Hey guys. So which one's more reliable, better performance and long lasting, SSHD Hybrid Drives or HDD with manually cached using a separate SSD ?

Depends where you are from.

Like in UK, some guy got it for 60 pounds, you cannot buy HDD + SSD for that price there.

Still, prices are so cheap ( and too expensive on SSHD) so just get SSD + HDD.

I have a similar question as the OP.

I'm looking for a laptop and SSHD are quite popular and SSD + HDD is hard to find, if you're not looking for a gaming laptop.

So i'm not sure what storage to pick.

What's the main difference between: (speed, performance, reliability etc)

- SSD + HDD (obviously the best choice, but most expensive)

- SSHD

- HDD + 8gb ssd cache

- 7200RPM HDD

I guess the answer to this will also answer the question of the OP :)

It depends on what you use for caching and what size it is.

Intel Rapid Storage technology will speed up startup a lot but doesn't really help anywhere else (at least from what i can tell). In my system i have a 32GB cache SSD and a 5400rpm HDD any it doesn't seem faster in everyday use that it was without the cache. An SSHD will actually put programs etc on the SSD so will be faster in everyday use.

So: SSD>SSHD>HDD+Cache>HDD

"If in doubt, use a bigger hammer" Anonymous

It depends on what you use for caching and what size it is.

Intel Rapid Storage technology will speed up startup a lot but doesn't really help anywhere else (at least from what i can tell). In my system i have a 32GB cache SSD and a 5400rpm HDD any it doesn't seem faster in everyday use that it was without the cache. An SSHD will actually put programs etc on the SSD so will be faster in everyday use.

So: SSD>SSHD>HDD+Cache>HDD

Does the SSHD also have disadvantages ?

Not sure if it's that reliable if it's constantly swapping files/programs constantly between HDD and SSD.

Hey guys. So which one's more reliable, better performance and long lasting, SSHD Hybrid Drives or HDD with manually cached using a separate SSD ?

Hey H.K.

SSHDs are useful if you only use a few programs mainly on your computer. If you do a variety of things everyday with no consistency in the programs that are being loaded from the drive, you won't see any improvement. The downside of the drive is that you have no control whatsoever over what goes to the SSD portion of the drive. 
I could also suggest considering a dual drive, if it's in your budget. WD Black2 combines 120GB SSD with 1TB HDD in the same form factor where the two drives are treated and recognized independently. Here's a link with more info: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=46o78R

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey H.K.

SSHDs are useful if you only use a few programs mainly on your computer. If you do a variety of things everyday with no consistency in the programs that are being loaded from the drive, you won't see any improvement. The downside of the drive is that you have no control whatsoever over what goes to the SSD portion of the drive. 
I could also suggest considering a dual drive, if it's in your budget. WD Black2 combines 120GB SSD with 1TB HDD in the same form factor where the two drives are treated and recognized independently. Here's a link with more info: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=46o78R

Captain_WD.

Thanks that's actually a good idea and all but I something with a bit more capacity within a reasonable price.

Thanks that's actually a good idea and all but I something with a bit more capacity within a reasonable price.

Well in that case you might consider getting the largest SSD you can afford now and later on get a large HDD when more funds are available (or vice versa, but then you would need to reinstall/transfer the OS to the SSD).

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Does the SSHD also have disadvantages ?

Not sure if it's that reliable if it's constantly swapping files/programs constantly between HDD and SSD.

I currently have one in my laptop and i have seen no reliability issues with it at all

A disadvantage is that eventually it will wear out after a long time and they are more expensive than a HDD

I currently have one in my laptop and i have seen no reliability issues with it at all

A disadvantage is that eventually it will wear out after a long time and they are more expensive than a HDD

if it's constantly swapping files to the SSD side to boot programs faster, doesn't this mean the SSHD will wear out really quick?

Will a SSHD last 4-5years if used everyday?

I know the laptop can break within the 4-5years, but storage shouldn't die that quick honestly, and I have my doubts with the SSHD, because it almost sounds like it's "too good":p

It doesn't "constantly" swap programs. it simply writes the ones you use most frequently.

So it doesn't write much data, you simply read it a lot

Snip

I must ask does WD have and Hybrid drives? Or only dual drives like the Black^2 as I'm currently in the processing of parting out a build for an office and I think an SSHD/Hybrid drive would be the best storage option ... Also if they don't is there any particular reasoning just the stuff you mentioned in your post and/or legal/patent reasons?

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I must ask does WD have and Hybrid drives? Or only dual drives like the Black^2 as I'm currently in the processing of parting out a build for an office and I think an SSHD/Hybrid drive would be the best storage option ... Also if they don't is there any particular reasoning just the stuff you mentioned in your post and/or legal/patent reasons?

Hey GloriousPain,

WD currently does not produce SSHD drives. There used to be the WD Black SSHD but it's not in production anymore. Here's a link to it: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=UPc2Tm

I personally use a WD Black2 in my 5 year-old laptop and so far I'm pretty happy with what I see. It works a lot faster and much snappier than before, having installed the OS, some games and some programs on the 120GB SSD and almost filled up the 1TB HDD part with music and  pictures (even though the laptop has only a SATA 2 (3Gb/s) port). 

As a Western Digital representative I can't really comment on or recommend other companies or their products so I try to provide as much relevant information on the general product as I possibly can. :) 

As I've said before in many threads, SSHD drives are very good if you mainly do just a few things on them so they can cache the files of those particular programs/files, but if the system is used for a larger variety of things, a separate SSD with a separate HDD would make more sense since the user can actually choose what goes to the SSD and what stays on the HDD plus you would have more space on the SSD to work with in general. 

Captain_WD.

Hey GloriousPain,
-snip-
Captain_WD.

Thanks Captain WD, as said though the builds are for an office building so I think an SSHD would be a good idea when all they're gonna be doing is booting windows and microsoft excel; Some of these computers to my understanding aren't even gonna be connected to the internet... 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas