jedi1122

I recently installed the corsair h110i gt aio liquid cooler into my build

Specs:

Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx

Cpu: Intel core i5 3570k stock speed

Ram: 16gb hyperx Genesis 4x4gb

Hard drives: 240gb ocz vertex 3

Wd black 2tb

Psu cooler Master 700w (don't know model number)

Gpu: gigabyte gtx 970 g1 gaming

Problem:

My computer turns on for 4 seconds, turns off for 6, and then turns and stats on with no post. I think this is because I accidentally turned it on without the sata cord plugged into the pump. I've tried everything in the book from resocketing the cpu to reseting the cmos settings. I do not have another cpu to test if it is my mobo. Have a solution? Please tell me.

Specs:

Wd black 2tb

Problem:

My computer turns on for 4 seconds, turns off for 6, and then turns and stats on with no post. I think this is because I accidentally turned it on without the sata cord plugged into the pump. I've tried everything in the book from resocketing the cpu to reseting the cmos settings. I do not have another cpu to test if it is my mobo. Have a solution? Please tell me.

have you tried the stock cpu cooler again?

Zalman Z9 Plus - GTX 660 TI - i5 2500k @ 4ghz - MSI 1155 Intel P67 - Corsair CMPSU-750HX - 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 - Seagate ST3500413AS 500GB - Seagate ST2000DL003 2TB Backup Storage -  Old CBA to change it.

have you tried the stock cpu cooler again?

Not yet. Let me do that.

how did you reset the bios?

the jumper?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

na that wouldnt have fried it.

sounds like a doa mobo. try removing everything other then one stick and the cpu. if that doesn't work try every ram slot. next try a diff psu.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

Not yet. Let me do that.

Same issue

how did you reset the bios?

the jumper?

Yes

I would try an external base build and see if it will boot

do you know how?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

na that wouldnt have fried it.

sounds like a doa mobo. try removing everything other then one stick and the cpu. if that doesn't work try every ram slot. next try a diff psu.

I don't have another psu and I've tried that.

I originally built the pc in 2011 recently upgraded to 970 and just installed the h110i gt

Specs:

Wd black 2tb

Problem:

Hey jedi1122,

I would try to re-seat all the hardware parts and make sure they are firmly mounted to the motherboard (especially the memory sticks). I've encountered with a similar problem and it turned out to be loose RAM sticks. If that doesn't appear to be the problem, I would test all he parts separately on a different system and see which of them is failing on you. Maybe try to run your system on its bare minimums at stock speeds and cooling. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Out of interest, what happens if you remove the CPU 8-pin and power it on? I'm in the process of replacing my mobo as my PC doesn't boot at all with 8-pin CPU plugged in.

If it stays powered on without cutting out of anything it's most likely the motherboard

CPU: Core i5 4790k, CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i, RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1600MHz (2 x 8GB), GPU: 3GB EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked, Motherboard: Asus Z87 Sabertooth, SSD: 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K, HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black PSU: Corsair AX860, Monitor: Dell 27" U2713HM 1440P/Samsung 42" 1080p LED TV

Out of interest, what happens if you remove the CPU 8-pin and power it on? I'm in the process of replacing my mobo as my PC doesn't boot at all with 8-pin CPU plugged in.

If it stays powered on without cutting out of anything it's most likely the motherboard

it turns on for a split second then instantly shuts down.

Hey jedi1122,

I would try to re-seat all the hardware parts and make sure they are firmly mounted to the motherboard (especially the memory sticks). I've encountered with a similar problem and it turned out to be loose RAM sticks. If that doesn't appear to be the problem, I would test all he parts separately on a different system and see which of them is failing on you. Maybe try to run your system on its bare minimums at stock speeds and cooling. 

Captain_WD.

i have tried reseating the hardware and i dont have another z77 mobo. i know its either the psu, mobo, or cpu because ive taken everything out but those three and it still did it.

it turns on for a split second then instantly shuts down.

In the case, if you haven't already try jumping the PSU (make sure nothing is plugged into the mobo) by sticking a paper clip in the two pins shown below and power it on, that way you can find out if it's the PSU.

jump-start-2.jpg

If the PSU powers on fine, i'm 90% sure you've got a dead mobo

CPU: Core i5 4790k, CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i, RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1600MHz (2 x 8GB), GPU: 3GB EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked, Motherboard: Asus Z87 Sabertooth, SSD: 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K, HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black PSU: Corsair AX860, Monitor: Dell 27" U2713HM 1440P/Samsung 42" 1080p LED TV

In the case, if you haven't already try jumping the PSU (make sure nothing is plugged into the mobo) by sticking a paper clip in the two pins shown below and power it on, that way you can find out if it's the PSU.

jump-start-2.jpg

If the PSU powers on fine, i'm 90% sure you've got a dead mobo

I unplugged everything and it worked fine

In that case, It's most definitely the motherboard.

