Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

MrTopSodaPop

So im ordering my gaming/editing pc very soon and i am going to run 8.1 64bit on it but my mate just told me that windows 10 is coming out on the 29th and i really want it but im scared of upgrading because im still a noob when it comes to upgrading windows so i have a few questions 

1. What could go wrong when upgrading from win 8.1 to 10? cause i really dont want something to go wrong and ruined my mood 

2. Will it be less demanding on the system and run better when gaming ?

3. How does this free year upgrade work? 

4. What is a clean install when upgrading ?

Thank you for taking the time to answer any of my question and thank you for any help 

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)

So im ordering my gaming/editing pc very soon and i am going to run 8.1 64bit on it but my mate just told me that windows 10 is coming out on the 29th and i really want it but im scared of upgrading because im still a noob when it comes to upgrading windows so i have a few questions 

1. What could go wrong when upgrading from win 8.1 to 10? cause i really dont want something to go wrong and ruined my mood 

Thank you for taking the time to answer any of my question and thank you for any help 

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Here's what i got as far as i know

1: as long as your power doesn't go out, you should be fine

2: DirectX12 promises just that as well as better graphics, but not all DX11 games are going to get ports to DX12, so you should likely see better or no difference in performance there

3: If i'm correct, you can upgrade free from the 29th of July 2015 to the same day in 2016. After that, it'll cost money

4: that's wiping your harddrive. If you're going to do a clean install, backup your important documents and such onto another drive or onto the cloud

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

Here's what i got as far as i know

1: as long as your power doesn't go out, you should be fine

2: DirectX12 promises just that as well as better graphics, but not all DX11 games are going to get ports to DX12, so you should likely see better or no difference in performance there

3: If i'm correct, you can upgrade free from the 29th of July 2015 to the same day in 2016. After that, it'll cost money

4: that's wiping your harddrive. If you're going to do a clean install, backup your important documents and such onto another drive or onto the cloud

thank you very much your answer to 1 and 4 made my mind settle a lot thank you 

If you don't use registry cleaners, and you uninstall your anti-virus and any other security software (and restart your system afterwards), the upgrade should be smooth sailing. Of course, hardware fault due to manufacture error of your hardware, power loss, and other unexpected event can occur and 'cause you a headache. But that would be unlucky. I recommend to do a backup of your stuff to put luck on your side in the case something fails.

It will be / should be, the same or less demanding on your system, due to Microsoft deeper optimization on trying to make Windows kernel run on phones, and Windows 10 OS upper layers runs on low performing devices, such as affordable tablets.

Gaming performance is difficult to know. Usually you have to wait for 2-3 driver revision after the latest Windows is released to get the most optimized drivers. Usually review site jump on releasing benchmark numbers on day 1 of release, which tend to always indicate the same or a bit lower gaming performance than the previous version of Windows.

Once Windows 8 is installed and fully updated, after a while, and reboot, you'll get a notification on your notification tray (next to the clock), a Windows icon. Click on it, and you can reserve your copy of Windows 10. This will pre-download a few days in advance Windows 10, so that it would be ready to install on July 29, so that you can start enjoying the OS on day 1.

We sadly don't know more than this. Don't ask about re-installs and such, we don't know. We do know it is possible to do a clean reinstall if needed, but again no details. How do you get the ISO? Where/How do you get the product key? is all questions that we don't know at the moment.

For the best, for sure, experience, I would wait for Windows 10 official release and buy the OS then. It is so close to release, might as well wait.

I don't understand your question. :/

If you don't use registry cleaners, and you uninstall your anti-virus and any other security software (and restart your system afterwards), the upgrade should be smooth sailing. Of course, hardware fault due to manufacture error of your hardware, power loss, and other unexpected event can occur and 'cause you a headache. But that would be unlucky. I recommend to do a backup of your stuff to put luck on your side in the case something fails.

It will be / should be, the same or less demanding on your system, due to Microsoft deeper optimization on trying to make Windows kernel run on phones, and Windows 10 OS upper layers runs on low performing devices, such as affordable tablets.

Gaming performance is difficult to know. Usually you have to wait for 2-3 driver revision after the latest Windows is released to get the most optimized drivers. Usually review site jump on releasing benchmark numbers on day 1 of release, which tend to always indicate the same or a bit lower gaming performance than the previous version of Windows.

Once Windows 8 is installed and fully updated, after a while, and reboot, you'll get a notification on your notification tray (next to the clock), a Windows icon. Click on it, and you can reserve your copy of Windows 10. This will pre-download a few days in advance Windows 10, so that it would be ready to install on July 29, so that you can start enjoying the OS on day 1.

We sadly don't know more than this. Don't ask about re-installs and such, we don't know. We do know it is possible to do a clean reinstall if needed, but again no details. How do you get the ISO? Where/How do you get the product key? is all questions that we don't know at the moment.

For the best, for sure, experience, I would wait for Windows 10 official release and buy the OS then. It is so close to release, might as well wait.

I don't understand your question. :/

1,2,3 thanks so much that actually helped a lot and as for the last question it was stupid i Googled it