Will Windows 10 Be Available For the Free Year for Existing Tech Preview Users?

Derykey

Hey Everyone! Just quick question, I use windows 10 Tech Preview and i have gotten the notification on my Windows 7 PC (Laptop) That windows 10 will be available On July 29th, And i was wondering, Since i do have Windows 10 on my OWN Desktop PC, Will Existing Tech Preview Users be able to get the free year of windows 10? Or will They have to revert to an Operating System (EX. Windows 7, 8 or 8.1) To get it? 

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5 CPU: INTEL G4400 CASE: DIYPC-SOLO-T1-R 

HDD: 160GB SEAGATE SSD: 128GB SAMSUNG PRO 850

POWER SUPPLY: 550W ANTEC

Nope, only for those who have a legit windows 7 or 8 key.

I got a windows 8 pro key today on reddit (M$SoftwareSwap) for $20, definitely going to be worth it cause I'll be able to upgrade to 10 for free from that :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Hey Everyone! Just quick question, I use windows 10 Tech Preview and i have gotten the notification on my Windows 7 PC (Laptop) That windows 10 will be available On July 29th, And i was wondering, Since i do have Windows 10 on my OWN Desktop PC, Will Existing Tech Preview Users be able to get the free year of windows 10? Or will They have to revert to an Operating System (EX. Windows 7, 8 or 8.1) To get it? 

Technical preview users will update into the final version of windows 10 but that copy will not be marked as "genuine" windows. To make it genuine users will need to enter a key from 7 or 8

Technical preview users will update into the final version of windows 10 but that copy will not be marked as "genuine" windows. To make it genuine users will need to enter a key from 7 or 8

What benefits do "genuine" windows users get?

Is it worth it to buy 8.1 and roll back? I would prefer to not spend the money

isnt there an option in the technical preview to roll back?

Heyyo,

For the OP's question? People like us running the Windows 10 Insider Preview will be offered the chance to upgrade from the preview to the release version... but it'll be full price. :P

If you want to get the free upgrade? You will need to install windows 7 or 8/8.1 and upgrade from that. An upgrade product key is different from a full product key.

What benefits do "genuine" windows users get?

Is it worth it to buy 8.1 and roll back? I would prefer to not spend the money

isnt there an option in the technical preview to roll back?

Genuine = non-pirated.

If your copy is pirated? It'll let you upgrade to Windows 10 maybe... but then when Genuine Validation randomly kicks in? it'll say your product key has been flagged for piracy and you'll lose your desktop background and it'll tell you your windows is not genuine and potentially after 30 days it could potentially prevent you from using Windows at all...

That? Or Windows will activate a genuine validation check on your current key and setup (maybe for those who use that bios image genuine validation hack meant for OEMs and such) and could potentially cause a pirated version of Windows 7 or 8 to do the whole "you may be a victim of counterfeit"

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Heyyo,

For the OP's question? People like us running the Windows 10 Insider Preview will be offered the chance to upgrade from the preview to the release version... but it'll be full price. :P

If you want to get the free upgrade? You will need to install windows 7 or 8/8.1 and upgrade from that. An upgrade product key is different from a full product key.

Genuine = non-pirated.

If your copy is pirated? It'll let you upgrade to Windows 10 maybe... but then when Genuine Validation randomly kicks in? it'll say your product key has been flagged for piracy and you'll lose your desktop background and it'll tell you your windows is not genuine and potentially after 30 days it could potentially prevent you from using Windows at all...

That? Or Windows will activate a genuine validation check on your current key and setup (maybe for those who use that bios image genuine validation hack meant for OEMs and such) and could potentially cause a pirated version of Windows 7 or 8 to do the whole "you may be a victim of counterfeit"

My windows 8 was genuine, and 10 was from microsoft... Dietrichw said we may be able to upgrade, but it wont be marked as "genuine"

so i will have to buy an OS again...I still have the windows 8 disk, but the key has already been used...Really screws over the testers...

Heyyo,

My windows 8 was genuine, and 10 was from microsoft... Dietrichw said we may be able to upgrade, but it wont be marked as "genuine"

so i will have to buy an OS again...?

The insider preview is just that, a preview, a beta-test. The Insider Preview version will expire sometime after the release of Windows 10. The only difference between this insider preview and previous generations like Windows 7? You can buy a full product key and upgrade the insider preview to Windows 10.

To claim the free upgrade from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10? you have to have it installed and running and get the popup in your system tray so I'm guessing you'll need to do the genuine validation before it'll pop up. Once that's done? Then it should give you a product key to your email address.

Heyyo,

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Heyyo,

The insider preview is just that, a preview, a beta-test. The Insider Preview version will expire sometime after the release of Windows 10. The only difference between this insider preview and previous generations like Windows 7? You can buy a full product key and upgrade the insider preview to Windows 10.

To claim the free upgrade from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10? you have to have it installed and running and get the popup in your system tray so I'm guessing you'll need to do the genuine validation before it'll pop up. Once that's done? Then it should give you a product key to your email address.

alright thanks...guess i will have to pay again :/

Heyyo,

alright thanks...guess i will have to pay again :/

No you won't, you'll just have to install Windows 8 and use your genuine windows 8 product key and then claim your free upgrade to Windows 10 from that.

Of course, you can only get one product key for your Windows 8 product key so you can't just go repeating the process on multiple units. :P

Heyyo,