You're all telling him to take the computer apart as if it's a new build.

It's an old computer?

You upgraded the GPU and heat sink?

A GTX 970 and a Corsair 110.

The computer has been working since 2011?

You upgraded just those two parts without touching the rest of the computer. Meaning the RAM never moved, neither did the CPU or motherboard as it's all in the same case as before the upgrade.

You upgraded but never powered the 110 pump.

I'm only guessing but you disabled the CPU header to notify you about the fan / pump speed on POST. So you never knew the pump wasn't working. The computer booted first time after the upgrade? but later shut off due to no cooling?

Now it won't boot.

Did it ever boot after the upgrade? You should be able to get into windows even without a heat sink. So if never booted at all then that points towards the GPU.

So either the CPU fried from the CPU cooling, as no motherboard cooling was changed.

Or the GPU is DOA.

It's not a race to the bottom.

You're all telling him to take the computer apart as if it's a new build.

It's an old computer?

You upgraded the GPU and heat sink?

A GTX 970 and a Corsair 110.

The computer has been working since 2011?

You upgraded just those two parts without touching the rest of the computer. Meaning the RAM never moved, neither did the CPU or motherboard as it's all in the same case as before the upgrade.

You upgraded but never powered the 110 pump.

I'm only guessing but you disabled the CPU header to notify you about the fan / pump speed on POST. So you never knew the pump wasn't working. The computer booted first time after the upgrade? but later shut off due to no cooling?

Now it won't boot.

Did it ever boot after the upgrade? You should be able to get into windows even without a heat sink. So if never booted at all then that points towards the GPU.

So either the CPU fried from the CPU cooling, as no motherboard cooling was changed.

Or the GPU is DOA.

I've had the Gpu for about 3 months now and it's worked great, I had to clean the old thermal paste off the cpu before I could apply the new stuff so I had to move the cpu, And my pc immediately did what it's doing now when I first started it up before I realized that my pump was not plugged in. So I'm leaning more towards the mobo being broken.

I've had the Gpu for about 3 months now and it's worked great, I had to clean the old thermal paste off the cpu before I could apply the new stuff so I had to move the cpu, And my pc immediately did what it's doing now when I first started it up before I realized that my pump was not plugged in. So I'm leaning more towards the mobo being broken.

So, the 110 and GPU has been in the system for 3 months and all was good?

You later changed the thermal paste, left everything as is, put new paste on, put it all back together with no pump power and it immediately never powered back on?

The gpu hasn't been moved at all in those 3 months?

If that's correct then you must have either

1, damaged the motherboard somehow, like nicked a chip on the motherboard. Check the motherboard for damage.

2, applied far too much pressure on the cpu when reinstalling the 110. Check your CPU pins if any are bent or the motherboard has warped.

3, put too much thermal paste on the cpu that it's touched somewhere it's not supposed to be. This normally wouldn't be a big problem if it's not conductive. Check all around the cpu socket and pins as it can go underneath if enough pressure is applied.

If it did power on after the thermal paste change then you've either

1, wrecked the CPU, especially if it's still in the bios while it blew as it doesn't throttle within bios.

2, blown something on the motherboard (unlikely)

This would be far harder to find a solution, rather than putting it into another machine or RMA the parts if possible.

It's not a race to the bottom.

The h110 gt I just bought.

So, the 110 and GPU has been in the system for 3 months and all was good?

You later changed the thermal paste, left everything as is, put new paste on, put it all back together with no pump power and it immediately never powered back on?

The gpu hasn't been moved at all in those 3 months?

If that's correct then you must have either

1, damaged the motherboard somehow, like nicked a chip on the motherboard. Check the motherboard for damage.

2, applied far too much pressure on the cpu when reinstalling the 110. Check your CPU pins if any are bent or the motherboard has warped.

3, put too much thermal paste on the cpu that it's touched somewhere it's not supposed to be. This normally wouldn't be a big problem if it's not conductive. Check all around the cpu socket and pins as it can go underneath if enough pressure is applied.

If it did power on after the thermal paste change then you've either

1, wrecked the CPU, especially if it's still in the bios while it blew as it doesn't throttle within bios.

2, blown something on the motherboard (unlikely)

This would be far harder to find a solution, rather than putting it into another machine or RMA the parts if possible.

The CPU isn't fried. Not from heat anyways.... They have thermal shutdown protection, which should have kept any damage from occuring. I also doubt the board self-destructed from a simple cooler upgrade.

"I had to clean the old thermal paste off the cpu before I could apply the new stuff so I had to move the cpu"

If by "move the cpu" you mean removed it from the socket, I'd start looking for a bent pin. That sounds much more likely, especially since the PC was running fine before.