Open Back Headphones for Gaming and Music (help please)

Hello,

So First of all i have a question about my motherboard which may or may not alter my decision. it says on the specifications that the on board sound card "can drive up to 600 Ohms" and this just seems a bit iffy. I have no clue but confirmation would be nice http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4959#ov. 

I am into FPS games mainly CS:GO and am struggling to play well because i cant hear the guy running up behind me and knifing me when im cornered in short in de_Dust2... the pains of life. so anyway i read that open back headphones are better for gaming in general because of the wide sound stage so you can hear more in depth and so on, but does this really matter?

I also would like for the headphones to be semi-suited to my taste in music, which for the foreseeable future is electrical stuff like Monstercat (for example) and pop stuff (like most of the top chart stuff these days). What headphones suit these needs reasonably well and are accessible in Australia. My budget will be around 300$ AUD but i dont really want to spend that much because i need to get a mic as well and i don't know how much that will be.

here are some headphones i have been looking at:

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro $269 AUD

http://www.jaben.com.au/collections/beyerdynamic/products/bey-dt990pro

My issue with this is that it is a 250 Ohm headphone and from my reading they almost always need a DAC/AMP but my motherboard says up to 600 Ohm so i am not sure if this will eventually incur extra costs of an amp etc.

Sennheiser HD558 $200-250 AUD (depending on stock levels)

http://www.jaben.com.au/collections/sennheiser/products/sen-hd558

This looks like a very nice headphone and is equally favoured with the DT990

thats about all i can think of that interests me at this stage and is also why im asking, as you are the wizards :) I am open to any suggestion if you think it will fit my needs well enough. If i have missed anything important in this tell me so i can help you help me.

cheers :)

If you need both music and gaming, get beyers.

You should be fine with this mobo's soundcard.

I was using 558's, but they didn't satisfy me (good for multimedia, but not for the music), so I got refund and ordered a made-to-order monitors.

For gaming you want bass. The Senn doesn't have much bass.

Look at the Audio Technica x900 open or Takstar hi2050.

Even better the Philips X2 Fidelio. Those are solid.

i have the sennheiser g4me one and i love it, its extremely good for cs:go and it sounds good for music, even better with a soundcard, the bass is out of this world imo.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

yes those. My buddy is getting them this week. I will let u know what he thinks.

For gaming you want bass. The Senn doesn't have much bass.

Look at the Audio Technica x900 open or Takstar hi2050.

Even better the Philips X2 Fidelio. Those are solid.

You say the HD 558 doesn't have much bass and then recommend the 900X which has less?

500x1000px-LL-cd95cac3_graphCompare.png

My recommendation would be the DT 990 of the two, but the HD 518 might also be a good choice based on your music preferences. 

I heard the 598 and they didn't have any bass compared to the cans I've heard. Z reviews on YT just did a gaming headphone review. Was very informative.