Wi-Fi annoyance with my PC

geoseff

Well, for the past months, my desktop PC has been using a USB WiFi adapter from Netgear. The speeds are great and latency is minimal when using it, but occasionally I can't get a connection to my dual-band router. I have tried using the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew commands in the command prompt, and that fixes the problem, but usually minutes later I have to go in the command prompt and do the ipconfig commands again. So my question is, how can I stop this annoyance? The drivers for the adapter are up to date, so how can I fix this?

Well, for the past months, my desktop PC has been using a USB WiFi adapter from Netgear. The speeds are great and latency is minimal when using it, but occasionally I can't get a connection to my dual-band router. I have tried using the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew commands in the command prompt, and that fixes the problem, but usually minutes later I have to go in the command prompt and do the ipconfig commands again. So my question is, how can I stop this annoyance? The drivers for the adapter are up to date, so how can I fix this?

Any chance you would be willing to switch to a TP-Link PowerLine Adapter?  I did recently and my results are incredible!  They also have a model with a WiFi extender for a little more, and its another great product.

I find that I am getting better speeds, but most importantly, a much more consistent result.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

No, my PC is far (like four rooms) away from my router, and while it is $37 on Newegg, I am saving up for another build, so that is not an option for me right now.

Have you tried manually setting a static IP in the network settings for your adapter? I had a similar issue with an old USB wifi dongle, don't remember what kind it was, and that fixed it. It'd be beneficial if you could reserve/dedicate that static IP to your laptop in your router's firmware, too.

No, my PC is far (like four rooms) away from my router, and while it is $37 on Newegg, I am saving up for another build, so that is not an option for me right now.

Maybe just move your PC? 

usb wifi adapters are generally crap

and I suspect thats your problem in this case

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile