Quiet Computer

Sasori

Hai Guys,

Like the title sugests I want to make my computer a whole lot quieter.

Since I use an Define R5 as case my computer is a lot more silent.

I know the Noctua NF-P14 are very silent and optimized for airflow.

But the problem is I don't like the style of those fans :(

I Search for something similair only with a red led, I was thinking about getting this

How about it ?

And would it be wise to remove my 120mm fan from my Hyper 212 EVO ?
Linus said in his silent build guide, the less moving parts the quieter the PC right ?

And what would you guys sugest ?

Thanks in advance :)

Frieza: It's Those Eyes, They Have The Same Eyes.

more slower moving fans are better than less faster moving fans. use as big and as many fans as you can and make them run really slow. anywhere my PC doesnt have a disk drive, graphics card, real IO, ect I have fitted a fan. My PC has over 500 watts of thermal dissapation and it runs quieter than an xbox 360 phat (which doesnt take much to achive)

I've heard the Bitfenix Spectre Pro LED fans are a good choice.

Not for quiet solution. At full speed regular Spectre Pros are pretty noisy.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Not for quiet solution. At full speed regular Spectre Pros are pretty noisy.

They're the only LED fans I know of.

Get LED strips if you want LED's. Far too many LED fans are crap, and the ones that aren't will result in the annoying need to replace a fan when an LED dies.

Buy some quality fans, buy an LED strip or two, and keep the fan (Or replace it) on your EVO. It's not nearly good enough to be used fanless.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

I always like to have control over my fans.  I can run them low, or even turn them off.  When I need them to perform (overclocking, intense load), I can ramp them up because I do not care about the noise at that point.

Fan hub controllers are cheap and allow you to control your fans from within Windows.  Fan controllers(external) are a bit more expensive.  For the CPU heatsink fins, I would buy one good fan (high static pressure/ moves a lot of air/ and quiet).  I cheaped out and grabbed a Lepa Vortex PWM for $13, it is okay.  I have a Hyper 212 EVO, that stock fan is loud.

I have 3 140mm Bitfenix Spectres (they are not Pros - got them for $7 ea), they are okay.

BFF-SCF-P14025WW-RP-500x500.jpg

I agree with Exceptional OCD. I would suggest (if you really don't like the aesthetics of the Noctua fans) you take a look at some of Bequiets silent wings fans and Fractal's new Venturi fans. I would also just removing things like hard drive bays to get better airflow in the case so you can run your fans at a lower rpm.

Hai Guys,

Like the title sugests I want to make my computer a whole lot quieter.

snip

And would it be wise to remove my 120mm fan from my Hyper 212 EVO ?

Linus said in his silent build guide, the less moving parts the quieter the PC right ?

And what would you guys sugest ?

Thanks in advance :)

are you running the fans at 100% or are you using some type of controller?  mobo's can have decent controllers although sometimes you have to use something like Speedfan or a physical fan controller.

I would not take the fan off the 212 if you are using a 4690k.  you can set the fan curve to be really slow for idle use though if using a software based fan controller and maybe avoid having to buy anything at all.  there are some good tutorials for speedfan setup and configuration on youtube.  it is a bit confusing to some

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

are you running the fans at 100% or are you using some type of controller?  mobo's can have decent controllers although sometimes you have to use something like Speedfan or a physical fan controller.

I would not take the fan off the 212 if you are using a 4690k.  you can set the fan curve to be really slow for idle use though if using a software based fan controller and maybe avoid having to buy anything at all.  there are some good tutorials for speedfan setup and configuration on youtube.  it is a bit confusing to some

I use Speed fan for my 212 fan... great tiny little program, very effective.

I use Speed fan for my 212 fan... great tiny little program, very effective.

its one of my favorite things in the world.  Kinda wish it had more support but im pretty sure it is a one man show so I dont get bent outta shape

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

its one of my favorite things in the world.  Kinda wish it had more support but im pretty sure it is a one man show so I dont get bent outta shape

It is powerful and simple... once you learn how to use it.  I like having my CPU temp displayed, and it is subtle.

s7ZGcvk.png

It is powerful and simple... once you learn how to use it.  I like having my CPU temp displayed, and it is subtle.

s7ZGcvk.png

oh I know how to use it.  I kinda wish it had a few more small tweaks and features in updates.  supposedly you can upload your settings for a specific mobo to a site online and others can then download them but the site never gets updated (last I checked) and doesnt even have any 1150 mobo listed.   I emailed Alfredo about adding some of my 4 mobo settings and info but never heard back.  I think that is probably just a part of the project that has not received as much attention since its not used that much. 

overall great program though.  I have an asus mobo and uninstalled fan xpert3 on day one for my Speedfan

s7ZGcvk.png

what is the big "cpu temp" icon in your tray?

what is the big "cpu temp" icon in your tray?

lol, I drew that in.  I set it to display my total package temperature (average of all cores).  I don't use it for much on this PC, just the one fan. 

The 37 is the temp.  It is hot today.

lol, I drew that in.  I set it to display my total package temperature (average of all cores).  I don't use it for much on this PC, just the one fan. 

The 37 is the temp.  It is hot today.

nice. im gonna have to google how to do that unless you wanna pm it to me.  I feel bad filling up this dudes thread

like I said, sorry for stomping all over your thread dude

nice. im gonna have to google how to do that unless you wanna pm it to me.  I feel bad filling up this dudes thread

like I said, sorry for stomping all over your thread dude

"Configure"

"Temperatures"

Left click on the temperature you want to display and check off the box on the bottom right "Show In Tray".

Click "Okay"

--------------------------------------------------------------

Click "Configure" again and go to "Options"... you can change the text colour, background colour (transparent) and make it larger here.

Note:  Make sure "Static Icon" is not checked off.

Now... Click on the little arrow on the Windows notification area and select "Customize..."

Set the temp for Speedfan to always show it.

"Configure"

"Temperatures"

Left click on the temperature you want to display and check off the box on the bottom right "Show In Tray".

Click "Okay"

Click "Configure" again and go to "Options"... you can change the text colour, background colour (transparent) and make it larger here.

Note: Make sure "Static Icon" is not checked off.

Now... Click on the little arrow on the Windows notification area and select "Customize..."

Set the temp for Speedfan to always show it.

I meant the "cpu temp" icon you drew in