Ive been spying the idea for a HG10 + X41 on my 980ti for a few weeks now.... I don't really like the idea of the VRM+RAM not being covered by a heat spreader - sure I can use some of my own heat sinks... but.

Had a thought...

what about if I did the following:

post-144788-0-69814000-1435296719.png

used a full cover EK water block, a Phobya 12v pump and an EK 240mm rad.

Can you make a "custom" loop with no res? I can use the bleed point on the radiator to get the air out...

Is it a bad idea to make a custom closed loop?

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

-SNIP-

That's basically a custom loop and you can make it without a res but ti's not recommended since bleeding is a pain and the pump will need to be at the very bottom of the loop to always get water you never want it to run dry. 

In most cases if you custom water cool the GPU it's almost always worth it to add the CPU into the loop also since it's such a small amount of money in the big scheme of things.

For the AIO system with a bracket you can add in heatsinks on the VRM chips with thermal adhesive to give it proper cooling.

Can you make a "custom" loop with no res? I can use the bleed point on the radiator to get the air out...

Is it a bad idea to make a custom closed loop?

You can, but I wouldn't do it. It will be a pain to fill and bleed. I would still do the custom loop, just with a reservoir since its not that hard to integrate in your system and the cost isn't that much.

The HG10 does cover the VRMs and VRAM.  That is the main selling point of the HG10 over the G10.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The HG10 does cover the VRMs and VRAM.  That is the main selling point of the HG10 over the G10.

it does however I cannot buy it in Australia

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

That's basically a custom loop and you can make it without a res but ti's not recommended since bleeding is a pain and the pump will need to be at the very bottom of the loop to always get water you never want it to run dry. 

In most cases if you custom water cool the GPU it's almost always worth it to add the CPU into the loop also since it's such a small amount of money in the big scheme of things.

For the AIO system with a bracket you can add in heatsinks on the VRM chips with thermal adhesive to give it proper cooling.

You can, but I wouldn't do it. It will be a pain to fill and bleed. I would still do the custom loop, just with a reservoir since its not that hard to integrate in your system and the cost isn't that much.

ok... i was considering this approach as it was only a little more expensive than the g10+x41 approach, once I include a res and/or cpu block its up to close to double.

might just be easier to go for an AIO...

Never ever build any sort of liquid loop without a res or expansion area. When liquid heats, it expands and thus needs room to expand. Either you use an actual reservoir, or you use a T-line. In any case, you need somewhere for the liquid to go when it expands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Line

went with an G10 + X41

went with an G10 + X41

Make sure you buy some thermal pads and heatsinks to cover the VRMs.  Or at the very least, a really powerful 92mm fan run at 100% speed at all times.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Why no one considers Swiftech MCR140-X with custom GPU water block?

Make sure you buy some thermal pads and heatsinks to cover the VRMs.  Or at the very least, a really powerful 92mm fan run at 100% speed at all times.

done, I have some non-conductive double-sided tape holding some heatsinks in place presently some pads and epoxy on the way (the pads I recieved proved useless as there was no way to secure the heat sink to them... sticky on one side only.

I wasnt aware of this option. It would be a much better choice than a custom loop as described in my original post. though by the time I bought a water block and lines/fittings this option would be double the price of a G10+x41 - yet still its cheaper than a full loop.

thanks for pointing the swiftech out to me

done, I have some non-conductive double-sided tape holding some heatsinks in place presently some pads and epoxy on the way (the pads I recieved proved useless as there was no way to secure the heat sink to them... sticky on one side only.

I wasnt aware of this option. It would be a much better choice than a custom loop as described in my original post. though by the time I bought a water block and lines/fittings this option would be double the price of a G10+x41 - yet still its cheaper than a full loop.

thanks for pointing the swiftech out to me

Don't use epoxy. Just get some proper thermal pads

-SNIP-

Just use some good thermal tape that's double sided.

It's a good solution if nothing goes wrong with the unit, there have been a lot of issues with the swiftech expandable units that have been brought up on the forums either out of the box or shortly down the road. 

Don't use epoxy. Just get some proper thermal pads

would you mind linking me some decent ones? pref. ebay for simple purchase

It's a good solution if nothing goes wrong with the unit, there have been a lot of issues with the swiftech expandable units that have been brought up on the forums either out of the box or shortly down the road. 

Most of the problems I see are contaminated coolant and leaching plasticizer. Since the MCR140-X is a barebone unit, no fluid, no tubing, etc. Fingers cross, I don't want to point people to the dark side of the force.

Some AIOs besides Corsair and NZXT have very unique designs, like the Swiiftech, and Alphacool Eisberg 240. Sadly the bad execution, like noisy pump, hinders their true potential.