PS4 Hard Drive Upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

~snip~

Hey Spirit_Hunter,

Getting a larger SSD would surely cost you more than the console itself so I wouldn't go for that. Also there are a number of reviews of people using SSDs on the PS4 and all of them reported that there was a very small gain in loading times.
SSHD has also been tried and said to not have almost any gains at all. 
I would go for a higher RPM regular HDD in order to improve the loading times a bit and still not go over budget for little to none gains. 
WD Green might be a good drive for this, but as the guys pointed out, the frequent powersaving features might interfere with the games' loading times. 
I would consider WD Black for fast performance and good loading times. It does have a limit of 1TB, though so if the 2TB size is a must, I would consider the WD Green.

Captain_WD.

@captain_WD

The WD drive I had is a WD7500BPVT, I'm using it now as an external drive with a USB enclosure, and no it's not failing, crystaldisk doesn't report any problems.

I replaced it with a Toshiba MQ01ABD100, it's faster and doesn't make any noise.

I'm glad the drive's OK and your data is safe. Is the drive still making noise in the enclosure? If WD DLG reports the drive as healthy, it should be running properly and with no issues. 

@toughtrasher the games might load a bit faster as well as the console itself, but other than that you shouldn't find any other differences. I would second @Sors with the drive choice. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Ended up getting the Seagate Momentus Spinpoint. Drive is very quiet and have had no issues. Highly recommended update.  :)