asus rampage v extreme + intel 5960k + coolermaster v8 gts = all good?

NegaLotus

so, i'm trying to save money and build my first monster pc, the thing is, i'm not sure anymore if my companents will fit all in the mother.

i'll be getting a asus motherboard, the rampage V extreme, and an intel 5960k cpu, so far we are good, the thing is i was planing on going with liquid cooling, since the plan is to OC it to 4.4 mhz, but i've been researching on the AIO liquid coolers, and the risk of leaks terrorizes me, thus i opted for an awesome air cooling, choosing the cooler master V8 GTS (freacking beautifull piece) the thing is, i'm not sure if it will fit with the ram, since i can't find the motherboard sizes anywhere on the freacking internet! but i found lots of cats.

so, the problem lies there, if i'm planing to use Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz, and this cooler, will it fit? or will the cooler touch the ram? if it does, what other cooler should i seek?

thanks in advance.

oh and if you are wondering the pc is going to be used for 3d rendering and modeling and video editing with hard work on after effects and particle simulations, and lots, loooooots of gaming. 

I hate to break it to you, but if you can't figure it out yourself, you probably shouldn't be building something so pricey.

As is, I would suggest a liquid cooler regardless of what you've read, leaks are soooo uncommon with AIO's that it shouldn't even be a concern.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

I hate to break it to you, but if you can't figure it out yourself, you probably shouldn't be building something so pricey.

As is, I would suggest a liquid cooler regardless of what you've read, leaks are soooo uncommon with AIO's that it shouldn't even be a concern.

i know that i should be able to fix it by myself, but i can't find the sizes, but on all the other aspects i'm confident, especially considering the work that i'm going to put the machine into, so yeah, sadly it has to be that pricey

@nega follow your own topics to get notifications of all replies

low profile ram.. it's fine.

As you can see in the picture of it mounted.. hell even big heat spreaders shouldn't touch that thing.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71Zk7KUNMPL._SL1024_.jpg

But really, unless it's damaged in shipping (you should spot a leak) or you do something REALLY silly while installing it (like dropping the rad hard, punching a hole in it with a screwdrive or running a screw though it) it's extremely unlikely that you will get a leak.. 

Basically, mount the AIO to the case first if your worried.. alls well? mount the rest.. It's so rare that these leak that many manufacturers will cover the cost of replacing damaged hardware (as long as the unit has failed vs physically damaged)

I've had mine (installed) in my rig on a flight home where the box and all the clamshell foam got shredded it was mishandled so bad and it was 100% fine..

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

low profile ram.. it's fine.

This, if you're adamant about not getting an AIO

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

Also, unless your going to use the additional PIC-E lanes.. just get the 5820k, no difference apart from that

The LPX is 34 mm and the cooler will cut off anything taller than 50 mm, so you'll be fine.

thank you so much people, wow you really are fast, points for you linus.

so, in your opinion, is this build overkill for AE with lots of element 3d and some particulars, or maya animation and particle simulations? or is it worth going for that cpu.

thank you so much people, wow you really are fast, points for you linus.

so, in your opinion, is this build overkill for AE with lots of element 3d and some particulars, or maya animation and particle simulations? or is it worth going for that cpu.

If your working on this stuff all day every day.. worth it (see my post above about getting the 5820k)

If you do some here and there.. the i7 4790k is still plenty capable..

Also, I'd go SLI 980 Ti's before Titan.

P.S, I edited my first post re the AIO.. take a look.

i made some research and found out that in 3d softwares, the sli is'nt working, that's why i opted for the titan x, i know that in video editing the sli helps.

also i checked and the 5820k seems good, but is the diference in the pci-e the only diference?

also, 2133 mhz ram is low profile? man i'm working with 1600 right now, i thougth that was high.

Low profile means it's short.....

oooohhhhhh that explains it, lol sorry, just got into building no long ago.

i made some research and found out that in 3d softwares, the sli is'nt working, that's why i opted for the titan x, i know that in video editing the sli helps.

also i checked and the 5820k seems good, but is the diference in the pci-e the only diference?

In 3D like Maya, SLI may not work but compute - which is what rendering uses - doesn't care (it actually does, it doesn't like SLI) so two 980Ti's is almost 2x faster in rendering than a single Titan X. If you want viewport performance, look at the Quadro lineup.

Basically SLI is gaming tech, it won't work in 3D properly but multi GPU still works. I use two 780Ti's for rendering and I have to disable SLI but they scale to ~200% of a single.

so, in conclusion, you all recomend not going for the titan x, using sli, and sticking with a 5960x or going to an 5820k.

i'm going to stick with the coolermaster because it looks so good with the rampage V, all black and red.

i still have my doubts with the sli and 3d rendering, can you tell me if AE, Nuke, Premiere get beneficts from sli? or is a titan x better for those? in the side of 3d modeling like maya and zbrush, it wont recognize sli, but still will work better with that than with the titan, is that right?

how about going dual sli with 980 gtx?

sorry for all the questions, since i'm not from the states and this build will be mostly a quarter of my anual income i want it to be perfect.

so, in conclusion, you all recomend not going for the titan x, using sli, and sticking with a 5960x or going to an 5820k.

i'm going to stick with the coolermaster because it looks so good with the rampage V, all black and red.

i still have my doubts with the sli and 3d rendering, can you tell me if AE, Nuke, Premiere get beneficts from sli? or is a titan x better for those? in the side of 3d modeling like maya and zbrush, it wont recognize sli, but still will work better with that than with the titan, is that right?

how about going dual sli with 980 gtx?

sorry for all the questions, since i'm not from the states and this build will be mostly a quarter of my anual income i want it to be perfect.

Don't use SLI. SLI is a gaming technology for using 2+ GPU's to run together in a game.

Having two GPUs doesn't mean using SLI. If you leave the SLI turned off with both cards installed and use a renderer (VRay or IRay) that supports GPU acceleration, you will see a large decrease in time to render(it will roughly render in half the time of a single card). 

Maya render will both GPU's during render, not during modeling but Titan X won't help much in the FPS in viewport. That is Quadros territory.

ZBrush is a software render, doesn't even use the GPU. If you use it heavily, 5960X might actually be worthwhile.

so, i get the sli module and only activate it for gaming, and when on maya i do'nt use sli, that's it?

also, with a sli gtx 980 gtx nvidia, will it work better for gaming in ultra than the titan right?

b249659945.png

Here is the Nvidia Options menu for SLI. It's purely done in software.

SLI 980 is faster than Titan X in games.

Here is a comparison between certain consumer cards and some pro grade cards - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/specviewperf-12-workstation-graphics-benchmark,3778-9.html

You might want to consider Quadro cards if you are seriously into modelling in Maya. Once the polygon count gets high, consumer grade cards begin to hog.

i considered quadro, but i can't afford 5000 usd in a card, so i'll go with the dual evga 980 gtx, the i7 5960x, and the air cooled coolermaster v8, all in the rampage v extreme, with that ram i mentioned.

so, what do you think? that seems right?

Yeah Quadro is crazy expensive for the spec of the card, you are basically paying for the secret sauce drivers they run.

Also will you use 64GB of ram, I'd be at a push to go over 32GB (I'm not sure how memory heavy Maya becomes, I've used it a little but not that much) during a compile.

DDR4 Ram seems really expensive right now, I'd be tempted to go for 32GB and buy more later if you need it.