Which platform to go on my next build?

Hello all,

So I might be making a new build in August/September so I wait for Windows 10, Skylake and for the dust to settle in the Gpu market.

My question is, when it comes to motherboards and CPU's which platform is "the future"?? Z107 or X99??

A couple of months ago I was convinced it was X99 but now I see all these new z107 MOBOS with DDR4 support and Skylake and I am confused.

Take into consideration, if I go forward with this build I will go all out, going for a 4k monitor with dual top tier gpus setup so i want to chose the mobo and cpu well, in case the year after i want to upgrade cpu i don't want to have to change mobo too.

I mostly game (that will be the main use of this machine) but I also do video and image editing.

So, z107 or X99? Or is there something else coming?

Thank you all!

Hello all,

So I might be making a new build in August/September so I wait for Windows 10, Skylake and for the dust to settle in the Gpu market.

My question is, when it comes to motherboards and CPU's which platform is "the future"?? Z107 or X99??

A couple of months ago I was convinced it was X99 but now I see all these new z107 MOBOS with DDR4 support and Skylake and I am confused.

Take into consideration, if I go forward with this build I will go all out, going for a 4k monitor with dual top tier gpus setup so i want to chose the mobo and cpu well, in case the year after i want to upgrade cpu i don't want to have to change mobo too.

I mostly game (that will be the main use of this machine) but I also do video and image editing.

So, z107 or X99? Or is there something else coming?

Thank you all!

If you plan on doing editing and want to run 3 or more GPU's in the future, X99 is the way to go. The base CPU, the 5820K will more than handle whatever you want to do with it.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

If you plan on doing editing and want to run 3 or more GPU's in the future, X99 is the way to go. The base CPU, the 5820K will more than handle whatever you want to do with it.

Thank you!

Yes some editing but gaming as main focus and I am planning on staying on 2 GPU's.

Cheers