Key Wobble

Jessop

I would love Linus to do a comparison key wobble test on the top 10 mechanical keyboards 

specifically - Press a key down firmly and rotate the finger in a circular motion to see if the keycap stays rigid or if the keycap bends to follow one's finger movement ( wobble ) - 

I've seen countless articles describing  differences between different MX switches . blue,red,brown etc... and countless articles reviewing different mechanical keyboards - Corsair K70 , Razer blackwidow Chroma , Das , etc ...

the list goes on and on 

BUT - I have yet to see a single reviewer to actually press a key down and see how rigid the keycap sits on the stem of the key switch and rotate his finger and see if the keycap stays firm or if it wobbles .

I'm sure there are many ppl who don't care about key wobble but i happen to be one who does 

I have both a K70 with MX cherry red's and a Razer blackwidow with Razer green switches  ( Khail ) - the keycaps on the corsair K70 are pretty rigid and don't wobble much but the Razer switches are all over the place - - I love both keyboards - but if i had know about how much key wobble the razer had before i bought it - i might have gone elsewhere with my money.

I do love the functionality of the Razer Blackwidow chroma - especially the 5 macro keys but i wish  the keycaps had the same rigidity as the K70 - 

BTW - i did remove a few keycaps from the K70 and try them on the razor and it made no difference - it seems the keycaps from the K70 don't fit snugly enough on the razer switches to eliminate key wobble - or - the actual razer green switch is not as well built as the cherry switch and the actual switch stem is not as tight fitting and therefore contributes to key wobble

any thoughts to share on the subject of key wobble -?

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

Yeah, tried wobbling the key around on my friend's Blackwidow and it can basically do a 360 (noscope?).

Would be interesting to see a small review or comparison of the keyboards they actually have in the office, because usually they get review samples they send back (I think?)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

What I'm really keen to see is a Proper Key wobble test by linus on the top 10 Mechanical keyboards 

Razer blackwidow Chroma - Corsair K70  - Das , Logitech etc ....

BTW - the keycaps on the razer blackwidow are total cheap Junk  - its almost paper thin fragile plastic.

I would gladly Drop $300 on a really well made PRO level razer Blackwidow chroma with Cherry MX blues or Browns  with keycaps that are totally rigid with ZERO key wobble 

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

What I'm really keen to see is a Proper Key wobble test by linus on the top 10 Mechanical keyboards 

Razer blackwidow Chroma - Corsair K70  - Das , Logitech etc ....

BTW - the keycaps on the razer blackwidow are total cheap Junk  - its almost paper thin fragile plastic.

I would gladly Drop $300 on a really well made PRO level razer Blackwidow chroma with Cherry MX blues or Browns  with keycaps that are totally rigid with ZERO key wobble 

Well I, and most people buying keyboards, wouldn't.

No wobbling keys is not worth 220 dollars to me. 

And yeah, heard the Blackwidow keycaps are pretty terrible.. But still thinking about getting a Blackwidow TKL because it's cheap, looks good and types good IMO

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I have Corsair k70 (Cherry MX red), Logitech G710 (Cherry MX blue)  and Ducky Legend (Cherry MX Blue). Among all of them k70 had the most key wobble and Ducky the least.

I'm hoping linus reads these posts and does a test/review of key wobble

Well I, and most people buying keyboards, wouldn't.

No wobbling keys is not worth 220 dollars to me. 

And yeah, heard the Blackwidow keycaps are pretty terrible.. But still thinking about getting a Blackwidow TKL because it's cheap, looks good and types good IMO

Don't get me wrong - overall I LOVE the Razer blackwidow Chroma - great software - Best led's of any RGB mech keyboard I've seen so far - but if u playing a game where u need to hold down a key for long periods of time -  the W key to walk forward  for eg.  it can get irritating if it wobbles all over the place -

but that's all down to personal taste - I hope someone from Razer comes here and sees this post and jacks up the quality of their top of the range blackwidow keyboards - they are awesome but could be even better

Better quality key switches / keycaps and also the symbols on the top right that indicate - caps lock , num lock , and scroll lock are almost totally obscured and invisible - its definitely a design fault -   

I have a K70 RGB with brown switches. I don't know what one would define as a lot of key wobble, but I don't think there is much. Not an amount to justify not buying the keyboard for such a reason, that's for sure.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Quality control with the Razor switches is said to be sub-par compared to the cherry quality control. The keycaps may also be the culprit.

Who needs a computer when you have a toaster?

The key wobble of my longer keys on K95 is probably the only reason I can't say I love my K95 

True  my K70 also has some key wobble on the longer keys but nothing that really bothers me as much as the intolerable wobble on the blackwidow chroma- as much as Razer want's the public to believe that they have watchdogs actually inspecting and checking production of the new Razer  key switches I highly doubt it .

like I stated in my earlier post I have both the Corsair K70 with Cherry MX reds and the Razer blackwidow Chroma - I prefer the quality of the cherry switches - especially the way the keycaps fit tightly on the stems of the switches - very little wobble - even when holding a key down and rotating my finger the keycap stays upright and rigid  - unfortunately I cannot say the same thing about the Razer - the keyswitches / keycaps are sub par - they wobble all over the place - 

the keyboard itself is great - I love the features of the blackwidow - especially the brightness of the Led's and the 5 macro keys , and the software is easily the best of any programmable keyboard out there ATM. BUT - - 

if only razer had put cherry MX blues or browns on this and checked the rigidity of the keycaps and key switch stems - then this would have been my desert island mechanical keyboard.

oh well - i'll keep dreaming I guess  - i could always try source a 2013 edition of the blackwidow but then there wouldn't be the RGB led's :(

Quality control with the Razor switches is said to be sub-par compared to the cherry quality control. The keycaps may also be the culprit.

totally agree - My Razer Blackwidow Chroma Key switches are total utter CRAP - the key wobble is intolerable - 

it seems ALL reviews I've read so far focus on features / RGB led's / macro keys / rigidity of the keyboard etc...... - 

the reality is - PPL USE THIS TO PLAY GAMES - 

do this test 

Hold down the W key in a game where it's used to walk forward - rotate your finger in a circular motion on the W key - does it stay upright or does it bend all over and follow your finger - 

if you using a Razer mechanical 2014 or later model i'm betting the key wobbles all over and follows your finger - now go over to a Cherry MX switch keyboard and do the same test - observe the results  - wish linus would do a key wobble test of all major mechanical keyboards and post the Results so ppl could choose a product based on Fact and not hype

Razer key switches are utter CRAP IMHO - I wish a Razer Rep would contact me so that i could educate them on what they need to be doing to make their keyboards better.

oh and another thing - only a Retard would place a USB slot on the right hand side where most right handed ppl place a mouse mat and use a mouse - why on earth put a USB slot right next to a mouse where it'll be in the way and probably get bumped and break

you can see the product was designed by ppl that type and do research - not game players  

LOL

having said all of the above - i do like the Razer blackwidow Chroma very much - the software is tops - the keyboard features / macro keys / and design are also really good - except for the hardly visible lights to show - scroll lock - caps lock - and gaming mode - and the placement of the headphone / mic and usb slot on the right 

so if a razor rep gets to see this post  - here are my thought to make the BL Chroma - the best Mech Keyboard on the market

1. Fix the hardly visible - caps lock / scroll lock / etc .....

2. Put the USB / headphone and mic Jacks  somewhere far away from where ppl use their mouse -

3. get PROPER quality control to completely eliminate  key wobble - I mean ELIMINATE  - it can be done Razer - if we can put satellites in space - keyboards can be built with ZERO key wobble

4. get high quality Key caps - double shot PBT