I can't interact with my HDD in an external enclosure with USB 3.0

Liongate99
Go to solution Solved by CK_WD,

Hello Liongate99!

This could be a driver issue for real. You could try reinstalling them.

You could also change the cable, use a new shorter one, and if the problem continues try connecting the drive using a USB to SATA adapter rather than an enclosure. Does it work then? Another thing you can try is uninstalling the drive from Device Manager, power down, replug, power back on, as quite often the drive just needs a fresh install to be working correctly with the PC. Or it could be the USB 3.0 controller in the enclosure that's faulty.

Is your cable USB 3.0? Try using a USB 2.0 cable with the device in a USB 3.0 port, see if it works, what are the speeds?

Post back! :)

CK_WD

My 2 year old MSI GE60 0ND laptop was turning into a slow machine so I decided to replace its HDD with an SSD. By going with a fast SSD, I sacrifice the huge storage given by my slow and old HDD so I bought a 2tb WD black and put it in an external enclosure. So my plan is to put my steam games in the black and my work stuff in the SSD. So I cloned my old HDD onto the SSD and my laptop feels like new. Onto the black, my computer can see it, but that's it, I can't interact with the WD black with the 2 USB 3.0 ports on my laptop. I can't even make a folder in the black!. I connected the black with a USB2.0 port and it worked. I tried to transfer my steam games through the USB 2.0 port and it also worked! (I waited for around 4 hours to transfer everything) I can even play my games! (with a little lag now & then), but that's all through USB 2.0.

I need help cause everything is so slow!

HELP! FROM THE PHILIPPINES!

and sorry for making everything so long, I'm new here.

And I'm using this kind of cheap enclosure I found.  

Probox ROCK HDL-SU3 3.5"" Sata HDD USB3.0 Enclosure Aluminum Box

Have you got the correct USB3 drivers installed? Can you try another USB3 device and see if it works?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Hello Liongate99!

This could be a driver issue for real. You could try reinstalling them.

You could also change the cable, use a new shorter one, and if the problem continues try connecting the drive using a USB to SATA adapter rather than an enclosure. Does it work then? Another thing you can try is uninstalling the drive from Device Manager, power down, replug, power back on, as quite often the drive just needs a fresh install to be working correctly with the PC. Or it could be the USB 3.0 controller in the enclosure that's faulty.

Is your cable USB 3.0? Try using a USB 2.0 cable with the device in a USB 3.0 port, see if it works, what are the speeds?

Post back! :)

CK_WD

If you think I helped, like!  :P

www.wdc.com