Nvidia GTX 780 TI or PNY GTX 780 TI

carlitosrj10

Okay guys so I really don't know much about video cards so sorry for sounding like a total noob.

I was watching the Ultimate 4K build guide to make my own 4K rig, and when it came to the video card, I was a bit confused. After looking up online to buy a GTX 780 TI, I noticed there were two types. One by Nvidia, and the other from PNY. Which is better? Are they the same? Which should I get? I'd really appreciate any help to clarify my lack of knowledge in graphics cards.

The video is outdated as there is already a new and better video card came out. If you are going for a 4k setup, get the Nvidia GTX 980 ti. Its currently on preorder starting today.

CPU: Intel I7-4790K OC to 4.6Ghz | Cooler: Corsair H100i | Motherboard: Asus Z97 PRO (wifi-ac) | GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Ram: 4 GB Corsair Vengeance x 2 and 4 GB HyperX Savage x 2  |

PSU: EVGA 850w Supernova G2 80PLUS GOLD | Storage: Fuijitsu 250 GB Mechanical Drive | Case: Thermaltake Urban T31

Okay guys so I really don't know much about video cards so sorry for sounding like a total noob.

I was watching the Ultimate 4K build guide to make my own 4K rig, and when it came to the video card, I was a bit confused. After looking up online to buy a GTX 780 TI, I noticed there were two types. One by Nvidia, and the other from PNY. Which is better? Are they the same? Which should I get? I'd really appreciate any help to clarify my lack of knowledge in graphics cards.

Same chip, different cooler design.

The PNY runs a little hot from my experience (by that I mean it's fan speed doesn't matter a damn, hovers at 80 anyway.) while the reference NVidia is cooler with it's fans up. I have both of them and the reference is cooler by a few C under load but the PNY overclocks better.

The video is outdated as there is already a new and better video card came out. If you are going for a 4k setup, get the Nvidia GTX 980 ti. Its currently on preorder starting today.

This is a good point. I'm waiting for pascal otherwise I'd grab a 980Ti

This is a good point. I'm waiting for pascal otherwise I'd grab a 980Ti

Paacal cards wont be out this year and he can grab 2 GTX 980 ti to handle everything thrown into it for a long while.

CPU: Intel I7-4790K OC to 4.6Ghz | Cooler: Corsair H100i | Motherboard: Asus Z97 PRO (wifi-ac) | GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Ram: 4 GB Corsair Vengeance x 2 and 4 GB HyperX Savage x 2  |

PSU: EVGA 850w Supernova G2 80PLUS GOLD | Storage: Fuijitsu 250 GB Mechanical Drive | Case: Thermaltake Urban T31

Paacal cards wont be out this year and he can grab 2 GTX 980 ti to handle everything thrown into it for a long while.

I know. I, personally, want some of the pascal features like the deep learning and FP16 stuff.

Like I said, if pascal didn't have those features, I would buy a 980 Ti now. Since I'm guessing OP doesn't need the pascal stuff, 980Ti is a very sound card to grab now.

Figured as much given the video was released almost 1 year ago and I knew there were better video cards out now but still expected a gtx 780 to be good. guess i can still go for the 980 ti. thanks guys!

Same chip, different cooler design.

The PNY runs a little hot from my experience (by that I mean it's fan speed doesn't matter a damn, hovers at 80 anyway.) while the reference NVidia is cooler with it's fans up. I have both of them and the reference is cooler by a few C under load but the PNY overclocks better.

Cool that answers my question! Thanks so much!

By any chance would it be better to get a single 980ti versus dual 780 ti? im sure i know the answer to that already but i need an experts opinion lol

By any chance would it be better to get a single 980ti versus dual 780 ti? im sure i know the answer to that already but i need an experts opinion lol

a single GTX 980 Ti is 4K gaming ready on almost every game now in the market. it will not reach 60 fps on some games but still playable. My advise is to get 2 GTX 980 Ti, if you want to dominate every game for the next 3 - 5 year(I'm stretching it to 5 years) on the best gaming experience for it.(I assume you will be gaming on this cards on 4k)

You can get one card first to test the waters, and you like it you can get another GTX 980 ti.

If you want to learn more on the GTX 980 Ti. go to http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/83377-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti/

there is a comparison between a GTX 980 Ti and GTX 780 Ti. (specification data).

It's better to just buy a single 980ti for now. And add another if you need more performance. I have 2 780ti's in sli for 4k gaming and I can tell you that it's not enough.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

GeForce GTX 980 Ti is best for 4K gaming and with 6GB of memory onboard, can expect better that can deliver playable 4K performance on a single GPU.

a single GTX 980 Ti is 4K gaming ready on almost every game now in the market. it will not reach 60 fps on some games but still playable. My advise is to get 2 GTX 980 Ti, if you want to dominate every game for the next 3 - 5 year(I'm stretching it to 5 years) on the best gaming experience for it.(I assume you will be gaming on this cards on 4k)

You can get one card first to test the waters, and you like it you can get another GTX 980 ti.

If you want to learn more on the GTX 980 Ti. go to http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/83377-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti/

there is a comparison between a GTX 980 Ti and GTX 780 Ti. (specification data).

Thanks! definately going to get 2 980ti now.

It's better to just buy a single 980ti for now. And add another if you need more performance. I have 2 780ti's in sli for 4k gaming and I can tell you that it's not enough.

that bad huh. thanks for the tip!