Best camera for £100-150?

Hey everyone, I've decided I need a camera in my life.

I'm lying here in bed watching a beautiful orange-purple sunrise, if I had a decent camera I'd throw some clothes on, find a nice vantage point and snap away.

I've also been occupying a lot of my time by going on long walks, and frankly Scotland is too beautiful to not photo, plus I wish to travel soon.

My phone just does not cut it anymore.

So I'm after a decent camera in that price range, not sure what I can get for the money, but I find myself increasingly photographing landscapes and I'd also like something that performs decently well at night, and can capture details even when facing the sun (most things when shot in the direction of the sun come out very dark on my phone). A decent zoom wouldn't be unappreciated either - but I don't know what 5x or 10x or 30x really achieves.

If anyone could give me a few suggestions or some direction I'd be very grateful.

Cheers guys :)

Chris

I've also been occupying a lot of my time by going on long walks, and frankly Scotland is too beautiful to not photo, plus I wish to travel soon.

Take it you don't live in Glasgow then :P

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

Take it you don't live in Glasgow then :P

Nope, I'm in Edinburgh haha!

Nope, I'm in Edinburgh haha!

Haha same. Edinburgh is truly a beautiful place, even if you've lived here all your life.

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

Haha same. Edinburgh is truly a beautiful place, even if you've lived here all your life.

It is indeed, I've got Holywrood park and the Meadows on my doorstep and I'm hardly far from the hills in the south of he city. Plus the city's architecture is rivaled by few other cities.

It is indeed, I've got Holywrood park and the Meadows on my doorstep and I'm hardly far from the hills in the south of he city. Plus the city's architecture is rivaled by few other cities.

I live at the other side of Edinburgh (Baberton area, near the bypass), but I go to Edinburgh uni, so there's alot for me to see too.

Hey everyone, I've decided I need a camera in my life.

Chris

Not much in that price range (I could sell you my Olympus EPL1 ....just saying)

Not much perhaps something like this?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/sony/cyber-shot-dsc-wx350-digital-camera-90365/show.html

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I live at the other side of Edinburgh (Baberton area, near the bypass), but I go to Edinburgh uni, so there's alot for me to see too.

I'm at Edinburgh Uni too, but graduating this month!! I'm your standard Marchmont dweller haha.

Not much in that price range (I could sell you my Olympus EPL1 ....just saying)

Not much perhaps something like this?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/sony/cyber-shot-dsc-wx350-digital-camera-90365/show.html

Are you actually looking to shift your Olympus camera? I did a quick Google session - does it have a removable lens and if so, what is the standard lens like and what flexibility would using other lenses down the road give? I've noticed that camera is quite widely available second hand online at good prices, but is the comparatively low pixel count and 3x zoom something to worry about? As already said, I'm quite often taking landscape shots these days in the city, overlooking the city or along the coastline.

Sorry for all my noon questions :P

I'm at Edinburgh Uni too, but graduating this month!! I'm your standard Marchmont dweller haha.

Are you actually looking to shift your Olympus camera? I did a quick Google session - does it have a removable lens and if so, what is the standard lens like and what flexibility would using other lenses down the road give? I've noticed that camera is quite widely available second hand online at good prices, but is the comparatively low pixel count and 3x zoom something to worry about? As already said, I'm quite often taking landscape shots these days in the city, overlooking the city or along the coastline.

Sorry for all my noon questions :P

Yes, I have a new full frame camera, the EPL 1 is micro four thirds so a much larger sensor - forget about megapixel count, come on 4k is 8mp, you wouldnt say it looked bad!

Zoom depends on the lens you buy, it comes as you see it here on amazon,with the kit lens - you dont need zoom for landscape - you want wide angle

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-E-PL1-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B0036DE108/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433335473&sr=8-1&keywords=epl1

I shouldnt be talking about it here because its against CoC, feel free to PM me or something

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thanks, I'd be open to it from a reputable seller, but I don't know what the benefits of a DSLR over a compact or Bridge camera are. 

I know a good picture when I see one, but I don't know how to describe it in terms of camera specifications, if that makes sense. What makes a good camera good, essentially.

Thanks, I'd be open to it from a reputable seller, but I don't know what the benefits of a DSLR over a compact or Bridge camera are. 

I know a good picture when I see one, but I don't know how to describe it in terms of camera specifications, if that makes sense. What makes a good camera good, essentially.

Good pictures can be taken on rubbish equipment, composition and interesting subject material are the main factors in photography - the photographers skill

however better equipment can make getting the photo how you want it, much easier, they have greater control, more flexibility, higher quality optics, better low light etc etc etc

Different cameras appeal do different people and budgets, so its hard to give a definitive answer, generally bigger sensors = better low light + shallower depth of field, you want to pair it with good glass too (that is 100% key)

It'll be very tough to find a truly great camera at that price and I'd almost be willing to say to stick with your smartphone (if you have a good one like an iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6) until you could save up for something more substantial.

It'll be very tough to find a truly great camera at that price and I'd almost be willing to say to stick with your smartphone (if you have a good one like an iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6) until you could save up for something more substantial.

Thanks for your input, it's a OnePlus One I've got, and I have gotten some nice photos with it. I wouldn't actually save up to buy an expensive camera, I wanted something fairly cheap and cheerful, I've got more important things to be saving money for!

And besides, ShadowCaptain has sold me a camera, which should arrive next week (assuming he's legit haha)!

I look forward to playing around with it when it comes :)