My GPU Is So Damn Hot

alanp1995

I just put my ITX build together today and I was running Unigine Valley, the temperature was switching between 79/80 Degrees Celcius...... This seems very high.

I did buy 2 extra case fans which I was going to have as out take fans at the back of the case but there is nowhere to plug them in as I thought these ones came with a molex adapter but they didn't.

So basically all I have is the 120mm fan at the front of the case as the intake and the Hyper TX3 Evo on the CPU and then the GPU. Is there any way to cool this down? Or maybe is there such thing as a 3 way 3 pin molex adapter?

Here is my build - http://pcpartpicker.com/user/SavageSpud/saved/

80C is fine only worry about 92+

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Nothing to worry about, the card was built to run at those temps. I bet the card's fans aren't even anywhere near full speed yet.

Cards heat up to such temperatures, and once they get up there the fans start spinning up to keep them at said temps.

You may be able to override the fan profile with 3rd party software, but there's no need for that really.

80c is fine for a stock cooled 970. But to be sure, how hot is your room? And if noise is not a major issue, you can manually set the fans to run at higher speeds.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

Alternatively, if you are happy with the performance at 1080p you can always underclock the GPU to make it quieter and possibly cooler. I underclock all my video cards if the video card renders games exceeding 100 fps. Just because I have a 60hz monitor and any fps over 60 is smooth and doesn't make a discernable difference in my eyes to smooth gameplay.

There's not really a solution. But what you can do is use those fans you got with a Molex adapter and just plug them into your PSU. They will run at full speed, but if you really want the cooler GPU, then this should be ok for you

FairladyZ | If you want to reply to me, please quote my post! Idiocity, the best money wasting PC build ever!

Thats Zotac for u i guess.

However the tems are still within the limit so no worries.

PS. I preffer my cards cooler too.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Thanks everyone for all the answers, seems like nothing to worry about.

There's not really a solution. But what you can do is use those fans you got with a Molex adapter and just plug them into your PSU. They will run at full speed, but if you really want the cooler GPU, then this should be ok for you

What I had said in the post was the extra 2 case fans I purchased didn't come with a Molex adapter and I thought they would have. So is there any molex to 3 pin connecter that I could buy? Thanks.

I underclock all my video cards if the video card renders games exceeding 100 fps.

Why not just set an FPS cap so your GPU never goes over 60fps? In less demanding games it'll sit at a lower load and temperature.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Why not just set an FPS cap so your GPU never goes over 60fps? In less demanding games it'll sit at a lower load and temperature.

Not sure what's more effective at reducing GPU temperatures... Turning on VSync (limiting GPU to 60 FPS) or undervolting the GPU. I believe undervolting is more effective but I can't be sure because I haven't tested it explicitly. Purely based on my bitcoin mining experience.

Not sure what's more effective at reducing GPU temperatures... Turning on VSync (limiting GPU to 60 FPS) or undervolting the GPU. I believe undervolting is more effective but I can't be sure because I haven't tested it explicitly. Purely based on my bitcoin mining experience.

Turning on Vsync is horrible, I set an FPS cap through Riva Statistics Tuner. Saves the hassle of messing around with GPU settings when you need 100% power.
12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Its a small build and not the best cooler, so these temps are fine.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Eww Zotac. But yea temps are not super worrisome even if they are uncomfortable.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS