What I've got Vs What I'll need

Go to solution Solved by Monsieuroberts,

So then my decision is to sit around until this 300 series comes out and see how it is. Thanks guys! 

Here's what I've got: 

i5 4670K @ 4.0
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
G.Skill Trident 8GB DDR3-2400
ASUS HD 7850 2GB

Crucial MX 100 256GB SSD and some other shite for storage
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W

(I also have a Hyper Evo 212 that's sitting around)

Here's what I want:

Witcher 3, 1080p (I'm not going any higher than this), 100% maxxed settings, as close to 60 as possible. AFAIK this is the most demanding game I'm interested in playing. No Star Citizen or Crysis. Other games include Warframe, WoW and Skyrim/Fallout with lots and lots and lots of mods. Texture mods to the extreme.

Here's what I need:

Help from you guys, please. What needs to go, what needs to change? Obviously my 7850 has to be kicked out the door. Is my processor okay for the demanding task I'm asking of it? My RAM? Should I be looking at a single 980, or some 970s? The 980 ti? Something from AMD instead? I donut know. I've seen some posts about the game running at a solid 60 with a single 980 at 1080p. I'm posting here because I'd rather hear it from tech enthusiasts and builders than some googled website which I've never heard of.

Let's say that the budget is $600 CAD. Don't hesitate to stay below or break that budget though, be realistic with me. I know what I'm asking for could be kinda pricey when looking at what I'm working with atm.

Pre-emptive thanks! 

Edit: Pretty fresh here, I don't know if I'm out of bounds with a thread like this or if I've posted it somewhere incorrect.

"In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything."

"It shall be engraved upon your very soul; Nibelung Valesti!"

Just upgrade your graphics card. Anything mentioned or the similar performing 290(x) should be fine.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Havnt Heard Much about them but heres a 980. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt9020210p

HEres a nice 970-http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42974kr

And the 290x-  http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr929xoc4gd

All which are in budget. Like I said I don't know much about this Zotac brand but it could be good :D

EDIT- Just read some reviews from NCIX and they seem top like it.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Here's what I've got: 

i5 4670K @ 4.0

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI

G.Skill Trident 8GB DDR3-2400

ASUS HD 7850 2GB

Crucial MX 100 256GB SSD and some other shite for storage

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W

(I also have a Hyper Evo 212 that's sitting around)

Here's what I want:

Witcher 3, 1080p (I'm not going any higher than this), 100% maxxed settings, as close to 60 as possible. AFAIK this is the most demanding game I'm interested in playing. No Star Citizen or Crysis. Other games include Warframe, WoW and Skyrim/Fallout with lots and lots and lots of mods. Texture mods to the extreme.

Here's what I need:

Help from you guys, please. What needs to go, what needs to change? Obviously my 7850 has to be kicked out the door. Is my processor okay for the demanding task I'm asking of it? My RAM? Should I be looking at a single 980, or some 970s? The 980 ti? Something from AMD instead? I donut know. I've seen some posts about the game running at a solid 60 with a single 980 at 1080p. I'm posting here because I'd rather hear it from tech enthusiasts and builders than some googled website which I've never heard of.

Let's say that the budget is $600 CAD. Don't hesitate to stay below or break that budget though, be realistic with me. I know what I'm asking for could be kinda pricey when looking at what I'm working with atm.

Pre-emptive thanks! 

Edit: Pretty fresh here, I don't know if I'm out of bounds with a thread like this or if I've posted it somewhere incorrect.

Remember to follow your topics :)

You CPU is good, as is RAM (maybe a little bit overkill...). 

I suggest you wait for this new AMD Radeon RX 3XX series. If you CAN'T do that, upgrade your PSU to a 750W and get either a single 980 or 970 SLI (you mobo supports it).

I suggest you wait for this new AMD Radeon RX 3XX series. If you CAN'T do that, upgrade your PSU to a 750W and get either a single 980 or 970 SLI (you mobo supports it).

750W is over kill. I don't think he can even SLI with that mobo.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

750 is for a future SLI.

And please re-read the mobo's name... I'm pretty sure that having "SLI" in it's name means it's capable of SLI...

Oh wow, you have to follow your own topic here. Very good to know, thanks! This 3XX series, is that what they were talking about on the WAN show, this Fiji card?

Just upgrade your graphics card. Anything mentioned or the similar performing 290(x) should be fine.

