Best budget monitors? Gaming/Audio mixing

SocomSuade
Go to solution Solved by Mistersprinkles,

If you get a 2.1 system, you won't be able to use it with the sub off for mixing. Look up what a crossover is. Systems that come in a box with a sub typically cross over between 100 and 150Hz.  You want speakers that will go down to at least 70Hz without the sub. Ideally more like 40Hz. 

I don't think you would be wise to buy regular 2.1 speakers for mixing. You want flat, un-colored sound for mixing. You can't get that out of a 2.1 system. 

This is what you want:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tannoy-Reveal-402-Professional-4-Powered-Monitors-for-Studio-Recording-/321714309893?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae7aacb05

Tannoy reveal 402. They are a full range speaker designed for mixing in small rooms. I have the 802s. They are quite decent little speakers. You won't do better than these for $220. 

You can hook them up to your machine directly with the included 3.5mm (1/8th inch TRS) minijack connectors. Each speaker comes with one cable. You link the speakers together with one cable then connect the other cable to your computer.

More ideally you should look into a DAC such as an audioquest Dragonfly ($150) some time down the road for vastly improved audio quality. 

The little Tannoy Reveal 402's have a lot of bass. Not an un-natural amount. You dont want that for mixing. They have a very respectable amount of not-over-biased bass for their size and the volume they play at. You won't be disappointed with them. 

For $20-30 less, you can get a pair of Presonus Eris 4.5's. The woofer is half an inch bigger, and it is kevlar, which is higher quality than what Tannoy is giving you. The Presonus have a more detailed high end but lack the low end punch of the Tannoys, so really it comes down to "What kind of music are you mixing?"

Alternatively you could get yourself some Sennheiser DJ headphones for $200 and have the best sound quality of the 3 options I've outlined. If you must have speakers though I suggest the Tannoys. 

If you buy "regular computer speakers" for mixing your mixes will sound like garbage when you move them to other systems. 

Was thinking about getting some monitors but need them to be available on Amazon for $150 or less.

These will be for mostly gaming but also audio recording and mixing.

I've been looking at the M-Audio AV-40 and the Klipsch Promedia 2.1

The M-Audio seem like they would be a little better just from the looks but I like that the Klipsch has the Subwoofer. It's not a must to have a subwoofer but it would just be cool to have and I might use that with gaming and turn it off for mixing.

Out if these which would be better and why?

Also what other speakers would you recommend in the price range?

Was thinking about getting some monitors but need them to be available on Amazon for $150 or less.

These will be for mostly gaming but also audio recording and mixing.

I've been looking at the M-Audio AV-40 and the Klipsch Promedia 2.1

The M-Audio seem like they would be a little better just from the looks but I like that the Klipsch has the Subwoofer. It's not a must to have a subwoofer but it would just be cool to have and I might use that with gaming and turn it off for mixing.

Out if these which would be better and why?

Also what other speakers would you recommend in the price range?

If you're paying that little, for mixing, you won't hear much benefit compared to a decent pair of headphones especially in an untreated room. That's been my experience. I'd invest in a decent pair of headphones

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

If you're paying that little, for mixing, you won't hear much benefit compared to a decent pair of headphones especially in an untreated room. That's been my experience. I'd invest in a decent pair of headphones

Yeah it's nothing serious, just for personal hobby. Would be mostly for gaming with some mixing here and there.

Just want something better than the $15 speakers I have.

If you get a 2.1 system, you won't be able to use it with the sub off for mixing. Look up what a crossover is. Systems that come in a box with a sub typically cross over between 100 and 150Hz.  You want speakers that will go down to at least 70Hz without the sub. Ideally more like 40Hz. 

I don't think you would be wise to buy regular 2.1 speakers for mixing. You want flat, un-colored sound for mixing. You can't get that out of a 2.1 system. 

This is what you want:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tannoy-Reveal-402-Professional-4-Powered-Monitors-for-Studio-Recording-/321714309893?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae7aacb05

Tannoy reveal 402. They are a full range speaker designed for mixing in small rooms. I have the 802s. They are quite decent little speakers. You won't do better than these for $220. 

You can hook them up to your machine directly with the included 3.5mm (1/8th inch TRS) minijack connectors. Each speaker comes with one cable. You link the speakers together with one cable then connect the other cable to your computer.

More ideally you should look into a DAC such as an audioquest Dragonfly ($150) some time down the road for vastly improved audio quality. 

The little Tannoy Reveal 402's have a lot of bass. Not an un-natural amount. You dont want that for mixing. They have a very respectable amount of not-over-biased bass for their size and the volume they play at. You won't be disappointed with them. 

For $20-30 less, you can get a pair of Presonus Eris 4.5's. The woofer is half an inch bigger, and it is kevlar, which is higher quality than what Tannoy is giving you. The Presonus have a more detailed high end but lack the low end punch of the Tannoys, so really it comes down to "What kind of music are you mixing?"

Alternatively you could get yourself some Sennheiser DJ headphones for $200 and have the best sound quality of the 3 options I've outlined. If you must have speakers though I suggest the Tannoys. 

If you buy "regular computer speakers" for mixing your mixes will sound like garbage when you move them to other systems. 

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.