GTX 780 problems I need any help and advise

TheSprinkle

Hello everyone,

Not too long ago I bought the EVGA GTX 780 SC with ACX cooling with high expectations of running games to near or at the highest settings the game offers, my Driver version is 326.19 Beta. But recently I have been running into issues with the 780. My first problem when I was playing Battlefield 3 and Crysis 3, after a few short minutes both the game would crash, although they both had different error messages.

Battlefield 3 would have an error message stating ' DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG: Device hung due to badly formed commands.. GPU: "NVIDIA Gefore 780 ", Driver: 32619 '

Crysis 3's error message would state ' DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG '. When both of those errors would happen it would also come up with something along the lines of ' NVIDIA Displays drivers have stopped working '. Also in some other games such as Chivalry medieval Warfare the game would just freeze and when I would Alt Tab and then Alt Tab back into the game it was fine. So as you can see this is just a few of many problems.

My other problem is my frame rate on Crysis 3, I played with everything on the lowest settings and didn't have  Vsync or Adaptive Vsync turned on and still dropped to 50FPS every now and then. I would think a 780 wouldn't never drop to the a low of 50FPS with everything on low.

Over Clocking, alright I have been doing testing with my 780 with overclocking to see what I can hit frame rate wise in games. 

So the 780 has a GPU clock offset of 223Mhz and a 200Mhz memory offset, now this overclock was running fine and not crashing or overheating, so I am pretty sure it is stable but cannot fully test it out in Battlefield 3 or Crysis 3 until the error problem in the game is solved. Now just before someone says it is my overclock that is causing the errors I will tell you that I have ran my 780 at reference/stock settings to see if that was a problem but I am pretty sure that the overclock is not causing those errors.

3D Mark 11, so I used 3D mark 11 to see what kind of a score I would get but sadly the score I got was 10929 at stock settings. So I then overclocked my 780 at 223Mhz GPU clock offset and 200Mhz memory offset to see if I would get a increase in frame rate and score but no, a error message came up saying ' Workload work failed with error message: eva::d3d11::rendering::scene_renderer::render(): draw_unshadowed_illumination_task for thread 0: File: device_context.cpp

Line: 515
Function: struct ID3D11CommandList *__cdecl eva::d3d11::deferred_device_context::do_finish_command_list(bool)

Expression: native()->FinishCommandList( restore_deferred_context_state, &result): DX11 call failed.

Device hung due to badly formed commands.
DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG: ID3D11DeviceContext::FinishCommandList: ' as well as The NVIDIA Display error came up again.

So as you can see I am a bit concerned if there is something wrong with my 780 as it looks to be a DirectX error which are the errors I got with Battlefield 3 and Crysis 3.

System Specs:

Graphics card: EVGA GTX 780 SC with ACX cooling

CPU: i5 4670K

RAM: Corsair vengeance 1600MHz 16GB 

PSU: Corsair HX 850 power supply

CPU cooler: ThermalTake water 2.0 extreme

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero IV (6)

SSD: Samsung 840 120GB SSD

HDD: 2TB seagate Barracuda

Operating system: Windows 8 64-bit

Case: Corsair 650D Case

CPU fans: 2X Noctua NF-F12 PWN fans (Linus Should be happy :) )

Front Case fan: The Corsair fan that comes with the case.

They are the problems I am having with my 780 and hope anyone on the forum knows of these issues or knows how to fix them . If anyone needs more information about my PC or errors I will be happy to tell you them, and any comment would be well appreciated, but please no fanboy arguments in the comments as this is a serious issue and would love to get these problems solved as fast as I can. 

Just to also tell anyone reading this forum post I do not take myself as a know it all in computers, so if you think I am doing something wrong or I have got something at the wrong setting please do tell me in the comments. I will try my best to respond as quickly as possible to any questions or enquirers.  

Thank you to anyone who took time out of their day to read this forum post and I hope to get some answers soon.

Thank you, TheSprinkle  :D

And here is the my GPU overclock settings if anyone needs them.

post-16348-0-17873200-1374293904_thumb.j

create a second partition on your HDD around 100-200GB.

fresh install of windows on that partition.

install all drivers.

see if the problem persists.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I was about to say driver problems but uhh.. Are you overclocking, jumping right into a game and crashing? Sounds like a bad overclock.

This is still related: 

he said he tried it at stock and still had issues.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

create a second partition on your HDD around 100-200GB.

fresh install of windows on that partition.

install all drivers.

see if the problem persists.

Hello, thank you very much for your quick response, I will create a second partition on my HDD, but what would this do? Do you think that there maybe some corrupted files? 

he said he tried it at stock and still had issues.

I thought there might of been throttling er somethin. Ur idea is better with the fresh windows partition

Hello, thank you very much for your quick response, I will create a second partition on my HDD, but what would this do? Do you think that there maybe some corrupted files? 

I'm hoping it's windows,easiest issue to fix other than a bad overclock,driver,etc.

though it could be faults with the data on the HDD mostly pertaining to windows,that can be fixed with a reformat.

but going off of your desktop it seems that a reformat would be less than ideal,so I'd save that as one of the last options......lets set it aside to right before you RMA/Return/Smash the card into pieces.

have you tried a different PCIE slot?

try reverting the CPU to stock clocks and the memory to 1600mhz as well as the gpu to stock clocks,and see if that helps.

could also be drivers,heard many people complain about them lately,then again I've also heard many people say that they're fine.

Linus Sebastian said:

Yeah, try a fresh install of Windows and let's hope that it solves the problem. Also, have you made sure that everything is plugged in (not just the card, but the power connector on the card)?

Hi, I have had the same exact issue as you except battlefield 3 ran completely fine, but bioshock infinite and crysis 3 had this "directx11 driver error and crap", and I have a 7970. I had it overclocked to about 1200mhz on stock voltage and had been running battlefield 3 and a lot of other games perfectly stable for many hours on end but when I played these games I ran into problems. Googled it, some people claim steam overlay problems, that didn't fix it. I then proceeded to start lowering my overclock and now I'm sitting at 1170mhz and I never get those crashes anymore, but you claim that it still messes up on stock so I guess reformatting might be the best option.

I will go ahead and admit that I didn't read the entire post. I did however come to the conclusion that it might be some kind of driver conflict. When a video card is bad or overclocked too far it will just outright turn off. Most of the time it will blackscreen and take a minute or so to come back on. 

I own a 780 SC also (has stock cooler) and I haven't run into anything like this. I have tried the drivers you mentioned in your post with no issues in Battlefield 3. 

All I can suggest is what someone else suggested, make another partition and install Windows again. This will give you a clean slate. 

Personally, I have a 40gb mechanical laptop drive preloaded with known working drivers and settings. If I ever run into issues I boot from that and do some stress tests. If I can't recreate the issue on the known good install, I wipe my main drive and start over. I suggest you do something similar in this situation. 

also try 320.18 drivers.

Do you think I should try this before re-installing windows on the partition drive? 

Do you think I should try this before re-installing windows on the partition drive? 

well since it's on a partition it won't really hurt to do it first,do it in whichever order you prefer.

Linus Sebastian said:

well since it's on a partition it won't really hurt to do it first,do it in whichever order you prefer.

Okay, I just finished downloading Driver 320.18 I will play some Battlefield 3 and Crysis 3 to see if the error message comes up.

I was just running my overclocked profile in Battlefield 3 and the error message came up as soon as I opened up my game. Just then I opened my stock clock and didn't come up with the error message, which leads me to be confused.

On normal stock settings the error message still came up, so I will re install windows on the partition drive and see what will happens.

erase all, is a big step that you must try "avoid" until clear all your doubts 1s

for what i can see, you have the latest motherboard, and the latest cpu

(that can be tricky sometimes when they just have to release to the market)

but, one step at the time

if you have a old HDD you can do the full install test with out loss any data

(plug the fresh HDD, and unplug the SSD and the HDD to do the test)

Hello everyone, the errors are fixed. I re installed Windows 8 just like you guys said and have gotten no errors. Also by the looks of things Windows 8 wasn't installed correctly as somethings such as text looks smaller but crisper. Anyway Thank you everyone for all your reply's as they help dearly to solve the issue. Thank you everyone once again.

Hello everyone, the errors are fixed. I re installed Windows 8 just like you guys said and have gotten no errors. Also by the looks of things Windows 8 wasn't installed correctly as somethings such as text looks smaller but crisper. Anyway Thank you everyone for all your reply's as they help dearly to solve the issue. Thank you everyone once again.

yw  ^_^