Maximum number of times you can reinstall a case fan?

KeitaRR

Since the screws for the case fans cut into the plastic, is there a limited number of times you can reinstall a case fan before it gets too loose and can't be secured at all?

That would depend entirely on the plastic. It should always be fine though; even if the screws don't thread through the fan, they will still thread through the holes in the case, unless those are also completely worn.

I've used the same fans many many times and never had problems. Maybe like, 1000 times? lol

Unless you over tighten the screws and strip the plastic I don't think they'll ever just wear out. And even if that does happen you could always use those new anti-vibration rubber mount things instead of screws. I guess the answer would be as many times as you want.

"Wisdom III" AMD FX 8120 @ 4.1Ghz // Biostar TA990FXE // 16GB GeIL Black Dragon (8x2) // Saphire HD 7870 OC Edition // CORSAIR TX850M // Curcial M4 64GB (boot) // Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB (storage) // Cooler Master Hyper N 520 // Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

It would depend on how good the quality of the plastic is. Just follow the same way in how you screwed it in before so you don't have to grind plastic again thus wearing the plastic.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I agree with what everyone else said, I do not see how it would ever become loose unless you squeezed a bigger size in there and then went back to regular ones. If all else fails you could use string lol.

If you do it right (which isn't hard to mess up) then pretty much as long as it will last

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

thanks everyone, i was just wondering in general. coz every time i remove the fan there are always bits of plastics on the screws, even after 5 times of removing and reinstalling. Unlike others where the plastic has a pattern for the screws to follow, case fan screws always cut the plastic, so i thought there must be a limit. Now i have one less thing to worry about =)

2 words. Cable Ties :)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

2 words. Cable Ties :)

For attaching fans? O.O

yes that works.

the first screws you put in, are creating the thread that other screws will also take. so you can allways use it.

but serious, get some rubber mountings. those are really easy and reduce noise. and they arent that expensive.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

even if the fan gets cut up, you could just get nuts and bolts the right size ant it should work

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

even if the fan gets cut up, you could just get nuts and bolts the right size ant it should work
This! Had to do it before on crappy fans that lose their thread.

I don't think there is a limit especially if you use rubber mounting pins instead of screws.

In the case of 200mm NZXT fans, once. :(

I'm using zip ties on mine right now.

I prefer to use 1.25" 6-32 screws and bolts on most of my fans.