Also good to know, thank you. Going to try to find footage of people playing with a single 980 at max/ultra, see how their performance is. I've found the minimum and recommended specs, but it's seemingly impossible to find a list for max/ultra specs.

I'm pretty sure it can do SLI.

750 is for a future SLI.

And please re-read the mobo's name... I'm pretty sure that having "SLI" in it's name means it's capable of SLI...

Ignore what I said before lol plus... http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/GwR43CUnless he gets a 290x which he will need atleast a 850W to crossfire.

Edited by DarkBlade2117

Oh wow, you have to follow your own topic here. Very good to know, thanks! This 3XX series, is that what they were talking about on the WAN show, this Fiji card?

Also good to know, thank you. Going to try to find footage of people playing with a single 980 at max/ultra, see how their performance is. 

I'm pretty sure it can do SLI.

A pretty nifty feature :)

RX 3XX cards should come out sometime in June (as far as i know), and if you can wait, try to do that, if you can't, then go with 970/980/290x

IF you can't wait, i personally recommend 290x. It's the cheapest out of those 3, and it's performance is comparable to 970 (maybe a few percents higher). If you can find 970 for cheaper, you can also go with that, although beware of 3.5Gb scandal...

And yes, it can SLI

A pretty nifty feature :)

RX 3XX cards should come out sometime in June (as far as i know), and if you can wait, try to do that, if you can't, then go with 970/980/290x

IF you can't wait, i personally recommend 290x. It's the cheapest out of those 3, and it's performance is comparable to 970 (maybe a few percents higher). If you can find 970 for cheaper, you can also go with that, although beware of 3.5Gb scandal...

And yes, it can SLI

I'm not in a rush, so waiting is totally a viable option. I'd want to play through Witcher 2 anyway, which runs on this rig fine at medium w/ultra textures, sits at around 40...but I don't want to play it like that, I want the real experience, no exceptions! :P

This Asus GTX 970 comes with Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight, which seems like a great deal to me. Jesus the 980s are expensive, this is like $750 after tax & shipping for one component! 

I'm not in a rush, so waiting is totally a viable option. I'd want to play through Witcher 2 anyway, which runs on this rig fine at medium w/ultra textures, sits at around 40...but I don't want to play it like that, I want the real experience, no exceptions! :P

This Asus GTX 970 comes with Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight, which seems like a great deal to me. Jesus the 980s are expensive, this is like $750 after tax & shipping for one component! 

I think almost any 970 comes with it, http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076&AID=10657534&PID=3938566&SID=&nm_mc=AFC-C8JunctionCA&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JunctionCA-_-na-_-na-_-na&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-%zn which you could get a better  970 from eather EVGA or Gigabyte.

If you CAN'T WAIT for AMD, then go with 970. I suggest G1 gaming from Gigabyte. As far as i know, every 970 comes with those 2 games.

I also suggest you get that 750W PSU so you could SLI, if you want. If you don't, your current PSU is way more than enough :D

Also, look at this

If you CAN'T WAIT for AMD, then go with 970. I suggest G1 gaming from Gigabyte. As far as i know, every 970 comes with those 2 games.

I also suggest you get that 750W PSU so you could SLI, if you want. If you don't, your current PSU is way more than enough :D

Also, look at this

At 1080p you will not find yourself using more then 3.5Gbs. You can Still USE it, It is just much slower then the other 3.5gbs, That little .5Gb shouldn't stop someone from buying a 970. He also does NOT need a 750w for SLI. If he wanted a 290x and wanted to crossfire a 850w is easily needed. That 650w can easily handle a 970SLI, Even a 980SLI.

At 1080p you will not find yourself using more then 3.5Gbs. You can Still USE it, It is just much slower then the other 3.5gbs, That little .5Gb shouldn't stop someone from buying a 970. He also does NOT need a 750w for SLI. If he wanted a 290x and wanted to crossfire a 850w is easily needed. That 650w can easily handle a 970SLI, Even a 980SLI.

The problem isn't that it's slower, the problem is that it tanks the game performance... I also have a problem when companies lie when marketing, and nVidia hasn't even apologized or anything like that...

He uses an OC'ed CPU, and he might OC it more. And he even might OC the GPU. And no way that 650 is going to be enough

970 at full load draws around 300W. With 2 of them that's 600W. At the best case scenario he's left with 50W for the CPU (and we all know that PSU's don't have a 100% rating)...

That's why i said he'd need a new PSU...

So then my decision is to sit around until this 300 series comes out and see how it is. Thanks guys!