i5 2500k / 4670k

Go to solution Solved by BlackOutCrisis,

The H100i is well out of my budget for a CPU cooler im afraid. And anyway I wasn't wanting extreme overclocks, perhaps 4GHz?

The Evo 212 is a great budget cooler, I personally run one on my 3570k at 4.3Ghz, just don't worry about heat/power consumption when overclocking because you won't be able to push your chip that far with a Evo 212 to where it will make a difference. The 4670k is your best choice by far.

Whats better for overclocking(temperature/power consumption) between the i5 4670k and i5 2500k?

I am asking because I am going to get ann XFX Tahiti card and I heard that generates alot of heat, and I have to decide to get either an i5 2500k or 4670k and I am not sure what generates less heat when overclocked and what draws less power when overclocking? The reason I am asking is because from what I heard is that the 2500k generates less heat but draws more power than the 4670k and I am trying to decide what is better for overclocking with an XFX Tahiti along side it and a 500W PSU. Also my cooler will be a Hyper 212 EVO.

I5 4670k | 7870 Tahiti LE | 1600MHz 2x4GB

Well considering the 2500k is about 15% slower that a 4670k go with a 4670k. That evo 212 is going to stop you from overclocking higher way before the chips will.

Edit* If you want a good balance a 3570k would be awesome to get as you will also save money on CPU and motherboard that way but you are still going to be limited by your cpu cooler and not the chip.

When you say 

That evo 212 is going to stop you from overclocking higher way before the chips will.

Do you mean its not a good cooler? I heard it is great for budget PC's.

In the UK the 4670k is cheaper than the 3570k.

For example Aria sells the 4670k for £179.99 incl VAT and the 3570k on ebay is just the same.

When you say 

Do you mean its not a good cooler? I heard it is great for budget PC's.

In the UK the 4670k is cheaper than the 3570k.

For example Aria sells the 4670k for £179.99 incl VAT and the 3570k on ebay is just the same.

It is a good cooler but it just doesn't compare to something like a h100

like previous post, your cooler will not be enough for overclocking to a higher level, not for both chips.

I have one myself, and it is a great cooler at stock speed (or a little over).

Spend a little more, and have gigantic benefits :-)

Proud to be from Belgium.

The H100i is well out of my budget for a CPU cooler im afraid. And anyway I wasn't wanting extreme overclocks, perhaps 4GHz?

The Evo 212 is a great budget cooler, I personally run one on my 3570k at 4.3Ghz, just don't worry about heat/power consumption when overclocking because you won't be able to push your chip that far with a Evo 212 to where it will make a difference. The 4670k is your best choice by far.

Cool, what temps do you get at idle and under load. Also what is the average temperature where you live.

Cool, what temps do you get at idle and under load. Also what is the average temperature where you live.

My max temps are 70c but that is when I have my A/C on so the room temp is like 22c but when I shut my door and no A/C and it gets to like 33c in my room lol the temps go up but that is under stress testing condition for the CPU, while gaming and streaming the highest it gets is around 60c. I should also add my vcore is 1.184v.

My max temps are 70c but that is when I have my A/C on so the room temp is like 22c but when I shut my door and no A/C and it gets to like 33c in my room lol the temps go up but that is under stress testing condition for the CPU, while gaming and streaming the highest it gets is around 60c. I should also add my vcore is 1.184v.

Sounds ideal for me, thanks!

If you can get a great deal I'd go with the 2500K, the OC's are better and also love your avatar, f**king Eurofighter, that is cool :)

That moisture on the delta wings <3

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate