So I decided to purchase a Corsair H50 for my i5 and was very impressed with the results. Under load while playing games with my Oculus Rift, it would creep up to 88C and with the H50, it never broke 59C. In a quest of curiosity I decided to try liquid cooling my XFX R9 290x. I figured a LOT of heat was originating from that thing, and plus it was very loud. So I bought a Kraken G10 and a Thermaltake Water Extreme 3.0.

Initially, I used the H50 with my 290x. I was not happy with the results. So much as opening a youtube video would cause the thing to hit 85-90C. Yes, just watching a youtube video. I thought "well surely this must be wrong" but I don't know. That's why I'm posting here. I figure you guys are good experts on this. Out of curiosity I spent a very cumbersome hour switching my 290 over to use the Thermaltake, and I am getting the same exact results.

I don't know if it's because of the thermal paste I used or what. This is my first time doing something like this, and from what I've researched some brands of paste are better for heat transfer with GPUs than others. Is that true? Also, I've seen multiple videos where people mention letting the paste set. What do they mean by that? I've checked to see if the insane temps were coming from the VRM but no, the VRM is actually very stable even under load, so I am lead to believe that this is just a thermal paste issue. I've used both coolers on my CPU with absolutely no problems.

What do you guys think?

post-232550-0-12200200-1433052115_thumb.

Did you buy heatsinks for your VRMs?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

I just recently purchased them (still waiting to receive them), but like I said I checked their temps with HWinfo and they are perfectly fine. The problem is specifically the GPU core temps. They get insane, but the VRM stays around the same temps even under load (40-50C).

I just recently purchased them (still waiting to receive them), but like I said I checked their temps with HWinfo and they are perfectly fine. The problem is specifically the GPU core temps. They get insane, but the VRM stays around the same temps even under load (40-50C).

use MSI afterburner to check the tempts

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Here they are in GPU-Z and MSI Afterburner

EDIT

I have my pumps hooked up to motherboard fan headers and I have removed any control over their voltages in the BIOS, so they are all receiving a full 12v. My fans are hooked up to a sentry and right now I have them all on max speed, and I'm still getting these results.

Here they are in GPU-Z and MSI Afterburner

EDIT

I have my pumps hooked up to motherboard fan headers and I have removed any control over their voltages in the BIOS, so they are all receiving a full 12v. My fans are hooked up to a sentry and right now I have them all on max speed, and I'm still getting these results.

Reinstall your AIO on your GPU. You could op for installing a copper shim in the middle of the AIO and the gpu core for better contact.

You should be getting far better temperatures with even a H50 than the aftermarket air cooler that the card comes with.

Also what are your temperatures with GPU-Z?

it really sounds like the cooler isn't sitting properly on the chip.  Can you double check if you can wiggle the cooler around?  you might also want to take a good look, because the cooler might not wiggle around but it might not still be attached properly.  resitting it would be where I would start.

work rig

cpu: AMD 5800X mb: Pro WS X570-ACE cooling: NH-D15 ram: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz ssd: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, 860 Evo 512GB   hdd: 4TB Seagate, 320GB gpu: Asus RTX-1060 6GB psu: Corsair RM750x display: Philips 32" 4K case: Fractal Design Define R6 Black

home lab and NAS

cpu: Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12c/24t) mb: Rampage 4 Black Edition cooling: Hyper 212 EVO ram: 64GB Corsair 1866mhz ssd: 2x Intel DC S4610 (480GB), 2x Intel DC P3605 (1.6 TB)  hdd: 4x Seagate IronWolf 4TB CMR, Seagate Exos 7E8 8TB, WD VelociRaptor 10K 450GB  gpu: Asus GTX-660 psu: Corsair HX850i case: Corsair 750D

it really sounds like the cooler isn't sitting properly on the chip.  Can you double check if you can wiggle the cooler around?  you might also want to take a good look, because the cooler might not wiggle around but it might not still be attached properly.  resitting it would be where I would start.

This.

Re seat if necessary.

I had a really hot core too (90*c /w Windforce cooling), and watercooled I would still see 70*c (overclocked)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Try tightening the AIO down more.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

You should be getting far better temperatures with even a H50 than the aftermarket air cooler that the card comes with.

Also what are your temperatures with GPU-Z?

http://puu.sh/i6PCb/539823f28a.png

I've re-seated it on multiple occasions. The cooler can not be wiggled or moved and pulling the cooler off clearly shows good contact between the copper base and the GPU die,

This.

Re seat if necessary.

I had a really hot core too (90*c /w Windforce cooling), and watercooled I would still see 70*c (overclocked)

Already tried that, multiple times.

Try tightening the AIO down more.

Any tighter and they will crack my PCB.

UPDATE

I decided to take another look at it, and it actually was NOT seated properly. The cooler on the XFX R9 290x has a plastic frame that mounts to the PCB and the rest of the stock cooler mounts to that. There's a little plastic part that sticks out juuust beneath the GPU die, and my cooler kept sitting up on that resulting in uneven contact. I pushed the cooler up so the copper plate wasn't sitting on it and now I idle at 30c and my card no longer overheats when opening a youtube video.

There you go.

And what is your temp under load?

work rig

cpu: AMD 5800X mb: Pro WS X570-ACE cooling: NH-D15 ram: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz ssd: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, 860 Evo 512GB   hdd: 4TB Seagate, 320GB gpu: Asus RTX-1060 6GB psu: Corsair RM750x display: Philips 32" 4K case: Fractal Design Define R6 Black

home lab and NAS

cpu: Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12c/24t) mb: Rampage 4 Black Edition cooling: Hyper 212 EVO ram: 64GB Corsair 1866mhz ssd: 2x Intel DC S4610 (480GB), 2x Intel DC P3605 (1.6 TB)  hdd: 4x Seagate IronWolf 4TB CMR, Seagate Exos 7E8 8TB, WD VelociRaptor 10K 450GB  gpu: Asus GTX-660 psu: Corsair HX850i case: Corsair 750D

There you go.

And what is your temp under load?

I haven't fully stressed it yet (the true test will be Oculus Rift + Streaming in 1080p), but I've played a few games and it stayed around 45C.