New build (share your thoughts please :) )

Hello there.

I'm currently planning on building a new rig in the next month and i'd love if you guys could share some of your ideas on the parts i picked.

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/PvYj99

Im not Deutsch, but the prices shown there are the closest to what i have.

Parts not mentioned above:
- case: either Zalman Z3 PLUS or Zalman Z9 PLUS (depending on avaibility, i heard those are quite good)

- psu: http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/251(couldnt find it in the part picker for some reason)

- gfx card: now, i was wondering about putting an 980ti in here (possibly evga/gigabyte one if they come out on reasonable prices), or an 980 :)

Now then, the pc is going to be used mostly for:

1. Some photoshop work (nothing "super big", 2D work)

2. Gaming (some newer games such as Shadow of mordor, or Battlefield 4, as well as Dota)

What are your thoughts guys, any suggestions? Im open to adding additional hundred or so USD if it's going to bring any significant performance.

I was also thinking if it would be reasonable to change to 2011-3 socket (like motherboard, rams, processor) and how much would that cost to be reasonable.

Thanks in advance for any responses. :)

You need to use the partpicker permalink. The /partlist/ will just take us to our own build. 

EDIT: @JustFull make sure you follow your topics (top right of the page) so you get notifications when people reply. Things get replies fast around here, it's a very active forum. 

1: as said, permalink.

2: prices and availability differ A LOT between european countries, fill out your profile, it'll make it easier for people to find the part just for you.

EDIT: 3&4: welcome to the forum @JustFull , theres a button in the top right hand corner to follow threads, this will give you notifications for new posts.

n1Yo8.jpg

Share the Permalink or use the Markup, use either "T" or "[bb]".

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Yes i just realised i posted the wrong link.

Edited it out. :)

So many replies tho. :o

Yes i just realised i posted the wrong link.

Edited it out. :)

So many replies tho. :o

If you're just gaming and photoshop, you don't need the i7. A i5 4690K will do fine. Same with the 16GB of RAM, it's not needed for that, 8GB will do okay.

I would swap out the cooler for a Hyper 212 EVO. I'd also go for a cheaper SSD (Crucial BX and MX series are good, as well as Corsair's LS series) as well as going for a 2TB hard drive. 

PSU is good, albeit overkill. You could make do with a 600W easily. 

As for GPU, if you're using 1080p, the 980Ti is overkill. The 980 is pretty much pointless from a price/performance view, so the 970 is the better option. For over 1080p or over 60Hz, the 980Ti is a good option. 

If you're just gaming and photoshop, you don't need the i7. A i5 4690K will do fine. Same with the 16GB of RAM, it's not needed for that, 8GB will do okay.

I would swap out the cooler for a Hyper 212 EVO. I'd also go for a cheaper SSD (Crucial BX and MX series are good, as well as Corsair's LS series) as well as going for a 2TB hard drive. 

PSU is good, albeit overkill. You could make do with a 600W easily. 

As for GPU, if you're using 1080p, the 980Ti is overkill. The 980 is pretty much pointless from a price/performance view, so the 970 is the better option. For over 1080p or over 60Hz, the 980Ti is a good option. 

Thanks for the thoughts.

Would 8GB ram/ i5 be enough for gaming @ over 1080p as well?.

Also, i dont really think i'll be using 2TB's of hard drive as im usually just sticking to 3-4 games i play at the time.

As for PSU, i know its a bit of overkill, but in that case, id rather stay safe and have a bit of overhead than feel sorry when something wont get enough power (on the other hand, would 600W be for sure safe for the build with 980ti?).

As for the rest, since i'm saving up some money in here, what should i put those into, is it even worth to put those into anything? (like i can see 300$+ save in here)

Thanks for the thoughts.

Would 8GB ram/ i5 be enough for gaming @ over 1080p as well?.

Also, i dont really think i'll be using 2TB's of hard drive as im usually just sticking to 3-4 games i play at the time.

As for PSU, i know its a bit of overkill, but in that case, id rather stay safe and have a bit of overhead than feel sorry when something wont get enough power (on the other hand, would 600W be for sure safe for the build with 980ti?).

As for the rest, since i'm saving up some money in here, what should i put those into, is it even worth to put those into anything? (like i can see 300$+ save in here)

8GB would be enough for that, yes. 

1TB can go pretty quick, but it depends on what you're storing. I have a load of movies and such on my HDD, so I eat up space quickly.

Even 500W would handle a 980Ti, but 600W is a better idea, it gives you more room for changing things and overclocking. 

You could put the money into making the build more attractive if you're into the looks of it. Or you could use it to buy some nice peripherals, like a mechanical keyboard and good mouse. 

8GB would be enough for that, yes. 

1TB can go pretty quick, but it depends on what you're storing. I have a load of movies and such on my HDD, so I eat up space quickly.

Even 500W would handle a 980Ti, but 600W is a better idea, it gives you more room for changing things and overclocking. 

You could put the money into making the build more attractive if you're into the looks of it. Or you could use it to buy some nice peripherals, like a mechanical keyboard and good mouse. 

Curious. Would i5 4690K be able to handle gaming + streaming at the same time ? (might consider that)

Also, switching to http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/250as you suggested and 8gb ram.

Any ideas on 980ti avaibility in Europe? (especially the evga/gigabyte as mentioned eariler, when are they going to be avaible? Any idea on prices?)

Curious. Would i5 4690K be able to handle gaming + streaming at the same time ? (might consider that)

Also, switching to http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/250as you suggested and 8gb ram.

Any ideas on 980ti avaibility in Europe? (especially the evga/gigabyte as mentioned eariler, when are they going to be avaible? Any idea on prices?)

No replies on this one. :|