Reinstalling Windows to SSD First Time Question

Champion-Craig
Go to solution Solved by gollum99,

Wow that just made life extremely easy..... thanks!

ye just unplug all the other ones, only the one youre installing to leave it plugged it

I just recently picked up a Samsung 850 evo 250GB off Amazon to finally put my Windows on. I have two 1TB Western Digital Blues at the moment. I'm only wiping the one Windows 7 is on (c:). My main question is will I be able to plug in and use my E: drive (my other 1 TB HDD) without having to wipe it when I have my SSD running Windows? Will Windows just detect it automatically as formatted and operate normally? I know I will have to reformat my other 1TB drive the one that windows was previously on. 

Thanks in advance.

Specs:  CPU- AMD FX 8320 @ 3.5Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 GPU -EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked  RAM- 16GB 1600MHz (4x4)  HD- Western Digital Blue Hard Drive 1TB  PSU - Corsair CX 750M Case: Corsair 300R OS-  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Edition 2013 

You can leave it plugged in. Windows won't automatically wipe anything

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I just recently picked up a Samsung 850 evo 250GB off Amazon to finally put my Windows on. I have two 1TB Western Digital Blues at the moment. I'm only wiping the one Windows 7 is on (c:). My main question is will I be able to plug in and use my E: drive (my other 1 TB HDD) without having to wipe it when I have my SSD running Windows? Will Windows just detect it automatically as formatted and operate normally? I know I will have to reformat my other 1TB drive the one that windows was previously on. 

Thanks in advance.

You won't have to format anything really, if you unplug the HDD that has windows on it while you install windows to the SSD the install wont detect it and it will be like its not there, so once you install windows, plugin the hdd again and it should pop up, if not you'll have to initialize it in the disk manager, no biggy

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Thanks in advance.

Windows should just assign it a letter and all your stuff will be there. If for some reason it doesn't show in my computer open disk management and assign it a letter.  I may say you need to import the drive, just say yes and have fun looking at your cat pictures.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

You can leave it plugged in. Windows won't automatically wipe anything

Dont leave it plugged in, windows sometimes puts the bootmanager on the hdd then and that sucks

Dont leave it plugged in, windows sometimes puts the bootmanager on the hdd then and that sucks

I've never had that issue, but just to be safe unplug it i guess

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

You won't have to format anything really, if you unplug the HDD that has windows on it while you install windows to the SSD the install wont detect it and it will be like its not there, so once you install windows, plugin the hdd again and it should pop up, if not you'll have to initialize it in the disk manager, no biggy

So if I understand what you're saying just unplug my HDD with Windows on it, Install Windows on my SSD. Replug my old HDDs in and it will read my data? 

Specs:  CPU- AMD FX 8320 @ 3.5Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 GPU -EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked  RAM- 16GB 1600MHz (4x4)  HD- Western Digital Blue Hard Drive 1TB  PSU - Corsair CX 750M Case: Corsair 300R OS-  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Edition 2013 

So if I understand what you're saying just unplug my HDD with Windows on it, Install Windows on my SSD. Replug my old HDDs in and it will read my data? 

Yes, during installation only have the drive youre installing windows on plugged in tho

Yes, during installation only have the drive youre installing windows on plugged in tho

So it doesn't even matter one of the HDDs has windows on it?

So it doesn't even matter one of the HDDs has windows on it?

Nah

Nah

ye just unplug all the other ones, only the one youre installing to leave it plugged it