Question for Windows 10

DotoreN

Installers usually require a specific OS. Does this mean when windows 10 comes, that a lot of programs will not be competible with windows 10 for the next few months (until programs are updated for w10)

Also I run windows 7 right now, it says my current programs will stay when I install windows 10? is this true? I always thought you need a clean install.

All programs from vista/w7 and up will work just fine, maybe a few will have some problems, but the vast majority will work fine.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yes, and no actuall read this page http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-specifications

Important notes

The upgradeability of a device has factors beyond the system specification. This includes driver and firmware support, application compatibility, and feature support, regardless of whether or not the device meets the minimum system specification for Windows 10.
If your PC or tablet is currently running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update, you can check to see if it meets the requirements by using ‘Check my PC’ in the Get Windows 10 app.
Applications, files and settings will migrate as part of the upgrade, however some applications or settings may not migrate.
For Anti-virus and Anti-malware applications, during upgrade Windows will check to see if your Anti-virus or Anti-malware subscription is current. Windows will uninstall your application while preserving your settings. After upgrade is complete, Windows will install the latest version available with the settings that were set prior to upgrade. If your subscription is not current, upgrade will enable Windows defender.
Some applications that came from your OEM may be removed prior to upgrade.
For certain third party applications, the “Get Windows 10” app will scan for application compatibility. If there is a known issue that will prevent the upgrade, you will be notified of the list of applications with known issues. You can choose to accept and the applications will be removed from the system prior to upgrade. Please be sure to copy the list before you accept the removal of the application.
Feature deprecation section

If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.
If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

All your programs and files will be transferred when you upgrade Windows 7 or Windows 8.x to Windows 10.

I personally recommend to uninstall your anti-virus and any security software right before doing the upgrade. From experience, some security software thinks the system is being attacked when a Windows update takes place, even service packs, and it ends up making a mess.
I say, uninstall it, once back in Windows 10, install your security software back

Of course, ALWAYS do a backup before starting the process. Just in case something goes wrong with either your system (hardware fail), or Windows update. And in any case, it is good to have a backup every now and then.

Ultimate question

Is windows 10 going to be worth it over windows 7? :D

If you think so, give me a few reasons why you think it's worth the hassle to upgrade (i'm pretty sure i'll upgrade, but I don't see the benefit yet apart from maybe a little more performance)

Ultimate question

If you think so, give me a few reasons why you think it's worth the hassle to upgrade (i'm pretty sure i'll upgrade, but I don't see the benefit yet apart from maybe a little more performance)

8.1 is worth it over windows 7 so windows 10 too.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Ultimate question

better speed an user interface plus you can just do it overnight, all of your programs will still be there  :)

8.1 is worth it over windows 7 so windows 10 too.

If I have to go by that argument, it'll be a no for me though.

My laptop (which I use for months already) has 8.1 and my gaming desktop has w7, and I honestly dislike windows 8.1 for productivity.

I'm interested in windows 10 simply because it's a good mix between 7 & 8.1. There's a reason why they went back to some sort of w7 design.

If I have to go by that argument, it'll be a no for me though.

My laptop (which I use for months already) has 8.1 and my gaming desktop has w7, and I honestly dislike windows 8.1 for productivity.

I'm interested in windows 10 simply because it's a good mix between 7 & 8.1. There's a reason why they went back to some sort of w7 design.

8.1 has the exact same design, you just don't use metro. On my desktop i never ever use metro and I don't mind it at all.

Spoiler