What's the score currently with images in email?

A client asked me to help put images in emails.

What do you tell someone when asked for this?

My standard advice is don't. Not because it doesn't work but, if I advise someone to do this then they 'help' other people change their email client settings to see images in incoming email, they're inviting spam. Not upon themself but upon their friends and family and clients.

Edit:

So how do images work in email these days?

I can attach and I can link HTML-style but is that still the whole story?

Is spam still the prob it was and for the same reasons?

endEdit

I give a lot of computer advice one way or another and this issue of images in email is making me look like an idiot when It's clearly so easy to throw an image in an email...!

I'm aware of a few things that a) help against spam but B) make it very difficult to explain the situation...

• Control your own email servers & load only from internal or trusted sources
  • I think MS and gmail email servers actually load images before time then reserve them (I'd shit a brick if I was a spammer and suddenly MS&G started routinely loading several MILLION of my bait-images at a time every twenty seconds!!!)
  • I'm sure Apple has clever ways to help too - the client who asked me for this help is an Apple (ab)user so everything just works... Making it more stupid for me to say don't do it

Don't get me wrong - I don't mind looking like an idiot... If only my clients would rebook me even when I do so!!

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | 2500k | 16GB Geil 1866 | Seasonic g360 | Windforce GTX660 | SSDs: 250GB 840 + 2x240GB m500 Striped | Spinners: 640GB 2.5" + 2x2TB Mirrored

QFR : TKStealth : Noctua : Abyssus : Nostromo : Dell & Asus screens on my Lavolta Triple

7 is my main OS + several VMs on my 500GB SSD Stripe

True. That's what I did (Well, I say that, we were looking at her iPhone at the time... her hairdresser showed us both how to do it...)

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | 2500k | 16GB Geil 1866 | Seasonic g360 | Windforce GTX660 | SSDs: 250GB 840 + 2x240GB m500 Striped | Spinners: 640GB 2.5" + 2x2TB Mirrored

QFR : TKStealth : Noctua : Abyssus : Nostromo : Dell & Asus screens on my Lavolta Triple

7 is my main OS + several VMs on my 500GB SSD Stripe