Time for an upgrade - any ideas for a new phone and carrier?

Puffhead

Hi there!
I've currently been with Virgin Mobile for the past 8 months with an LG Volt that I have loved, which today I dropped in a stream (And am currently attempting to dry out in rice)

Now lets say I have to get a new phone to replace it, what can I do for carriers and phones? 
I'm looking to pay $200 (OFF contract) at most for the phone, and $40/ month for service. Unlimited texting, and some amount of data (unlimited would be nice, but isn't necessary) are needed.  I also need to port my number over.

What can I do? Any suggestions?

I like virgin mobile, but it's either $500 for the S6 or $70 for a replacement, but I'd personally like an upgrade of a phone.

Edit:
United States

zenfone 2 for the phone

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Try the OnePlus One, that's my daily driver. Not sure if it works with Virgin Mobile, if your carrier has Mini or micro sim, that would work. Its 350 USD, and its a pretty powerful phone too.

Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: i7 4790k || Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO || GPU: GTX 770 || Mobo: Z97 PC Mate || Storage: 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro || RAM: 4x4GB 1333mHz

Canada or US?

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

zenfone 2 for the phone

Oh man!  I saw tek-syndicates review of this phone, I doughnut understand how it could only be $199.

What carriers could I use with it? 

Oh man!  I saw tek-syndicates review of this phone, I doughnut understand how it could only be $199.

What carriers could I use with it? 

all of em just get the right model

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Canada or US?

US.

all of em just get the right model

So I could activate this on VM?  

US.

So I could activate this on VM?  

yes if you get the right model

Boost Mobile, Moto E 2nd gen, 30$ month plan gives 2gb 4g data unlimited 3g data