HTPC?

Random32

I'm putting together an HTPC that will only be used for heavy Chrome browsing and some video playback. Will this work? And will 1x8GB of RAM be THAT much slower than 2x4GB? I didn't have any RAM in the parts list because I actually have one spare stick of 8GB.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($121.98 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($41.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Rosewill R379-M MicroATX Slim Case w/300W Power Supply  ($54.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $273.93

CPU: i7 2600k @4.2GHz GPU: GTX 660 Power Supply: EVGA SupernovaNEX 750W 80+ Bronze RAM: 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws X

As long as it's DDR3 ram, I think it's only like a 10-15% increase on single to dual channel ram, at most.

If you just have an extra stick of 8GB RAM then use that. No need to go out and buy 2x4GB. 

One thing I find troubling about hometheatre PC's is the amount of heat that they kick out. Linus actually had this issue so he cut holes to vent the air that it was in. 

Just a thought, would consider keeping it in an open area. 

Everything else checks out fine for me :) (See if you can get a cheaper CPU. You don't really need a lot for web browsing or video playback.)

If you just have an extra stick of 8GB RAM then use that. No need to go out and buy 2x4GB. 

One thing I find troubling about hometheatre PC's is the amount of heat that they kick out. Linus actually had this issue so he cut holes to vent the air that it was in. 

Everything else checks out fine for me :) (See if you can get a cheaper CPU. You don't really need a lot for web browsing or video playback.)

Thanks for the insight! I was originally going to go with a Pentium but I thought that I would need hyperthreading because the people who are going to be using this machine are on the older side and probably won't know to close out of everything that they're not using....

CPU: i7 2600k @4.2GHz GPU: GTX 660 Power Supply: EVGA SupernovaNEX 750W 80+ Bronze RAM: 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws X

Do you have another slim case I could get that has better cooling? Preferably the same size as this one.

Do you have another slim case I could get that has better cooling? Preferably the same size as this one.

No, I actually consider it to be a good case for what you are doing with it. 

I don't see the case being the problem, I see it being where you would put it. just make sure its in a well ventilated TV stand or something along those lines.