free and ready to roll.

I'm pretty sure you cant plug the hybrid card into the 240 due to the gpu having its own aio it's not just a custom loop in its own. If you wanted to plug the gpu into the 240 then you need a card with a water block meant for a custom loop like the evga hydro copper or you would have to pickup a block from EK or someplace. Also you would not need a bigger res you would just have to add more coolant. Also you would want to add another radiator. Honestly it would be cheaper and easier just to run the evga hybrid on its own and leave the 240x just for your cpu

I'm thinking of purchasing a self-contained water-cooled nVidia GTX 980 Ti graphics card, such as EVGA's model. The thing is, i already purchased an AIO liquid CPU cooler, Swiftech's H240-X. I don't intend - at least not yet - to hook up the graphics card to this expandable H240-X cooler. So, they would be 2 completely separate cooling circuits in the same computer - one for the graphics card and one for the CPU.

Is this a good or a bad idea? What are the pitfalls i should look for? The case i'll be using is a Phanteks Enthoo Primo, so there should be plenty of space (not sure where to fit the AIO fans best, though, so suggestions are welcome). Also, i have a 1000+ W PSU so powering it all shouldn't be a problem.

Well you could add the GPU to the loop, that's what the "expandable" part of the H240-X is for

"Rawr XD"

It would be fine, I would personally prefer having 1 loop, but it's fine.

Temps should be better on CPU in duel loops tho iirc.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Well you could add the GPU to the loop, that's what the "expandable" part of the H240-X is for

I'll have to see if this particular EVGA model allows unplugging its own loop and can be connected to another. However, i'm not sure if simply connecting it to the H240-X would be enough, i suspect a higher quantity of coolant liquid would be needed (a new, larger reservoir) due to the longer, combined loop. This could be a plan for the future, but at the moment i kinda like the idea of having a graphics card that already comes with built-in watercooling, everything hassle-free and ready to roll.

I prefer 2 loops. If you want to change the GPU, you can leave the CPU loop alone. Easier for maintenance. Also, although the pump from H240X is powerful enough to push extra components. Pump speed has to be set higher to provide the flow. If you only have a CPU and a rad, you can set the pump below 2000rpm so it runs silently. 

I'm pretty sure you cant plug the hybrid card into the 240 due to the gpu having its own aio it's not just a custom loop in its own. If you wanted to plug the gpu into the 240 then you need a card with a water block meant for a custom loop like the evga hydro copper or you would have to pickup a block from EK or someplace. Also you would not need a bigger res you would just have to add more coolant. Also you would want to add another radiator. Honestly it would be cheaper and easier just to run the evga hybrid on its own and leave the 240x just for your cpu
Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread !