Hello, Recently I just passed one million points, and I am wondering, how much does folding actually help to find cures for illnesses and diseases and such? I fell like there should be another sentence here to give this post some depth, but no, I'll just put this here.Thanks for your responses!

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Depends. Your WU could contribute nothing at all, or it could help discover a massive breakthrough in medical knowledge. Hard to quantify it. 

Folding@home is not directly looking for cures for diseases per se - I mean, it is but its "mission" is to understand how protein folding occurs and why proteins sometimes "misfold." That is the basis for what folding@home is trying to do.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I mean, as a total community around the globe, All the teams, all the single folders put together, how much has it helped in the fields of medicalness and scienceness? (medical and science).

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Unfortunately, you're going to feel insignificant...and to be honest, you are. That's the whole point. Individually, we're all nothing, but collectively, we're an effective unit that helps to research diseases. If we all had the attitude of "what's the point?" F@H would fail, so we all need to persevere. 

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

I mean, as a total community around the globe, All the teams, all the single folders put together, how much has it helped in the fields of medicalness and scienceness? (medical and science).

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-diseases/

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Unfortunately, you're going to feel insignificant...and to be honest, you are. That's the whole point. Individually, we're all nothing, but collectively, we're an effective unit that helps to research diseases. If we all had the attitude of "what's the point?" F@H would fail, so we all need to persevere. 

Yah, but what have we done, as a whole?

Hello, Recently I just passed one million points, and I am wondering, how much does folding actually help to find cures for illnesses and diseases and such? I fell like there should be another sentence here to give this post some depth, but no, I'll just put this here.Thanks for your responses!

dam 1 million, im just about to hit 10k points :P gotta start somewhere. anyways i was also wondering this, how could some computers find a cure for a disease but it seems that it actually helps quite a bit from what ive seen so far in this thread

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

dam 1 million, im just about to hit 10k points :P gotta start somewhere. anyways i was also wondering this, how could some computers find a cure for a disease but it seems that it actually helps quite a bit from what ive seen so far in this thread

Basically, many computers are linked over the world wide spiderweb and generally supercomputes the way the proteins fold. Smart people then interpret that and figure out medicines. (I'm not one of those smart people so that's the best I've got for you).

Should be going up 'bout the same in points as me with your 970  (slightly more probs), you will soon break one mil if you fold at night and when you're away.

Basically, many computers are linked over the world wide spiderweb and generally supercomputes the way the proteins fold. Smart people then interpret that and figure out medicines. (I'm not one of those smart people so that's the best I've got for you).

Should be going up 'bout the same in points as me with your 970  (slightly more probs), you will soon break one mil if you fold at night and when you're away.

ya i figured out how folding worked, i just passed 11k, and ya id be quite high if my drivers didnt keep crashing :P. i was at 80% on a 6 hour fold and the driver crashed and caused the fold to fail and restart :/. and i dont think ill get to 1 mill all that soon i only fold when im doing homework which is usually only a couple hours a nigh and i do it sometimes on the weekend when im home. wish i had a dedicated folding rig though, dont think my parents would be happy with the power bill if i let my rig run on high for 24/7 even though the 970`s are pretty efficient

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

ya i figured out how folding worked, i just passed 11k, and ya id be quite high if my drivers didnt keep crashing :P. i was at 80% on a 6 hour fold and the driver crashed and caused the fold to fail and restart :/. and i dont think ill get to 1 mill all that soon i only fold when im doing homework which is usually only a couple hours a nigh and i do it sometimes on the weekend when im home. wish i had a dedicated folding rig though, dont think my parents would be happy with the power bill if i let my rig run on high for 24/7 even though the 970`s are pretty efficient

is your 970m oc'd? f@h doesn't like overclocks (mine is a little though

EDIT- Speakibng of power, If I tell my mom I'm folding, she will turn off my computer because of power usage lol.

is your 970m oc'd? f@h doesn't like overclocks (mine is a little though

EDIT- Speakibng of power, If I tell my mom I'm folding, she will turn off my computer because of power usage lol.

xD 290x probs. and no its stock when folding

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

Ever hear the phrase every penny counts? same thing here.

I don't fold . . . yet, but I will when I am able. They need our help.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

F@H has led to the publication of quite a lot of scientific papers.  The sum of scientific papers is basically our total knowledge, so it's definitely increased our total knowledge.  No massive breakthroughs that I know of, but every little bit helps. Not saying F@H will do it directly, but understanding how proteins fold is probably the biggest unsolved problem in biochemistry. It has world altering benefits and applications.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD