how to decrease snr margin

kamonahos

Hi guys i have a technicolor td5130 updated with the latest firmware and i wonder how can i lower my snr margin in order to improve internet connection a little bit.I have found telnet command and how to enable it at windows and i got into my rooter but i dont know what command i have to type in order to decrease snr margin. I have tried adslctl configure -snr 70 but didnt work.If you have any other suggestions on making my internet more fast i would appreciate it my download speed is max bandwidth 4500....

post-119134-0-74964700-1434319180.png

post-119134-0-36171800-1434319507.png

post-119134-0-23746300-1434320442.png

The SNR Margin is not something you can set, it is a value determined by the line you are connected to and the target speed you modem operates at.

You won't be able to get a higher bandwidth than what your ISP provides you with, they do rate limiting on their end...

More info on the technical terms can be found at: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

indeed, on adsl i think the target snr is either 3,6 or 9 depending on the condition of your line, your isp may be able to set it for you, but would require you call them, NOTE: lower snr can lead to frequent disconnections if not stable.

it does  look like hes capped, my speed was exactly 3998 too, it will be for good reason though, going from 4-4.5 aint gonna make a difference anyway, like 1 second lol. 

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

Ok thanks guys i will call my isp and set snr to at least 6db but will i notice some difference?

Ok thanks guys i will call my isp and set snr to at least 6db but will i notice some difference?

As stated earlier, SNR isn't something that is really able to be set. It is a metric used to determine how clearly your signal is coming into your modem from the outside DSLAM, relative to other noises or interference on the line.

You can generally get better results by using better quality cabling within your house, but so long as your SNR is staying stable, there isn't really anything to do. 

If you're able to get the speeds you're paying for, consider this a dead end. You'd be better off upgrading your speed with your ISP, rather than going through the expense of a rewire, for no meaningful improvement, if faster speeds are what you are seeking.

As stated earlier, SNR isn't something that is really able to be set. It is a metric used to determine how clearly your signal is coming into your modem from the outside DSLAM, relative to other noises or interference on the line.

He's asking a question about the SNR margin, which is the difference between SNR and SNR target, the target being a measure that CAN be set. However, you're completely right in saying that any settings changes won't change the speed.

You can generally get better results by using better quality cabling within your house, but so long as your SNR is staying stable, there isn't really anything to do. 

Cabling withing the house wouldn't really help as it's the cable between the modem and the ISP that determins the SNR on WAN side. In-house cabling is only a veeeeery tiny amount of that, so unless it is specifically damaged in that part, it won't make a difference. Also not that the cable entering your house from the ISP is owned by the ISP and you are usually not allowed to make any changes to it yourself.

If you're able to get the speeds you're paying for, consider this a dead end.

This. This says it all.

Cabling withing the house wouldn't really help as it's the cable between the modem and the ISP that determins the SNR on WAN side. In-house cabling is only a veeeeery tiny amount of that, so unless it is specifically damaged in that part, it won't make a difference.

True. This is assuming the OP has good quality cabling though. I have seen some homes and offices running CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum cabling, bleh) and that does have a major detrimental affect on the quality of a connection. Even short runs are negatively affected.

Though, those locations were built/renovated by shady contractors so, I would consider those the exception. Most homes built by reputable builders will have solid core copper.

as i said in a previous post my friend, going from 4 to 4.5mbps is not likely to show any difference, and it will make your snr lower and could lead to frequent dropouts, some isps do allow you to have a lower snr on request but they will tell the op the exact same as what ive just said.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |