New to cameras, would like advise..

Hello guys!

I dont know much about photo equipment, but I would really like a Canon 550D, if I can scrape enough money together for one. My question is just what lenses should I go for, both when talking close-up photos of my rig and nice pictures of the nature and at parties and such?

Any one have a link to a site which is noob friendly, I know there are alot of different lenses and other equipment with this hobby.. :)

(Comming soon)

I personally found this very usefull when I first got into photos: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9162056837/digital-camera-lens-buying-guide

Edit: I, myself, use a Canon 60D with a 17-55mm lense and the stock lense.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

If you're starting out, the stocks lens will get your job done perfectly, however, investing into good lens is a good idea. 

I have 550D and stock 18-55mm and tamron 70-300mm lenses.

That is enough for me.

this is the config i use it is enough for almost anything 

Matt Key

@SlickKey

I personally found this very usefull when I first got into photos: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9162056837/digital-camera-lens-buying-guide

Edit: I, myself, use a Canon 60D with a 17-55mm lense and the stock lense.

I have 550D and stock 18-55mm and tamron 70-300mm lenses.

That is enough for me.

If you're starting out, the stocks lens will get your job done perfectly, however, investing into good lens is a good idea. 

this is the config i use it is enough for almost anything 

Thank you!

Any place where I can read up on all the settings and different concepts that I should know about when using a DSLR? :)

(Comming soon)

Thank you!

Any place where I can read up on all the settings and different concepts that I should know about when using a DSLR? :)

http://thomashawk.com/2006/04/10-tips-for-new-digital-slr.html

I also recommend maybe subscribing to a photo magazin or more professional oriented website(s). They usually have alot of great tips and information. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Thank you!

In my region, I have the "ClubSNAP Photography Forums" which is very informative.

Check your region for similar sites like this.

Q9400 + Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 | Asus P5G41T-M LX + Kingston DDR3 1333MHz 8GB

Sapphire HD5750 Vapor-X | Dell 2340L | Corsair HX650 (80+ Gold)

WD 1TB Black with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit | Antec 300 Three Hundred

• 3 weeks later...

The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II is probably the best bang for the buck out there. It's not the best looking or best constructed lens but regards to image quailty it's on par with Canons L series lenses.

Although a bit more pricy the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro is one of my all time favorite lenses, it's absolutely amazing for macros & portraits.

50mm f/1.8 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

100mm f/2.8 USM Macro - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194451-USA/Canon_4657A006_100mm_f_2_8_USM_Macro.html

Here's one of my images taken with the 100mm Macro:

6tle.jpg

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

I would get the 40mm pancake over the 50mm plastic fantastic especially on a crop frame camera.

O also I have a t3i which I believe is a 600D.

As for learning basics I just toy around and have fun and you learn how stuff work and what it does. O also I found digialrevtv on youtube not too long after getting my camera and you get some good info every now and then just be aware some videos are not as informative as others. I think of they as the top gear of the camera world.

The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II is probably the best bang for the buck out there. It's not the best looking or best constructed lens but regards to image quailty it's on par with Canons L series lenses.

Although a bit more pricy the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro is one of my all time favorite lenses, it's absolutely amazing for macros & portraits.

50mm f/1.8 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

100mm f/2.8 USM Macro - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194451-USA/Canon_4657A006_100mm_f_2_8_USM_Macro.html

Here's one of my images taken with the 100mm Macro:

I want that macro would be s9o nice for keyboard and tech pics among otherthings.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Tamron 18-270 on my Nikon D5100 that I hardly ever take off. Basically it is good for almost everyday use/need. It is also available for canon too. Its also cheaper then the canon/nikon zoom lenses and has a longer zoom range.

Corsair 600T White | Intel i7 3770k | Corsair Vengence 16GB Ram | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard | Corsair HX650 PSU | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Asus PA248Q Monitor

I have a 600D 18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm lenses i love all of them

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Come on guys why no love got Canon's 40mm pancake?