CPU or GPU for upgrade?

Vahukomm

Hey guys,

So I'm planning an upgrade for my PC. Original build was very budget so I've gradually upgraded certain bits but some parts are old and need upgrading.

These are my current specs:

CPU: i5 3570k
GPU: GTX 760

MOBO: Gigabyte H61M-D2-B3
RAM: Corsair Vengance 8GB
PSU: super budget, like 20$ 500W not even sure what brand lol

Now my dilemma is between upgrading

CPU to i7 4790
MOBO to Z97 Gaming

PSU to something better

or

GPU to GTX 970

PSU to something better

PC is mostly for gaming. I do sometimes use more CPU intensive programs but definitely more rarely than gaming. And so far haven't really needed more CPU power also for those. I do like to have multiple applications open at the same time and do multiple things while gaming but I'm not sure if that is worth spending so much on a CPU. Though some newer games are much more CPU demanding, I feel like I would get a lot more out of a GPU in gaming still. Buying the CPU and MOBO definitely would be a bigger upgrade and more "future proof" since it looks like GPUs need upgrading more often. Since I'll be spending a lot of money I don't want to make the wrong choice. So what should I go for?

Upgrade the GPU. You will notice more difference in that department than anything else when it comes to gaming performance. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

go with the GTX 970 it will be the most noticable increase but the CPU might be a botleneck, not sure but it might

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

go with the GTX 970 it will be the most noticable increase but the CPU might be a botleneck, not sure but it might

The CPU is fine and upgrade the GPU

Upgrade psu and gpu. A good psu will improve component life and system stability.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.